JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Outfielder/first baseman Danny Santana, pitcher Richard Rodriguez, and infielder Jose Rondon were suspended for 80 games each Monday in the first discipline since the major league drug testing program resumed March 11 following a 99-day suspension during the lockout.

Never fuken heard of them

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

It’s going to be a beautiful 39 degrees at Wrigley this weekend.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16012

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    Seiya Suzuki is going to be awesome.
    I was able to draft him in my last draft tonight. Hopefully he lives up to expectations but at least he is bringing some excitement back to the Cubbies.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 537

Major League Baseball announced this afternoon that three players — reliever Richard Rodríguez, utilityman Danny Santana and infielder José Rondón — have each been suspended for 80 games after testing positive for the performance-enhancing substance Boldenone. All three are currently free agents. PED testing had been suspended during the lockout, but Jared Diamond of the Wall Street Journal reports (0n Twitter) that the trio tested positive before the work stoppage.
    Rodríguez was one of the higher-profile remaining free agents, and today’s suspension offers insight into why he’s yet to sign. The 32-year-old isn’t far removed from being an excellent late-game option for the Pirates. Over three and a half seasons in Pittsburgh, he posted a 2.98 ERA in 196 1/3 innings of relief. Along the way, he punched out a strong 27.2% of batters faced while walking just 6.5% of opponents.
    The rebuilding Bucs traded Rodríguez to the Braves at this past summer’s trade deadline. The 32-year-old’s performance dipped at the end of the year. While he managed a respectable 3.12 ERA in 26 innings as a Brave, he surrounded six home runs and struck out only nine batters in that time. Atlanta non-tendered Rodríguez at the end of the year. The Pirates were reported to have interest in a reunion in December, but it stands to reason the failed PED test put a damper on that pursuit.
    Santana, 31, has appeared in the majors in each of the last eight seasons. Known for his speed and defensive versatility, the switch-hitting Santana has mixed in some solid showings at the plate but has an up-and-down overall track record. He’s coming off a tough year in which he hit just .181/.252/.345 with five homers and four steals over 38 games with the Red Sox.
    Rondón has played in parts of four seasons, never tallying more than 157 plate appearances in a year. A right-handed hitting utility infielder, he owns a .216/.274/.353 slash in 380 career trips to the dish. Rondón had a respectable .263/.322/.413 showing in limited playing time with the Cardinals last season, but St. Louis non-tendered him in November.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47529

Seiya Suzuki is going to be awesome.
    That remains to be seen. Hope springs eternal this time of year!

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32317

Like the Manaea trade to SD.
    He's one of those tricky lefties that eats up six innings a start.

Here's today's fun fact.
    We (KC) drafted Manaea in the first round in 2014.
    KC traded Manaea to Oakland for Ben Zobrist in 2015

Nice trade, Zobrist hit two HR's in 2015 for KC in the ALDS against Toronto.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 434

Quote Originally Posted by JMobile View Post
    Outfielder/first baseman Danny Santana, pitcher Richard Rodriguez, and infielder Jose Rondon were suspended for 80 games each Monday in the first discipline since the major league drug testing program resumed March 11 following a 99-day suspension during the lockout.

Never fuken heard of them
    Probably why they are using peds so that you will heard of them

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Like the Manaea trade to SD.
    He's one of those tricky lefties that eats up six innings a start.

Here's today's fun fact.
    We (KC) drafted Manaea in the first round in 2014.
    KC traded Manaea to Oakland for Ben Zobrist in 2015

Nice trade, Zobrist hit two HR's in 2015 for KC in the ALDS against Toronto.
    Zobrist was like the golden boy. He took 3 teams to the WS and 2 out of 3 won WS Championships.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

Zobrist was clutch, too bad his wife cheated on him.

