excel question

I have the following data
    Sunday, 4/24/2011 (8:05 PM)
    What is the formula for just getting the 4/24/2011 data

uva3021
    uva3021's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 381

Assuming you have info in cell A1

=LEFT(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,LEN(A1)),LEN(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,LEN(A1)))-FIND(" ",MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,LEN(A1))))

Formulawiz
    Formulawiz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Works great
    Thanks

Formulawiz

Formula seems to work but the cell is not recognizing it as a date.
    I am using the following formula to compare that date to todays date with the following formula but it does not work
    =IF(AN6=TODAY()," ",AG9)
    Any ideas

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

DATE( MID( AN6,5,2),LEFT( AN6,2),MID( AN6, 3,2))

I saw that there are several ways to do it. This one looks to be the most straight-forward. Bolded is the cell you referenced in your post. Not sure if that is what it still is, so adjust accordingly.

Formulawiz

Quote Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
    DATE( MID( AN6,5,2),LEFT( AN6,2),MID( AN6, 3,2))

I saw that there are several ways to do it. This one looks to be the most straight-forward. Bolded is the cell you referenced in your post. Not sure if that is what it still is, so adjust accordingly.
    Does not work. I am not sure what you are trying to do with your formula.

mrtomk
    mrtomk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 771

Quote Originally Posted by Formulawiz View Post
    Formula seems to work but the cell is not recognizing it as a date. I am using the following formula to compare that date to todays date with the following formula but it does not work =IF(AN6=TODAY()," ",AG9) Any ideas
    This formula works fine for me. What is the problem? Are you getting an error message or what?

Formulawiz

Quote Originally Posted by mrtomk View Post
    This formula works fine for me. What is the problem? Are you getting an error message or what?
    I am getting #VALUE

Are you looking at the cell that has the value 4/26/2011 or Monday, 4/25/2011 (7:10 PM) to obtain the date

mrtomk
    mrtomk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 771

Im using the value 4/26/2011, it doesnt give me an error, but it does give me the wrong result (ie saying it doesnt equal today when it does), I assume because of the formula and formatting.

In the cell next to the extracted value 4/26/2011 (A1), use =datevalue(A1), and that should show it as a date to use in your if function. As for the #value error, Im not sure without looking at the related cells.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Quote Originally Posted by Formulawiz View Post
    Formula seems to work but the cell is not recognizing it as a date.
    I am using the following formula to compare that date to todays date with the following formula but it does not work
    =IF(AN6=TODAY()," ",AG9)
    Any ideas
    So right click on the column heading, click on Format Cells, click on Date under the Number tab, select your date format, and click OK.

How many of these threads are you going to start? Get an Introduction to Excel book and do the work yourself. How do you expect to learn if you keep having everyone else do your work for you?

Formulawiz

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyF0cker View Post
    So right click on the column heading, click on Format Cells, click on Date under the Number tab, select your date format, and click OK.

How many of these threads are you going to start? Get an Introduction to Excel book and do the work yourself. How do you expect to learn if you keep having everyone else do your work for you?

Why dont you mind your own business. If you dont want to help thats fine. Not everyone is like you. Stay out of my thread if your not interested in helping.