stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Big Game James to Miami????

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Marlins are "still discussing" James Shields.

It appears that the Marlins' front office wants Shields, but Rosenthal says they need to convince owner Jeffrey Loria it's an investment worth making. Those talks are "ongoing," Rosenthal notes. Shields is said to prefer the West Coast and is shooting for a five-year, $125 million contract, but some executives believe he might have to wind up settling for a four-year deal in the $70-80 million range.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

That might be the least accurate nickname in sports.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    aint that the truth.

Although he did come up big for the Royals down the stretch in the regular season. The Marlins are a perfect fit for him. He is crazy if he does not sign the 4 year deal!

what could be better than not having to face the DH anymore and playing in a pitchers ball park for a contender and living in South Beach and for that salary he could get a house on Biscayne Bay and buy a nice Yatch.

He could easily win 20 games and be in the running w/ Clayton Kershaw and Mad Max for Cy young pitching in that weak ass division and in that huge ball park.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Ofcourse if the Marlins did sign him he could hang out with Dan Haren in the clubhouse and they could both bitch and moan about how bad it is working in
    South Beach and how they would much rather play for a California team...

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

What an awful nickname, so unfortunate.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

aint that the truth.

Although he did come up big for the Royals down the stretch in the regular season. The Marlins are a perfect fit for him. He is crazy if he does not sign the 4 year deal!

what could be better than not having to face the DH anymore and playing in a pitchers ball park for a contender and living in South Beach and for that salary he could get a house on Biscayne Bay and buy a nice Yatch.

He could easily win 20 games and be in the running w/ Clayton Kershaw and Mad Max for Cy young pitching in that weak ass division and in that huge ball park.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

aint that the truth.

BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19211

A lot of money for someone who doesn't play everyday and is a marginal pitcher. It's not like Marlins will be instant contenders b/c of this.

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

When I saw Miami and James I thought you were talking about Lebron. But then I saw the words "big game" and I knew it couldn't be him.

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    For sure, the only 'Big Game James' is James Worthy.

laclippers504
    laclippers504's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 179

Better suited for nl

I say Marlins pull the trigger and do it it. 3 years 70 million

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    What an awful nickname, so unfortunate.
    Shileds grew up in Newhall California, in 1998 he was 11-0 for his HS team, was named Valley Player of the Year by the LA Times
    Every tournament game he threw a big game, one scout said he resembled Big Game James Worthy who recently retired up the highway for the LA Lakers.

The name stuck through college and into the pros.
    OK, having said that, this is what Shileds brings to the table.
    He made his rookie debut in 2006, since the start of the 2007 season, Shields has made every start.
    Has not missed a turn in the rotation in 8 consecutive seasons.
    That's huge! That alone does not command a 8 figure contract, but knowing you have a starter, who is a good clubhouse influence in the way he can teach younger pros, not to mention what that means to the bullpen, saving arms and innings.
    Guaranteed to give you 220 innings pitched a year, and a little more, which is about 30 percent of the rotations innings.
    The downside is he's 33 and has a lot of innings and pitches thrown, you'd have to think twice and three times to give him a long term deal, but you are getting a guy who has very sound mechanics, even if his delivery seems a little funky, butt if I was an owner or GM, you must be concerned as to when he might break down, but he's never even sniffed the DL in his career. (so far)

If I'm a GM, and I need a starter, like the Twins, or even the Angels because of the Garrett Richards injury, he's just been cleared to pitch again, LA's front office's attitude towards Shoemaker is "very nice debut season, but show us again" CJ Wilson has too many question marks attatched to his name, Shields would be a perfect fit there behind Dream Weaver and in front of or behind a healty Garrett Richards.

How's this rotation sound, Weaver,Shield, a 100 percent (not a given) Richards, Shoemaker, Wilson (or a prospect)

Of course you would have give him a 3 year contract, 2 years and a third year option, something like that, say 38-42 million range.
    (he made 13.5 million last season)
    He's a good risk to keep on doing what he's been doing until the age of 36, I would not give him anything longer than that.

Offer him #2 starter money, he's not a bonafide ace, he had to be the staff ace in KC, KC had too many young arms, Shields is not an elite, he's not a true ace either, what he is is extremely reliable and dependable, he's a monster innings eater, he's a good off the field and in the dugout presence, he's a leader and and a teacher.
    Shields is what I call rock steady.

His numbers are on the average a 227 innings pitcher (who has gone 200 innings plus for the last four seasons, no less eight? Not many.
    His career ERA is a steady 3.72 WH/IP is fine at 1.22, it's not Kershaw 1.00 numbers, but it's sure as hell not Saunders either, it's much better than league average, strikes out almost 8 per 9, very nice ratio........

Besides Miami (Florida, whatever you want to call them) Cards still have interest, Houston does too, and SD did show interest earlier in he month, don't know their postion on Shileds now.

Teams would like to have him, just not at his management team terms, teams would take him on their terms though.
    Like I said, if I needed pitching, I'd dangle 28 million for 2 years in front of him, with an option for a third if he gives me two solid seasons, he ain't going to get more than 14 million a year now.