Underdog5229
    Chillin w/Goat til We Do it Again
    Underdog5229's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1604

DFS newbie

what would you recommend for a DFS newbie to get his feet wet?

hotcross
    hotcross's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7208

this is gonna sound very negative, but best advice is to not play DFS

waste of time and money

people might tell you, play the 50/50 contests where you just try to beat half of the field to double your stake. To that I say, make one wise wager on a game side or total, and you can double-up that way.

others might say, play the "single-entry" guaranteed prize pools so everybody is on a level playing field with just one chance to put in your best lineup....that is probably the way to go if you are stubborn and/or intrigued by DFS. But still, you will win so infrequently that you will only be hoping to catch-up back to break-even.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16012

Best advice when starting out is to stick to cash games to build your bankroll. I have a Rotogrinders account and recommend signing up for it if you're serious about playing DFS. I've won tournies simply using their lineup builder and listening to their podcasts to help me build better lineups.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 434

Ive never won anything in DFS. Played probably about 100 times

Underdog5229

thanks for the opinions fellas. Might give it a go a few times just to say I did.

hotcross

you could also give the huge tournaments a try, but I wouldn't enter more than once or twice. Then just treat it as a lottery ticket, don't expect to win.

The whale players will enter 50 times and cover a lot of combinations of lineups. Don't try to copy that. A couple years ago, I analyzed results of a handful of big tournaments, and there were guys losing $10k on just in one tournament without significant cashes. I never understood how anyone would have the bankroll to sustain that, so the whole thing seemed very fishy to me.

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

The rake will bleed you dry.

hotcross

I realize those big whale players also play heads-up DFS entries for 1k, 5k, even seen 10k buy-in

Either something fishy going on, or they have access to such massive bankrolls that you can't compete with them over time they will just "buy" their way to victory

Underdog5229

If I do give it a go, it will be for a small buyin. If I like it cool, if not, no love lost. Thanks fellas

qwertvt
    qwertvt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

50/50s are the way to go.

Also - take advantage of as many freerolls as possible.

When you sign up for a site, use rotogrinders to get a promotion. That site will help you learn how to win tournaments. You will lose in the beginning so play it small.

If you do play tournaments, do not play multi-entry tournaments. Single entry only.

If you have satellite radio - listen to the fantasy sports channel.

I don't play like I used to but I have won more than I have lost.

I don't play baseball so this is my dead period for DFS and sports betting. If you play basketball, football or golf, I would love to see a lineup.
    Last edited by qwertvt; 04-28-18 at 07:10 PM.

joeye
    joeye's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 974

i just started back playing dfs myself. just because it interests me and makes the sports more fun. hoping to win more than i lose but, you know how that goes. i think single entry is one of the better ones to play.