EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 609

Jameson Taillon‘s comeback after missing two full seasons will culminate in his major league debut Wednesday against the Mets.
    The No. 2 overall pick in 2010—behind Bryce Harper and ahead of future all-stars Manny Machado, Matt Harvey and Chris Sale—Taillon has been outstanding at Triple-A Indianapolis this season. He leads the International League with a 1.93 FIP, a 10.2 strikeout-to-walk ratio and a 0.81 WHIP, and his 0.9 walks per nine innings are also a league best.
    More importantly, the 6-foot-5, 240-pound righthander is healthy after missing two years because of Tommy John surgery and then hernia surgery.
    He’s pitched at least six innings in each of his 10 starts, outside of his second start of the season against Toledo, and he’s reached 99 pitches twice.
    Coincidentally, Taillon’s callup now would prevent him from accruing enough service time to qualify for Super Two salary arbitration status following the 2018 season.
    SCOUTING REPORT

Although Taillon had not pitched since the Arizona Fall League in 2013 before this spring, he has shown little rustiness. His arm appears loose and easy and he’s been sitting 94-96 mph with his fastball and showcasing his 12-to-6 curveball.
    His command has not suffered from the layoff, for he has struck out 61 and walked just six. Taillon mixes his pitches well, throwing a four-seam fastball, a two-seamer, a nascent changeup and curve. He says he throws the two-seamer to get a ground ball when he needs it.
    “The arm is 100 percent full go,” Taillon told BA in April. “If anything, I feel extra fresh, because I’ve had 900 and something days since my last start (before his first start on April 13).”
    His curveball looks as sharp as it did pre-surgery, as you can see in the video below.
    This season, Taillon has shown no platoon split, but he has dominated lefthanded batters, holding them to a .148/.186/.284 slash thanks to his improving changeup.
    The one red flag for Taillon will be holding baserunners—not that there have been many. But runners have succeeded in four out of four attempts against him this year because of a long delivery. Taillon is athletic and repeats the delivery well, but he has not given catchers much of a chance to throw runners out. For his career, about 10 percent of basestealers have been caught trying to steal.
    WHAT TO EXPECT
    Pirates manager Clint Hurdle told reporters that how long Taillon stays might not be dependent upon how the big righthander fares Wednesday. What is clear, however, is that the former Texas prep star is ready for a new challenge. Whether he stays up for good now or comes back after the all-star break, Taillon could team with Gerrit Cole and Tyler Glasnow to form a strong top of the Pirates rotation for years to come.
    He is ready to contribute.
    “I definitely see them, definitely know they’re up there doing their thing,” Taillon told BA in April about Harper, Machado, et al. “At the same time, I’m still only 24. I’ve got a lot of years ahead of me. I feel like I’m in a good spot to go up there and make sure people consider me a good grab from that class, too, and throw me in with those names.”

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2416

let's go Jameson!

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

More of a forearm, but pretty good for bases.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47605

kudos to Machado

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

I don't understand the resistance against Madison Bumgarner participate in the Home Run Derby.

Let him swing away!!!!

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by koz-man View Post
    I don't understand the resistance against Madison Bumgarner participate in the Home Run Derby.

Let him swing away!!!!
    The Giants aren't paying him $45 million to swing a bat at an exhibition. They are poised to make another World Series run with arguably the best pitcher in the NL. There is zero chance you let him try and jack HR's and get injured. Jacks up his shoulder or tears an oblique trying to swing out of shoes. Or God forbid, he tweaks his back. Coach is fired the next day if that happens.

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    kudos to Machado
    Yeah, Ventura has a long history of intentionally throwing at batters so it serves him right.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

Let mad bum swing, it's for entertainment.

mr. leisure
    mr. leisure's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33194

Machado got a good HIT in .

BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19271

Even though he hits great for a pitcher with lots of pop, Giants shouldn't let Mad Bum in home run derby.

EmpireMaker

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    let's go Jameson!
    Taillon pitched well today, really just a couple pitches cost him the runs. Polanco and Harrison had big games. Thor can't hold runners.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 482

Quote Originally Posted by BarkingToad View Post
    Even though he hits great for a pitcher with lots of pop, Giants shouldn't let Mad Bum in home run derby.

No that is how guys get hurt. Big reason why the big stars won't do the dunk contest

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by BarkingToad View Post
    agreed

aggieshawn
    SBR youtube Channels
    aggieshawn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1706

What about baltista hitting first now?

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpoon View Post
    Yeah, Ventura has a long history of intentionally throwing at batters so it serves him right.
    yep, he is a little turd

I was watching the MLB network last night and they were discussing the play and Eric Byrnes made an interesting point that Saul Perez could have easily tackled Machado before he got to the mound. After watching the replay a few times, I think he is right. Basically, the thought is that most of his teammates don't like him and tired of his act.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

yep, he is a little turd

I was watching the MLB network last night and they were discussing the play and Eric Byrnes made an interesting point that Saul Perez could have easily tackled Machado before he got to the mound. After watching the replay a few times, I think he is right. Basically, the thought is that most of his teammates don't like him and tired of his act.
    I was wondering about that. How often does the batter ever get to the pitcher? Most times, the pitcher has plenty of time to hide behind the catcher or 1st baseman. That would be great if Perez hung him out to dry to teach Ventura a lesson.