EmpireMaker

The Astros and reliever Ryan Pressly are in agreement on a two-year, $30MM extension, per Robert Murray of FanSided. There is also a vesting option for 2025 that could take the deal up to $42MM. Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Pressly will make $14MM in 2023 and 2024, along with a $2MM buyout on the 2025 option. (Twitter links) Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle relays that the $14MM option for 2025 will vest with 50 appearances in both 2023 and 2024. Pressly is represented by Scott Lonergan of the Ballengee Group.
    This is the second time in Pressly’s career where he has signed an extension with the Astros while one year away from free agency. In March of 2019, the two sides agreed to a two-year extension that came with a $17.5MM guarantee, covering the 2020 and 2021 campaigns, along with a $10MM vesting option for 2022. Pressly needed to make 60 appearances in each of the 2020 and 2021 campaigns in order to vest the option, which he did. (In the shortened 2020 campaigns, all thresholds of this kind were prorated by 2.7, meaning Pressly’s 23 games were counted as just over 62 appearances.) Once again, Pressly has been locked up to keep him from hitting the open market.
    As noted by Murray, this deal makes Pressly one of the highest-paid relievers in baseball and is the largest contract ever given to an Astros reliever. The fact that the Astros are willing to commit to Pressly in this way is hardly surprising based on his performance. Just months prior to the first extension, Pressly was acquired by Houston from Minnesota in a 2018 deadline deal. After the trade, Pressly took his game to new heights, something he later credited to Houston’s analytics department. As a Twin in 2018, he pitched 47 2/3 innings with a 3.40 ERA, 33.2% strikeout rate and 9.1% walk rate. Although those were already quality numbers, his post-trade work resulted in an ERA of 0.77 over 23 1/3 innings with a 38.1% strikeout rate and 3.6% walk rate.
    Although Pressly couldn’t quite maintain the gaudy level of that small sample, he has still been one of the better relievers in the league since the signing of his previous deal. In the past three seasons, he’s logged 139 1/3 innings with a 2.45 ERA, 33% strikeout rate and 5.8% walk rate. Among relievers with at least 130 innings in that time, his ERA trails only Liam Hendriks and Josh Hader, with that strikeout rate coming in seventh and walk rate coming in sixth.
    Now 33, this deal will keep Pressly in Houston through his age-35 season, and possibly for another year after that with the vesting option. For the Astros, they set a franchise record last year with a payroll of $187MM, per Cot’s Baseball Contracts. For this season, they’ve dropped down to around $174MM, per Jason Martinez of Roster Resource. That’s largely due to letting certain players walk, such as Carlos Correa and Zack Greinke. When this extension kicks in next year, there could be even more payroll flexibility, as Michael Brantley, Yuli Gurriel, Jason Castro, Aledmys Diaz and Rafael Montero are all set to hit free agency. There are also various players who have options for next year, such as Justin Verlander, Jake Odorizzi, Pedro Baez and Martin Maldonado. That means that, prior to this extension, there were just four players with guaranteed contracts for the 2023 campaign: Jose Altuve, Alex Bregman, Lance McCullers Jr. and Hector Neris.

JAKEPEAVY21

Poor guy, I remember how that absolutely crushed him.

Hopefully he blew off some steam pounding groupies until the sting wore off....

boscokid
    boscokid's Avatar SBR PRO

Peavy - throw bosco some of that 'locals only' knowledge for Fantasy Baseball.

I drafted very SP heavy in a H2H league that does not require RPs and has no inning restrictions

Cole, Urias, Kershaw, Woodruff, Snell, Gray, Eflin, Ynoa, C Hernandez plus injured players Sale and McCullers

What's the deal with Snell? High hopes in America's Finest City? Obv as a 5th starter I only need him to hold his own but if he can excel then I can probably move one of the first 4 for a solid field player.

Also, did Suarez lock down the closer role? Never heard of this dude and he went undrafted last night but I see him climbing the list of CBS added players - I can move Sale to IL and essentially get a free waiver move.

Otters27

What percentage of pro athletes wives cheat on them?

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by boscokid View Post
    Peavy - throw bosco some of that 'locals only' knowledge for Fantasy Baseball.

I drafted very SP heavy in a H2H league that does not require RPs and has no inning restrictions

Cole, Urias, Kershaw, Woodruff, Snell, Gray, Eflin, Ynoa, C Hernandez plus injured players Sale and McCullers

What's the deal with Snell? High hopes in America's Finest City? Obv as a 5th starter I only need him to hold his own but if he can excel then I can probably move one of the first 4 for a solid field player.

Also, did Suarez lock down the closer role? Never heard of this dude and he went undrafted last night but I see him climbing the list of CBS added players - I can move Sale to IL and essentially get a free waiver move.
    I have no faith in Snell anymore until he shows me otherwise.

He seems to have lost command of his pitches and his confidence.

From everything I've heard, it seems that Suarez will be the closer, yes.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    I have no faith in Snell anymore until he shows me otherwise.

He seems to have lost command of his pitches and his confidence.

From everything I've heard, it seems that Suarez will be the closer, yes.
    Me neither.
    Snell fell apart pretty much overnight.
    Since winning the CY Young his HR allowed ratio nearly tripled.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Me neither.
    Snell fell apart pretty much overnight.
    Since winning the CY Young his HR allowed ratio nearly tripled.
    Yeah Snell hasn't been the same since he came over from Tampa. We'll see if he has a better season this year but I don't have much faith in him.

boscokid

Well I guess this aint where I can recruit new members for the Blake Snell fan club.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Everybody ready for tomorrow????

