EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 537

Yankees center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury is headed to the 15-day disabled list with a right knee sprain, according to MLB.com.

Ellsbury left Tuesday's loss to the Nationals in the fourth inning with the knee issue.

To fill the roster spot, the Yankees will call up outfielder Slade Heathcott from Triple-A.

In 36 games in Triple-A this season, Heathcott was hitting .280 with one homer and 17 RBI.

EmpireMaker

Red Sox left fielder Hanley Ramirez was forced to leave Tuesday's game against the Rangers with a left leg injury, according to the Boston Herald. Ramirez jammed his leg when he tried to slide and reach base late in the game. He went 3 for 5 with a run scored at the plate before suffering the injury.

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Pablo Sandoval left last night's game after getting hit in the knee by a pitch as well.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    Yankees center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury is headed to the 15-day disabled list with a right knee sprain, according to MLB.com.

Ellsbury left Tuesday's loss to the Nationals in the fourth inning with the knee issue.

To fill the roster spot, the Yankees will call up outfielder Slade Heathcott from Triple-A.

In 36 games in Triple-A this season, Heathcott was hitting .280 with one homer and 17 RBI.
    Ellsbury has had a decent start to the year

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

Bartolo Colon enters tonight seven outs shy of matching Bret Saberhagen's Mets franchise record of 47.2 straight walk-free IP, set in 1994.

EmpireMaker

Quote Originally Posted by koz-man View Post
    Bartolo Colon enters tonight seven outs shy of matching Bret Saberhagen's Mets franchise record of 47.2 straight walk-free IP, set in 1994.
    He got the record up to 48 2/3 and then he got shelled !!!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    He got the record up to 48 2/3 and then he got shelled !!!
    wow his ERA ballooned as fast as his belly

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    wow his ERA ballooned as fast as his belly
    lol. I was thinking the same thing...

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

According to nationalpastime.com, Babe Ruth decided to bat right-handed in the ninth inning on May 21, 1930 -- a game in which he hit three homers.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25
    Shortstop's Avatar Become A Pro!

The University of Illinois baseball team has won 27 games in a row entering today.

A streak like this is practically unheard of in any level of baseball.

The Illini are currently in the Big 10 Tourney and are expected to be a top seed heading into the NCAA Tourney.

MexicanStallion
    MexicanStallion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11171

A lost season for Coco Crisp

Coco Crisp said via Snapchat on Thursday that he got "disheartening news" about his neck injury, but would not elaborate.

The oft-injured outfielder underwent an MRI on Thursday and is scheduled to meet with a doctor in Dallas on Friday. The Athletics should provide an update on his status then, but a trip to the disabled list certainly appears to be in order.

EmpireMaker

Kyle Hendricks hadn't thrown a complete game or shutout in his two-year big league career. He didn't have a win yet this year.That all changed Thursday night, when he dominated the San Diego Padres with a five-hitter that carried the Chicago Cubs to a 3-0 victory. Kris Bryant, who starred at the University of San Diego, hit a two-run homer on the game's seventh pitch.
    ''I'm going to remember this one, definitely, for a long time,'' said Hendricks, who is from up the freeway in Mission Viejo. ''It was just one of those days that finally clicked. I'm not going to say I needed it but I kind of did need it. I haven't been throwing very well. Thank God it finally clicked today.''
    The gem by Hendricks (1-1) included seven strikeouts and no walks. All the Padres' hits were singles. The only baserunner to advance into scoring position was Justin Upton, who stole second base with two outs in the fourth. Yangervis Solarte then flied out to center.
    ''I love that kind of pitcher,'' manager Joe Maddon said. ''Guys like that can be really successful.''
    Hendricks came in with six no-decisions in seven starts, including one against San Diego at Wrigley Field on April 18. Even so, he left the game with the lead in four of his starts.
    ''I pride myself on going deep in games, so obviously I was not very happy with those first seven starts,'' Hendricks said.
    ''Of course we had a couple of home runs, but it was all about Kyle tonight,'' Maddon said. ''When you pitch like that you win a lot of baseball games. He had command of himself, he had command of the game. It was really fun to watch.''
    Hendricks ''just hit his spots,'' said Will Middlebrooks, who singled twice off the right-hander and was erased each time on a double play. ''He's got that two-seamer that starts off the plate and comes back to the corner. He didn't miss his spot many times.''
    Bryant homered to straightaway center field on the seventh pitch by Odrisamer Despaigne (2-3). Dexter Fowler was aboard on a walk for Bryant's fifth homer.
    Assistant hitting coach Eric Hinske ''was telling me, `You don't leave San Diego without a home run,'' Bryant said. ''It was a good one.
    ''I just kind of reacted. It was a good one to hit. I finally got a hanging curve ball. I like to hit those. Those are usually easier to get in the air.''
    Bryant made his big league debut on April 17 against the Padres at Wrigley Field.
    Bryant won the Golden Spikes award at the University of Sand Diego in 2013, when his 31 homers were the most in a season since toned-down composite bats replaced aluminum bats in 2011. The Cubs took him with the second pick overall in the 2013 amateur draft.
    Bryant's parents, Sue and Mike, made the trip from Las Vegas for all three games.

