Karim
    Karim's Avatar Become A Pro!

Question concerning betting theory

Ok so my picks for tonight was following

Dallas - Oklahoma 2 @ 3,72 1,5%
    Dallas - Oklahoma 2 + 6,5 @ 1,97 0,5%

score was 100-96 and i made a minus of about 1%

so everyone is flaming me , that i pick the ML with higher stake , than the Spread..

my opinion is that the value on the ML was greater than the Value on the Spread, because for example oklhoma has the tendency to lose big if it doesnt work out well, so thats why i thought spread value might be decreased a little.
    so basically i think there can be different value when considering the ML or Spread..

their opinion is , that a dog will cover the spread much more often then they win it, so spread stake has to be always bigger than ml stake, if betting on both.
    also they say if i think the dog will win , spread is unneccesary, because it just decreases the profit.
    so what do you think ? is it always wrong to pick ML bigger then the spread ?
    or when to do it ? or should u ever pick ml and spread on one bet ?

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

The market thought it was a fair line, as it reached equilibrium at +6.5. You can calculate the expected value of each wager and compare them as:

EV = p[win]*(payout if win) - p[lose]*(amount risked)

You would need to assume/calculate the probabilities for the win/loss for both the spread and ML first though and compare them to the probabilities implied by the available prices to see if you're getting a good or bad price. The difference between what you think the probability of winning and the probability implied by the line is how you determine which is better.

tukkk
    ★★★★★
    tukkk's Avatar Become A Pro!

you should think about how you came up with 0,5% and 1,5% , whats their relation and why.
    randomly picking numbers is very likely losing money

is it always wrong to pick ML bigger then the spread ? no, if the price is at some point off, then get the value (but be very careful how much you bet)
    or when to do it ? see Q1
    or should u ever pick ml and spread on one bet ? see Q1

brewers7
    brewers7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4441

Quote Originally Posted by tukkk View Post
    you should think about how you came up with 0,5% and 1,5% , whats their relation and why.
    randomly picking numbers is very likely losing money

is it always wrong to pick ML bigger then the spread ? no, if the price is at some point off, then get the value (but be very careful how much you bet)
    or when to do it ? see Q1
    or should u ever pick ml and spread on one bet ? see Q1

Karim:

I used to talk to a professional handicapper from Sweden daily online for 2 full NBA seasons and he was the one who got me thinking hard about betting moneyline dogs as he did it all the time...And I have been doing it myself the last few years now, too...

However, he would never do it like you just did...

If you are going to bet BOTH the spread and the Moneyline Dog, always "sprinkle" a smaller bet on the ML Dog...Especially in this situation, where the Dog got 6.5 points...It's basically "standard procedure" to make a normal bet with the points and then put a small percentage of that normal bet on the ML Dog...The bigger the Dog, the smaller the percentage bet needed for the "sprinkle" on the ML Dog...