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

I’ll be having a Budweiser at about 1:20 tomorrow. Let’s go Cubs. Does anyone know how to say Sandberg backwards?? Go Cubs!!!! Let’s get some runs!!!!!

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Everybody ready for tomorrow????
    I'm looking forward to it. Especially looking forward to seeing what Bobby Witt Jr. can do against Bieber in his first game as a Royal. I'm tempted to bet the Royals because they're a short dog and I think they'll surprise some people this year which shouldn't be too hard since not too many people have them finishing higher than 3rd or 4th in the Central.
    Last edited by jrgum3; 04-07-22 at 04:35 AM.

EmpireMaker

Red Sox star third baseman Rafael Devers recently rejected an extension offer from the team, reports Héctor Gómez of Z101 (Twitter link). Gómez adds that Boston’s offer to Devers topped the $124MM deal José Ramírez signed with the Guardians. Further specifics of the offer aren’t known, but Chris Cotillo of MassLive characterizes the sides as being “very far” apart.
    Both Gómez and Cotillo suggest it’s unlikely there’ll be any more discussions before the Red Sox open the season on Friday against the Yankees. Devers has previously suggested he won’t entertain an extension in-season. That seemingly sets him up to play out this season on an $11.2MM salary, to which he and the Sox agreed last month to avoid an arbitration hearing.
    It stands to reason the Boston front office will take a crack at extending Devers next winter, at the very least. He’s controllable via arbitration for another season beyond this one. By next offseason, the reigning AL Silver Slugger at third base will have banked over $16MM in career earnings. Barring a significant injury, he’ll be in line for a rather notable raise on this season’s salary during his final arbitration year before hitting free agency in advance of his age-27 campaign.
    That’s all to say Devers has little pressure to accept a significant discount. The Red Sox certainly won’t put forth a market-value offer two years in advance of free agency, but keeping him in the fold long-term would require one of the biggest investments in the history of that service bucket. The Braves signed first baseman Matt Olson — who also has four-plus service years — to an eight-year, $168MM extension last month. Only Joey Votto (ten years, $225MM) and Giancarlo Stanton (13 years, $325MM) have topped Olson’s deal among players with between four and five years of service.
    Olson was projected for a $12MM arbitration salary before signing his extension, not too dissimilar from Devers’ current mark. He and Devers have family similar numbers going back three seasons. Olson owns a .257/.354/.522 line since the start of 2019; Devers is a .290/.350/.537 hitter in that time. The latter hits for a better average, while Olson draws significantly more walks. Olson has been 34 percentage points above average by measure of wRC+, while Devers checks in 29 points above par.
    Obviously, Olson and Devers don’t make for an apples-to-apples comparison. Devers plays a more demanding position, but he rates as one of the league’s worst defensive third basemen. Olson plays at the position furthest down the defensive spectrum, but he’s perhaps the game’s best gloveman at first base. One could argue that Olson’s the more valuable all-around player, but Devers is two and a half years younger. Devers’ camp at Rep 1 Baseball may argue for a deal that exceeds Olson’s in length and overall guarantee, making it unsurprising that “merely” topping the $124MM guaranteed to Ramírez wouldn’t be sufficient. (To be clear, it’s unknown how close the Red Sox’s offer to Devers was to Ramírez’s number).
    Regardless of whether Boston and Devers eventually work something out long-term, he’ll be around for the next two seasons. That’s not necessarily the case for shortstop Xander Bogaerts, who can opt out of the remaining three years and $60MM on his deal after this season. Alex Speier of the Boston Globe spoke with Boagerts on Monday. The star shortstop told Speier he and the club have had talks this spring but said he didn’t anticipate an extension being hammered out in the coming days. Like Devers, Bogaerts suggested he was uninterested in continuing negotiations once the season was underway.
    Bogaerts would hit the open market in advance of his age-30 season and seems likely to handily top $60MM barring an unexpected downturn in performance or injury. The Sox added an All-Star potential alternative last month when they signed Trevor Story to a six-year, $140MM deal. The longtime Rockie agreed to play second base this season in deference to Boagerts. Boston could keep him at the keystone if they get a long-term deal with Bogaerts done, but Story could also kick back to his old position in 2023 if the Sox’s incumbent shortstop heads elsewhere.

stevenash

Two words.
    "Play Ball"

stevenash

I’ll be having a Budweiser at about 1:20 tomorrow. Let’s go Cubs. Does anyone know how to say Sandberg backwards?? Go Cubs!!!! Let’s get some runs!!!!!
    One of my all time favorite ball players.
    Flew out to Wrigley for a weekend once just to watch him play 2B live.

