deadphish
    deadphish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25693

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpoon View Post
    It's better than nothing. Might not even get MLB back this year.
    well then, i guess it will make it that much better in 2021 (4 me)!

deadphish

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    I wash down my adderral with coffee.
    My wife says for the next two hours I’m chirpy.
    I get this a lot.
    ”Bill, (my real name) stop talking”
    i can relate...just not w/a wifey or hubby. i get the, "you blah blah blah too much MARcuz!" (LOL)

deadphish

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    As talks continue about the possibility of the 2020 season getting underway, “the greatest differences between the players and owners, for now, remain economic,” Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich of The Athletic (subscription required) write in their latest update on the status of the negotiations. While nothing concrete has been established between the two sides, June 1 is seen as “an informal deadline for negotiations to be completed if the season is to start by early July.”
    On Tuesday, the league will present the MLB Players Association with a proposal for how finances and revenues will be divvied up over a shortened 2020 schedule. Rosenthal and Drellich hear from sources that the owners’ reported original desire for a 50/50 revenue split will not be included in this proposal, though owners will still seek to reduce player salaries in some fashion, as per Major League Baseball’s claim that paying prorated player salaries while still hosting games without any fans in attendance would result in a loss of over $4 billion in free cash flow.
    That $4 billion figure was delivered as part of a financial document presented to the MLBPA over a week ago, which naturally resulted in the union requesting for the league to back up this claim with more paperwork and documentation. According to Rosenthal and Drellich, the league provided the players with some but not all of the requested information this past Friday. It isn’t clear whether the documentation provided will be sufficient for the MLBPA, or whether there is enough time for the union’s analysts to properly access the league’s financial claims by the informal June 1 deadline.
    At least one agent, Seth Levinson of the ACES agency, believes “there isn’t sufficient time,” and that “MLB doesn’t just seek further salary reductions from the players but also their blind faith” that the losses will be as steep as the league suggests. Levinson also added that “any agreement must protect the players heading into 2021,” as several agents are concerned that the loss of 2020 revenues will result in a crunch for free agents and arbitration-eligible players in the 2020-21 offseason. To this end, Rosenthal and Drellich write that some agents might prefer some manner of “financial protection for players this offseason” in exchange for players agreeing to accept less than their prorated salaries for 2020 games.
    These longer-term issues add another layer of difficult to the talks between Major League Baseball and the players’ union. The majority of current negotiations are centered around the 2020 season first and foremost, and there are already enough logistical hurdles (both financial and health/safety related) yet to be cleared that it seems difficult at first glance to imagine an agreement being reached by June 1. That said, the June 1 date only applies to the rumored early-July start date for an 82-game season, so everything could be pushed back or reduced. The length of the regular season, Rosenthal and Drellich note, is another possible negotiating point between players and owners: “The league also prefers a shorter schedule to enhance the chances of playing the postseason, when greater revenues are assured.”
    just play ball! make it a 55 game season if u have to. find a way where owners & players can profit financially. THERE HAS TO BE A WAY!!!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Quote Originally Posted by deadphish View Post
    just play ball! make it a 55 game season if u have to. find a way where owners & players can profit financially. THERE HAS TO BE A WAY!!!
    yeah let's get out there

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

MLB could be making money by airing games without fans

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

At least we have SBR poker to get us through.

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10137

Hopefully we get a season in...some way

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16012

Quote Originally Posted by batt33 View Post
    Hopefully we get a season in...some way
    It would be a travesty if they don't play this year. One that baseball might find harder to recover from than the strike that wiped out the 1994 World Series.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Will we get half a season in or no?

