Pokerjoe
    Pokerjoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 307

Excel data-importation question

This a list of games, result, average bookie odds, and date:

http://www.betexplorer.com/soccer/en...-2011/results/

If you click on a given game, you'll see the odds listed by specific bookies in a pop-up window.

Is it possible to non-manually extract the Pinnacle odds for each game?

IOW, I'm looking to compile the Pinny odds for each game, in excel format, without, obv, cutting and pasting from the individual pop-up windows.

Thanks in advance.

Insoluble
    Insoluble's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3463

You might try to configure an Excel Webquery. If you can figure out how each pop-up window is "called" then you can assemble youweb query in Excel and bring in all the odds data in that window. From there you would have to query your excel sheet(maybe use vlookup or posibly a macro to parse through sheets) to only take the Pinnacle odds. Might be a more elegant solution beyond my talents but that how I know I could accomplish this.

Pokerjoe

Quote Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
    You might try to configure an Excel Webquery. If you can figure out how each pop-up window is "called" then you can assemble youweb query in Excel and bring in all the odds data in that window. From there you would have to query your excel sheet(maybe use vlookup or posibly a macro to parse through sheets) to only take the Pinnacle odds. Might be a more elegant solution beyond my talents but that how I know I could accomplish this.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been trying and failing at. I'm not sure it's possible in Excel.

Each pop-up window can be called up by changing the last digit in it's URL, fwiw.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Joe, I will show you how to do it in PHP if you can't figure out in Excel.

Pokerjoe

jgil, I'm close to surrendering on this one, but I don't know anything about PHP. That's a web page script language? If it isn't going to be too time consuming for you, I'd like to hear your idea.

Insoluble, or anyone else, is it possible to write a macro that will A) add 1 to an initial webquery url (because each additional URL I'd want to call up does end in a number, and I think they're consecutive) and then B) download that particular query into a sheet at a particular point?

After the raw data is in a sheet, manipulating it to get Pinny's odds alone is easy enough.

Each query's data occupies 6 columns. So what needs to be done is for the initial query to be done in A1, then move the input cell over 6 columns to F1 (so as not to overwrite the previous data), then add 1 to the previous query's URL (and I don't know how to "add" to a URL), then download that new URL data in the new input cell, then do it over and over again. Or something like that.

I may just go to one of those "online programmer" places and pay $50 or whatever, but I do kind of like to figure these things out. They're more fun than Sudoku.

I'm not doing MLB this summer and I've wrapped up winter sports, so I have 5 months with nothing to do and thought I'd fool around with soccer some. Must. Have. Numbers.

So this isn't a major thing, I'm just stubborn about finding solutions, lol.

TIA for anyone who can help.

trevlyn1983
    trevlyn1983's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2339

Check this and see if it of any use . Im still a noob to vba and mnostly excel heh .
    Attached Files
    Points Awarded:

jgilmartin gave trevlyn1983 87 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Pokerjoe

Quote Originally Posted by trevlyn1983 View Post
    Check this and see if it of any use . Im still a noob to vba and mnostly excel heh .
    I think we have a winner. Thanks.

I always goof off my betpoints (except that I got $500 on Betjamaica from them once, so I should respect them more, actually).

Anyway, I have no points right now, so instead, I'll give you the bet I made with the last points I had. That is, trevlyn, you have 236 points on Denver at +185 to win their series against OKC. If it wins, I'll transfer 436 points to you. If they lose, well, you've lost before and you're still here, LOL. You didn't ask for points, true, and I'm not meaning to offend you by suggesting you helped out here more mere points, but what the hell, let me put them to good use for once, just on principal.

BTW, I think I know how to work the sheet you posted, but I can't even take the time to check it out right now, so if I have questions, I'll PM you.

And to others who have chimed in on this, thanks. Every once in a while this forum is a useful thing. Hard to believe.

Okay, and to edit, I just used your macro on another league, just fine, so thanks again.
    Last edited by Pokerjoe; 04-17-11 at 10:55 PM.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Whoops, sorry I didn't see the update to the thread. Guess it worked out for the best. I can use that too, thanks trevlyn.

uva3021
    uva3021's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 381

why don't you export each extraction to a database, so your excel file won't be so cluttered

trevlyn1983
    trevlyn1983's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2339

Im still new to this kinda stuff and never done a database before .

uva3021
    uva3021's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 381

Quote Originally Posted by trevlyn1983 View Post
    Im still new to this kinda stuff and never done a database before .
    did a great job on the excel sheet

look into learning how to work with access, it allows for your information to be organized more robustly, and it uses less resources for each instance of excel

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Even better, learn SQL.