EmpireMaker

Jacob deGrom was simply overpowering. Almost perfect, too.The reigning NL Rookie of the Year retired his final 23 batters following a first-inning single, and Lucas Duda hit two long homers to nearly the same spot Thursday during the New York Mets' 5-0 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals.
    ''I knew I had good command of my pitches - all of them,'' said deGrom, who never even went to a three-ball count.
    The slender righty struck out 11 over eight dominant innings, shrugging off a tender hip and stiff shoulder that had bothered him recently.
    In his latest stingy start at Citi Field, the only blemish was Matt Carpenter's clean single with one out in the first.
    ''It happened so early, I mean it's hard to look back and have any regrets about that,'' deGrom said. ''I honestly didn't think about it. I knew I hadn't been in the stretch in a while so I was just thinking, go right after guys.''
    Michael Cuddyer had his first three-hit game of the season and also walked for a perfect day at the plate. John Mayberry Jr. put the slumping Mets lineup on the scoreboard with an RBI single in the fourth.
    Besides the single by Carpenter, the lone Cardinals hitter to reach base was Kolten Wong with a two-out single off Jeurys Familia in the ninth. The lack of offense left Jaime Garcia little chance to win his first major league start since last June.
    The shaggy-haired deGrom (5-4) posted his fifth double-digit strikeout game and first since Sept. 21 at Atlanta. He is 10-1 with a 1.19 ERA in his past 12 starts at Citi Field, giving him a 1.50 ERA in 16 career home games.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Madison Bumgarner tossed a gem tonight as the Giants shutout the Dodgers, 4-0.

San Francisco Giants
    Pitchers IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA
    Bumgarner
    (W, 5-2)
    6.1 7 0 0 2 6 0 107-67 2.84

Mad Bum also went yard on Clayton Kershaw!

I repeat, Mad Bum also went yard on Clayton Kershaw!

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Quote Originally Posted by Shortstop View Post
    The University of Illinois baseball team has won 27 games in a row entering today.

The Illini are currently in the Big 10 Tourney and are expected to be a top seed heading into the NCAA Tourney.
    I jinxed it!

Illinois lost to Maryland 2-1 tonight at Target Field.

The 27-game win streak is history...

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Wow 27 games!

What at was the line on that Maryland game?

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Good stuff here.
    I was not aware of this. Thanks for the heads up ss...

EmpireMaker

Bryce Harper hit another home run and Scherzer had another dominant outing to help the Washington Nationals beat the Philadelphia Phillies 2-1 on Friday night for their sixth straight win.
    Harper's homer, his 11th in 14 games, tied the score 1-1 in the second inning. Ian Desmond's RBI double drove in Scherzer from first base with the go-ahead run in the sixth. The NL East-leading Nationals are 18-4 since April 28.

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

Glad I took a chance on Harper this year. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

According to nationalpastime.com, Babe Ruth decided to bat right-handed in the ninth inning on May 21, 1930 -- a game in which he hit three homers.
    I wonder how this would go over these days? He'd probably take a fastball to the head!

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Good stuff here.
    I was not aware of this. Thanks for the heads up ss...
    You got it, buddy!

They bounced back today, beating Michigan State.

The Illini can still win the Big 10 Tourney because of the double elimination format...

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Illinois athletic dept in the news for all the wrong reasons lately.

you know they want the baseball team to help people forget the rest!

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    Illinois athletic dept in the news for all the wrong reasons lately.

you know they want the baseball team to help people forget the rest!
    Ahhh. Nothing like a good spin story to divert attention.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

I jinxed it!

Illinois lost to Maryland 2-1 tonight at Target Field.

The 27-game win streak is history...
    Only true baseball lovers believe in the jinx.

Got to love it.!!!!

Like when your watching a game and the broadcaster comes up with some kind of stat.

EX: "This batter has not struck out in 200 plate appearances vs a left hand pitcher during a day game."

And you can guess what happens...

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

David Wright shut down indefinitely, diagnosed with spinal stenosis. Disaster.

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

How long does it take to get over something like that? Is he done from the year?

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

The Yankees are clicking on all cylinders now...

CC has his groove back, A-Rod hit his 10th homer and Betances and Miller continue to dominate out of the pen.

New York Yankees
    Sabathia
    (W, 2-5)
    7.0 6 1 1 0 5 0 87-65 4.67
    Betances
    (H, 8)
    1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 12-8 0.00
    Miller 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 12-9 0.00
    K-M: I jinxed this one, too! The Yankees are 1-9 in their last 10 games!

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Only true baseball lovers believe in the jinx.

Got to love it.!!!!

Like when your watching a game and the broadcaster comes up with some kind of stat.

EX: "This batter has not struck out in 200 plate appearances vs a left hand pitcher during a day game."

And you can guess what happens...
    Haha! So true! Baseball is such a funny game and "The Baseball Gods" play such a big role in what happens...

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    David Wright shut down indefinitely, diagnosed with spinal stenosis. Disaster.
    Wow! Not good news for the Mets and their fans...

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

AJ Burnett with another masterpiece this afternoon against the Mets.

Pittsburgh Pirates
    Burnett
    (W, 4-1)
    7.0 5 1 1 0 10 0 96-60 1.37

The Buccos shelled Matt Harvey which is a great sign for Pittsburgh's struggling sticks!

EmpireMaker

WATCH: Brian Matusz ejected for using 'foreign substance'

By Matt Snyder | Baseball Writer

May 23, 2015 11:58 pm ET

Brian Matusz has been caught red-handed. (MLB.tv)For the second time this week, we've seen a relief pitcher ejected for having a so-called "foreign substance" on his arm. This time around it was Marlins manager Dan Jennings who requested Orioles reliever Brian Matusz's arm be checked out. Once the umpires had a look, Matusz was ejected from the game.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Wow, an epidemic

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

AJ Burnett with another masterpiece this afternoon against the Mets.

Pittsburgh Pirates
    Burnett
    (W, 4-1)
    7.0 5 1 1 0 10 0 96-60 1.37

The Buccos shelled Matt Harvey which is a great sign for Pittsburgh's struggling sticks!
    AJ having a nice season. Only giving up 2 or more earned runs twice....Both against the Reds.

And the Bucs won one of those games.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Happy Memorial Day!!!!

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Happy Memorial Day!!!!
    Back at ya bud.