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 537

Since he made his major league debut in 2015, Trea Turner has established himself as one of the reigning World Series champion Nationals’ most valuable players. A second baseman and then a center fielder at the beginning of his career, Turner took over as the Nationals’ shortstop in 2017 and now has a stranglehold on the position.
    Dating back to his first full season in 2018, Turner has accounted for 8.3 fWAR and hit .283/.348/.451 (110 wRC+) with 38 home runs and 78 stolen bases – the second-highest total in MLB – across 1,309 plate appearances. And the 26-year-old Turner figures to contribute similar or better production in Washington for at least the next couple seasons, as he’s only now about to enter his first of three arbitration-eligible campaigns.
    With Turner having already given the Nationals quite a bit of surplus value, it’s worth revisiting how he joined the team in the first place. To say the least, it was unusual transaction that led him to D.C. Turner was a 20th-round pick of the Pirates in 2011, but he elected to pass on signing with the Bucs in order to play at North Carolina State. That proved to be a wise decision by Turner, who increased his stock so much as a college player that the Padres took him 13th overall in 2014. Little did Turner or the Padres know then that he’d never play a real game in their uniform, nor was either side aware their relationship would end in such unconventional fashion.
    While Turner continued to succeed as a young pro with the Pads, ranking as Baseball America’s 65th-best prospect prior to 2015, the club parted with him that year. Actually, though, San Diego agreed to trade Turner in December 2014 in a three-team blockbuster that also involved the Rays and Nats and. The Padres received outfielder Wil Myers, pitchers Gerardo Reyes and Jose Castillo, and catcher Ryan Hanigan. The Rays acquired first baseman Jake Bauers, righty Burch Smith, outfielder Steven Souza Jr., catcher Rene Rivera and lefty Travis Ott. The Nationals picked up righty Joe Ross and a player to be named later. Ross showed flashes at the beginning of his Nats tenure, but injuries have helped knock him off course in recent years. On the other hand, the PTBNL, Turner, has been a gem.
    Although the Padres and Rays had a handshake agreement in regards to Turner, they weren’t allowed to make it official for a while because of previous MLB rules. The league formerly had a system in place that barred teams from trading anyone who wasn’t a year removed from being drafted. So, because Turner didn’t meet that requirement, he had to spend several more months with the Padres, even though he knew he wasn’t really a member of the team. Turner’s agent, Jeff Berry, suggested he’d fight the setup. In the end, however, Turner didn’t officially change hands until June 2015 – one month after the league instituted new rules to stop something similar from taking place.

To the Padres’ credit, they treated Turner well during his waning months with the club. Turner had to go to Padres spring training and play in the minors as part of the franchise as he waited for the finalization of the trade, and he complimented the team on multiple occasions during that period.
    Unfortunately for San Diego, it hasn’t gotten nearly enough out of this trade in hindsight. Turner, after all, has clearly become the top player in this massive swap. Myers had an All-Star season in 2016, which persuaded the Padres to hand him a six-year, $83MM extension, but he has fallen off since then and is now someone they’d like to remove from their books. Reyes had a rough go in his MLB debut last season (7.62 ERA), though he did amass 38 strikeouts in 26 innings. Castillo performed well as a rookie two years ago, but injuries wrecked his 2019. Unlike those three, Hanigan never even played for the Padres, who quickly flipped him to the Red Sox for third baseman Will Middlebrooks. Although Middlebrooks did pile up 270 PA as a Padre in 2015, he was just a .212/.241/.361 hitter then.
    It’s fair to say this deal will not go down as a shining moment for Padres general manager A.J. Preller. Conversely, it’s one of the many feathers in the cap of GM Mike Rizzo and the Nationals, for whom a one-time player to be named later helped to a championship several months back.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

On this day exactly 2 years ago today, Mike Trout (remember him? The youngest ever to hit for the cycle) anyway two years ago to the day Mike Trout had his first ever five hit game.