BigSpoon
    Henlo

yep, he is a little turd

Not only his teammates but the entire organization seems to be tiring of him. Royals have been gauging other teams trade interest in Ventura: http://espn.go.com/blog/mlb/rumors/p...ordano-ventura

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Struggling White Sox cut Mat Latos, sign Justin Morneau

I got a bad feeling he winds up in Cincy.
    Hope I'm wrong...

EmpireMaker

The Phillies have made it official, taking high school outfielder Mickey Moniak with the first overall selection of the 2016 draft. That makes him the first draft choice of GM Matt Klentak.
    Philadelphia had been connected with several other players in recent months, including southpaws Jason Groome and A.J. Puk. But the rebuilding organization ended up going with the youngster out of Carlsbad, California, as had seemed increasingly likely in recent weeks. He is currently committed to play at UCLA.
    Moniak doesn’t wow with off-the-charts physical prowess, but ESPN.com’s Keith Law says he “appears to have the best hit tool in the high school class.” Baseball America and MLB.com’s Jonathan Mayo and Jim Callis join Law in rating Moniak the fifth-best overall talent in the draft.
    While some question whether he’ll ever develop significant power to match his 6’2 frame, the evaluators agree that Moniak ought to be capable of manning center field in the long run, with his good wheels aiding him both in the field and on the basepaths. The 18-year-old draws universal praise for his instincts on the field as well as his work ethic.
    It seems likely that the Phils are angling to preserve some of their spending power with the choice. That’s not to say that Moniak isn’t a top talent — by all accounts he is. Rather, somewhat like the Astros did in going with Carlos Correa over Byron Buxton back in 2012, the idea would be to take a more affordable player with hopes of adding yet more talent later in the draft. (Lance McCullers, Rio Ruiz, Brett Phillips, and Preston Tucker were among the other early-round choices that year by Houston.)
    Philadelphia has $9.015MM to put towards signing Moniak, but it can allocate any savings to other selections. The club’s total pool adds up to just over $13.4MM, ranking second to the Reds — who just top their National League foes thanks to landing the first overall competitive balance Round A selection.

mr. leisure
    mr. leisure's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33194

Hope I'm wrong...
    He sure fizzled out quick .

Otters27

DJ lemahue might be elite fantasy player very soon

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Hope I'm wrong...

he was a money train auto fading him for a bit

didn't help that the guy was a clubhouse cancer, by many accounts

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    The Phillies have made it official, taking high school outfielder Mickey Moniak with the first overall selection of the 2016 draft. That makes him the first draft choice of GM Matt Klentak.
    Philadelphia had been connected with several other players in recent months, including southpaws Jason Groome and A.J. Puk. But the rebuilding organization ended up going with the youngster out of Carlsbad, California, as had seemed increasingly likely in recent weeks. He is currently committed to play at UCLA.
    Moniak doesn’t wow with off-the-charts physical prowess, but ESPN.com’s Keith Law says he “appears to have the best hit tool in the high school class.” Baseball America and MLB.com’s Jonathan Mayo and Jim Callis join Law in rating Moniak the fifth-best overall talent in the draft.
    While some question whether he’ll ever develop significant power to match his 6’2 frame, the evaluators agree that Moniak ought to be capable of manning center field in the long run, with his good wheels aiding him both in the field and on the basepaths. The 18-year-old draws universal praise for his instincts on the field as well as his work ethic.
    It seems likely that the Phils are angling to preserve some of their spending power with the choice. That’s not to say that Moniak isn’t a top talent — by all accounts he is. Rather, somewhat like the Astros did in going with Carlos Correa over Byron Buxton back in 2012, the idea would be to take a more affordable player with hopes of adding yet more talent later in the draft. (Lance McCullers, Rio Ruiz, Brett Phillips, and Preston Tucker were among the other early-round choices that year by Houston.)
    Philadelphia has $9.015MM to put towards signing Moniak, but it can allocate any savings to other selections. The club’s total pool adds up to just over $13.4MM, ranking second to the Reds — who just top their National League foes thanks to landing the first overall competitive balance Round A selection.
    Moniak is the 5th san diego product to go #1 overall

BigSpoon
    Henlo

Quote Originally Posted by mr. leisure View Post
    He sure fizzled out quick .
    James Shields got shelled in his first start with the White Sox. At least Latos did not cost them any prospects like Shields did.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    he was a money train auto fading him for a bit

didn't help that the guy was a clubhouse cancer, by many accounts
    Agree 100%. Not sure what team /if any go after him?!?

BarkingToad

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpoon View Post
    James Shields got shelled in his first start with the White Sox. At least Latos did not cost them any prospects like Shields did.
    Shields is getting paid a lot by both Sox and Padres to lose now. What do you expect from somebody who gave up a homer to Bartolo Colon this year?

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

Four ks and a dp for Giancarlo last night.

EmpireMaker

Stanton has been awful this year.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    Golden sombrero

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Stephen Strasburg become the first NL pitcher to go 10-0 since 1988 as the Nationals overtook the Phillies.

JAKEPEAVY21

Wil Myers is heating up

3 run 2 out homer in 9th to take the lead last night

Otters27

Strasburg Quietly having a historic year. 10-0

EmpireMaker

Wil Myers is heating up

3 run 2 out homer in 9th to take the lead last night
    Last 7 days
    12/23
    R 8
    HR 5
    RBI10
    SB2
    BA .522

BarkingToad

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    That's about a normal night for him.

First ... 41424344454647 ... Last