JAKEPEAVY21

One of my all time favorite ball players.
    Flew out to Wrigley for a weekend once just to watch him play 2B live.
    He was alright...overrated in my eyes and no way did he deserve that MVP in '84...Tony Gwynn got robbed!!

Otters27

Today's the day. Competition with masters though

JAKEPEAVY21

Padres trade Paddack and Pagan to the Twins for Taylor Rodgers...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...n-diego-padres

boscokid

What kind of golf is this? These pros have a unique playing style for The Masters - they don't use the trees, cart paths and shortcuts through the woods like I do and none of them appear to use the Hand Wedge or Shoe Putter

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Looks like Padres gave up on the Sheriff

JAKEPEAVY21

Looks like Padres gave up on the Sheriff
    He turned into Deputy Dawg with a pea shooter after his rookie year...

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

This move is good for the Padres I think because I feel like they addressed their 9th inning uncertainty by getting Rogers. Hopefully he's their closer because I drafted him in one of my roto leagues where closers go like hot cakes.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    What percentage of pro athletes wives cheat on them?
    Jason Varitek's little affair with Heidi cost him millions.
    Good for him, he's an asshole anyway.

EmpireMaker

The Guardians have announced that they have traded outfielder Bradley Zimmer to the Blue Jays in exchange for right-hander Anthony Castro.
    For the Blue Jays, this is the second trade in recent weeks where they’ve added a speedy outfielder with a left-handed bat as a complement to their lineup of right-handed power bats, with the other being Raimel Tapia. Zimmer was selected by Cleveland as the 21st overall pick in the 2014 draft and made his debut in 2017. He didn’t hit a ton, putting up a line of .241/.307/.385 for a wRC+ of just 79 in 101 games. However, he did steal 18 bases and get favorable reviews for his work in the field, which helped him earn a mark of 1.6 wins above replacement, in the estimation of FanGraphs.
    Unfortunately, Zimmer has never been able to top that mark since. He started 2018 with the big league club but struggled over 34 games and got optioned down to the minors. A shoulder injury suffered that year wiped out the remainder of his 2018 and most of his 2019 as well. Over 2020 and 2021, he got into 119 big league games and showed a similar profile to his rookie year. The batting line was fairly tepid, coming in at .220/.329/.333 for a wRC+ of 88, but with 17 steals and good defense. On the other hand, he did strike out in 34.2% of his plate appearances, something that has been a persistent issue with him throughout his big league career.
    As a lefty hitter, he’s better versus righties but doesn’t have drastic platoon splits for his career. With the Jays featuring a starting outfield of right-handed batters George Springer, Teoscar Hernandez and Lourdes Gurriel Jr., Zimmer and Tapia will likely be competing for given those guys the occasional day on the bench or in the DH slot, giving the lineup a different look.
    It seems Zimmer was nudged out of the plans in Cleveland, as he didn’t crack the lineup in today’s season opener, with Myles Straw, Amed Rosario and Steven Kwan getting the starting nods on the grass. Blue Jays president/CEO Mark Shapiro and general manager Ross Atkins were both working in the Cleveland front office at the time Zimmer was drafted and are clearly willing to take a shot that the 29-year-old can still be valuable. His defense was estimated to be worth seven Outs Above Average by Statcast last year, meaning he can be a productive player even without any offensive improvement. Though development in that department will surely be a goal of his new team. He qualified for arbitration for the first time this year and settled on a salary of $1.3MM. He can be controlled through the 2024 season.
    As for the Guardians, they’ve subtracted a player who wasn’t likely to see significant playing time and is out of options, while adding an optionable reliever to their bullpen mix. Castro made his MLB debut in 2020 with Detroit but pitched just a single inning. After going to the Jays on a waiver claim, he was able to log 24 2/3 innings in the bigs last year with a 4.74 ERA, 29.4% strikeout rate and 7.3% walk rate. The 26-year-old has an option year remaining and just over a year of service time, meaning he could be controlled by the Guardians for years to come.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

Cubs going 162-0 for sure this year.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

They looked good and it just goes to show that betting dogs early in the season can be a very profitable way to bet bases early on in the season. Unfortunately for me I took the Brewers who were the only favorite I bet today. i cashed with the Astros and Royals to salvage a profitable day but that Brewers bet was tilting and I should have known better than to lay all that chalk on Opening Day.

JAKEPEAVY21

Padres 0-162 with 162 blown 9th inning leads

First ... 19202122232425 ... Last