Batting AB R H RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS Details
    Zack Cozart 2B-3B 5 3 2 0 0 1 0.235 0.307 0.402 0.709
    Mike Trout CF 5 3 5 4 0 0 0.313 0.461 0.687 1.148 HR,3·2B
    Justin Upton LF 1 0 0 0 1 1 0.251 0.327 0.456 0.784 HBP
    Chris Young PH-LF 1 1 0 0 1 0 0.151 0.25 0.302 0.552
    Albert Pujols 1B 4 0 1 2 0 2 0.247 0.286 0.402 0.688
    Jefry Marte PH-1B 1 0 0 0 0 1 0.29 0.353 0.484 0.837
    Shohei Ohtani DH 4 0 0 1 1 2 0.297 0.372 0.564 0.936 GDP
    Andrelton Simmons SS 4 0 1 1 0 0 0.328 0.394 0.457 0.851 SF
    Luis Valbuena 3B 2 0 0 0 1 2 0.227 0.27 0.336 0.606
    Ian Kinsler PH-2B 2 0 0 0 0 0 0.182 0.255 0.27 0.525
    Kole Calhoun RF 3 2 0 0 2 1 0.157 0.201 0.195 0.396
    Jose Briceno C 4 2 2 2 1 2 0.5 0.6 1.25 1.85 HR
    Team Totals 36 11 11 10 7 12 0.306 0.422 0.556 0.978

Trout wound up the 2018 season hitting 39 homers with a .312 average and walked 122 which led the majors while missing 22 games.
    Those are Barry Bonds numbers without the steroid help.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

So you are sure Trout not using anything? Just saying.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    So you are sure Trout not using anything? Just saying.
    He's had at least 20 blood tests in 8 years, all came back clean.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure he's not using anything.

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Doesn't seem like the players and owners will come to any agreement anytime soon:https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...t-paid-players

Stallion
    Update your status
    Stallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16714

So if NHL and NBA are going to comeback, what is stopping baseball???

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

I wash down my adderral with coffee.
    My wife says for the next two hours I’m chirpy.
    I get this a lot.
    ”Bill, (my real name) stop talking”
    Never took addy, But I have a couple a friend gave me. Now just got to try it...

deadphish

Moose is my 2nd FAVEz in MLB...

BigSpoon
    Henlo

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
    They are arguing over money as usual.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

I agree Trout is most likely clean, you just never know though.

EmpireMaker

Trout is just that good.

ApricotSinner32

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    Since he made his major league debut in 2015, Trea Turner has established himself as one of the reigning World Series champion Nationals’ most valuable players. A second baseman and then a center fielder at the beginning of his career, Turner took over as the Nationals’ shortstop in 2017 and now has a stranglehold on the position.
    Dating back to his first full season in 2018, Turner has accounted for 8.3 fWAR and hit .283/.348/.451 (110 wRC+) with 38 home runs and 78 stolen bases – the second-highest total in MLB – across 1,309 plate appearances. And the 26-year-old Turner figures to contribute similar or better production in Washington for at least the next couple seasons, as he’s only now about to enter his first of three arbitration-eligible campaigns.
    With Turner having already given the Nationals quite a bit of surplus value, it’s worth revisiting how he joined the team in the first place. To say the least, it was unusual transaction that led him to D.C. Turner was a 20th-round pick of the Pirates in 2011, but he elected to pass on signing with the Bucs in order to play at North Carolina State. That proved to be a wise decision by Turner, who increased his stock so much as a college player that the Padres took him 13th overall in 2014. Little did Turner or the Padres know then that he’d never play a real game in their uniform, nor was either side aware their relationship would end in such unconventional fashion.
    While Turner continued to succeed as a young pro with the Pads, ranking as Baseball America’s 65th-best prospect prior to 2015, the club parted with him that year. Actually, though, San Diego agreed to trade Turner in December 2014 in a three-team blockbuster that also involved the Rays and Nats and. The Padres received outfielder Wil Myers, pitchers Gerardo Reyes and Jose Castillo, and catcher Ryan Hanigan. The Rays acquired first baseman Jake Bauers, righty Burch Smith, outfielder Steven Souza Jr., catcher Rene Rivera and lefty Travis Ott. The Nationals picked up righty Joe Ross and a player to be named later. Ross showed flashes at the beginning of his Nats tenure, but injuries have helped knock him off course in recent years. On the other hand, the PTBNL, Turner, has been a gem.
    Although the Padres and Rays had a handshake agreement in regards to Turner, they weren’t allowed to make it official for a while because of previous MLB rules. The league formerly had a system in place that barred teams from trading anyone who wasn’t a year removed from being drafted. So, because Turner didn’t meet that requirement, he had to spend several more months with the Padres, even though he knew he wasn’t really a member of the team. Turner’s agent, Jeff Berry, suggested he’d fight the setup. In the end, however, Turner didn’t officially change hands until June 2015 – one month after the league instituted new rules to stop something similar from taking place.

To the Padres’ credit, they treated Turner well during his waning months with the club. Turner had to go to Padres spring training and play in the minors as part of the franchise as he waited for the finalization of the trade, and he complimented the team on multiple occasions during that period.
    Unfortunately for San Diego, it hasn’t gotten nearly enough out of this trade in hindsight. Turner, after all, has clearly become the top player in this massive swap. Myers had an All-Star season in 2016, which persuaded the Padres to hand him a six-year, $83MM extension, but he has fallen off since then and is now someone they’d like to remove from their books. Reyes had a rough go in his MLB debut last season (7.62 ERA), though he did amass 38 strikeouts in 26 innings. Castillo performed well as a rookie two years ago, but injuries wrecked his 2019. Unlike those three, Hanigan never even played for the Padres, who quickly flipped him to the Red Sox for third baseman Will Middlebrooks. Although Middlebrooks did pile up 270 PA as a Padre in 2015, he was just a .212/.241/.361 hitter then.
    It’s fair to say this deal will not go down as a shining moment for Padres general manager A.J. Preller. Conversely, it’s one of the many feathers in the cap of GM Mike Rizzo and the Nationals, for whom a one-time player to be named later helped to a championship several months back.
    Thank you for posting this.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post

greed

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 422

They should just play MLB games in Arizona and Florida at the spring training fields

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by koz-man View Post
    Never took addy, But I have a couple a friend gave me. Now just got to try it...
    It's a wonder pill.
    Makes you concentrate like a cobra.
    Been taking it forever tough to get if you don't have a script and doctors are careful writing addy scripts.
    I have ADHD so my other doctor who I see about that signs off on it.

stevenash

I did not know Gerrit Cole and Trevor Bauer were both stars and roommates at UCLA.

Also on this date, May 27, 1988 exactly 22 years ago, Boston Red Sox great Dwight Evans collected his 2,000 hit.

Dewey is one of my all time favorite Red Sox player, and probably one of the top 10 defensive right fielders that ever played the game.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

It's a wonder pill.
    Makes you concentrate like a cobra.
    Been taking it forever tough to get if you don't have a script and doctors are careful writing addy scripts.
    I have ADHD so my other doctor who I see about that signs off on it.
    I should take one & cap the ponies in LT contest this weekend.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

On this day, 27 years ago, an Indians batter hit a fly ball to right fielder Jose Conseco and it bounced off his head out of the field for a home run.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by JMobile View Post
    On this day, 27 years ago, an Indians batter hit a fly ball to right fielder Jose Conseco and it bounced off his head out of the field for a home run.

ApricotSinner32

Man lets get some baseball going already..........

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16012

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotSinner32 View Post
    Man lets get some baseball going already..........
    I agree it's sad that Korean baseball can figure out how to have games and work towards getting fans back in the stands but MLB can't because players and owners can't agree on the financials.

EmpireMaker

6:09pm: The Rangers have committed to $400 a week for their minor leaguers through at least June, Levi Weaver of The Athletic was among those to report. The same goes for the Braves, per David O’Brien of The Athletic, as well as the Diamondbacks, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic adds.
    12:59pm: The Padres will also pay their minor leaguers the $400 weekly stipend through the end of August, Dennis Lin of The Athletic tweets.
    12:34pm: Most of MLB’s 30 organizations agreed a ways back to pay their employees through the end of May. There were instances of lengthier commitments, but May 31 was broadly used as an initial endpoint, at which time fiscal matters would be reassessed. Minor league players have been receiving $400 weekly stipends during this time, but that arrangement is also only promised through the end of May. As you’d expect, clubs have begun to inform employees (both on the business and baseball operations side) and minor leaguers of their next steps. And, as you’d expect, in some instances it’s not pretty.
    Yesterday was a particularly dark day in the Athletics organization, as ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports that the team informed minor league players they will no longer be paid their stipend as of June 1. Robert Murray of The Score shares the email that was sent to Oakland minor leaguers — one which was signed by GM David Forst rather than managing partner John J. Fisher. (Forst, of course, is being asked to play the messenger in this instance and is not the one making the decisions.)
    Minor league players are generally undercompensated as a whole, and the $400 weekly stipend they’ve received over the past two months will now seemingly go down as the only baseball-related compensation they’ll receive in the calendar year. Their contracts, which are in a state of suspension but not terminated, bar them from “perform[ing] services for any other Club” and also render them ineligible for unemployment benefits, per The Athletic’s Emily Waldon (Twitter link).
    As for the operations side of the equation, Athletics front office personnel will be either furloughed or see their pay reduced effective June 1 and running through the end of October, The Athletic’s Alex Coffey reports (Twitter thread). She adds that the maximum cut is 33 percent, and those determinations are based on seniority. Scouts aren’t considered front-office personnel, but they’ll be hit hard as well; USA Today’s Bob Nightengale tweets that A’s amateur and pro scouts alike will be furloughed from June 16 through Oct. 31. Fisher did write a letter to the club’s fanbase confirming the dramatic cuts (Twitter link via the San Francisco Chronicle’s Susan Slusser), emphasizing the pain that went into the decisions and his “deep commitment to the long-term future of the A’s.”
    Those cutbacks are similar to the substantial cuts the Angels put in place earlier this month, but other L.A. club isn’t taking such rash measures. The Dodgers have informed all employees earning more than $75K that they’ll be subject to pay reductions beginning June 1, Ramona Shelburne of ESPN (Twitter thread). The extent of the reductions is dependent on overall salary — larger salaries get larger percentage cuts — and will be capped at 35 percent for the most part, although that they could be greater for the team’s very top executives. Those measures are being taken in an effort to avoid the type of large-scale furloughs being put in place in Oakland and Anaheim.
    Across the country, the Nationals have implemented a series of partial furloughs both in baseball ops and business ops, Jesse Dougherty of the Washington Post reports (Twitter thread). The Nats are still covering full benefits and haven’t made any layoffs, but they’re implementing a sequence of 10 to 30 percent reductions in pay and total hours. The Brewers, meanwhile aren’t making any baseball ops furloughs but are furloughing some business operation employees, Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel tweets.
    It’s not yet clear how every organization plans to handle the minor league pay dilemma, but Baseball America’s Kyle Glaser has heard from at least three clubs that plan to continue varying levels of compensation. The Phillies will keep paying their minor leaguers through at least June, but likely at less than the current $400 stipend. The White Sox are paying $400 per week through the end of June, and the Marlins have committed to paying their minor leaguers the full $400 per week through August — the would-be conclusion of the 2020 minor league season. The Marlins already informed players earlier this month that about 40 percent of the baseball ops department will be furloughed on June 1.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by jrgum3 View Post
    I agree it's sad that Korean baseball can figure out how to have games and work towards getting fans back in the stands but MLB can't because players and owners can't agree on the financials.
    really upsetting for many fans

BigSpoon
    Henlo

Iconic moment and clip.

stevenash

On this date May 28, 2019 exactly 1 year ago, Derek Dietrich of all people of the Reds hit his 17th home run of the season surpassing his previous high of 16 when he was with the Marlins further proving two things, Great American Ball Park is a little league park and the balls are juiced to the high heavens.

Today's fun fact:
    Derek Dietrich is wicked smart, he graduated from Georgia Institute of Technology.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 422

Who batted over .700 his senior year in HS.

Drafted in 90 or 91

First ... 46474849505152 ... Last