dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy
    dudekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

how was your draft?

most of us by now have drafted their teams, or are getting ready to draft, for the upcoming fantasy baseball season...couldn't be more excited, I just drafted my team last night and overall I am very satisfied with how it came out...lets make a thread to discuss our drafts and what went wrong/right and talk about our teams

my team, 12 man h2h:
    C - Carlos Ruiz/Ryan Doumit (got doumit with my 2nd to last pick to hold over until ruiz is back, also like that doumit is C/OF eligible)
    1B - Pujols (had the 7th pick overall and couldnt be happier he fell to me)
    2B - Brandon Phillips (was aiming for Utley here, but phillips was still available on the board when it came back to me and he provides some good speed plus hits in the cinci bandbox)
    3B - Adrian Beltre
    SS - Asdrubal Cabrera
    (I didnt realize how truly weak SS is until this draft was unfolding...wow...but cabrera is still a solid source of .avg)
    OF - Ichiro, Ellsbury, Pence
    UTIL
    - Paul Konerko (my steal of the draft...no one was grabbing him so I had to snag him for my utility, great source of homers and avg)
    Bench - Torii Hunter, Michael Young (love this pick, he has 1B/2B/3B eligibility and hits in a much stronger phillies lineup this year), J Kubel (got him with my last pick in the draft and he hit 30 homers last year...might have to drop him for a backup SS like willie bloomquist if cabrera is hurt)

Pitching
    SP - J Weaver, J Peavy, K Medlen, Z Greinke, M Fiers, M Garza, Wandy R, and K Lohse (totally didn't realize he was still a FA)
    RP - H Street, JJ Putz, Jose Veras (late round grab, who knows what closers will be this year)

What do you guys think? I didn't really reach for any pitchers but I still feel like I have a solid balance between hitting and pitching...any comments/suggestions? Post your lineups and I will give any advice if wanted

Straight Cash
    Straight Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

I usually think the teams I draft are good, only to be proven wrong 2 months into the season!

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

Your right about the closers. to many teams are up in the air

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

Had to auto draft, sucks!

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

your pitching is solid but your position players are bad even for a 12 team league. I would suggest you stay active on the waiver wire cuz you really need help.

MexicanStallion
    MexicanStallion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11165

I'm shocked you were gunning for Utley. What a disappointment he has been. I go with the same strategy with closers as you. I just grab the junk guys and hope they can hold their own for a few months. Then pick up some of the next guys who step up later in the season. Last year was one of the seasons when nobody was safe as a closer.

playersonly69
    playersonly69's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 142

I like to have my drafts about 3 days before the season starts

me-first
    me-first's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

2 drafts this week, still doing my homework..

Mitchell88
    Mitchell88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    Had to auto draft, sucks!
    hate auto draft, sucks the most IMO cause if it goes south you feel so screwed

dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy

Quote Originally Posted by MexicanStallion View Post
    I'm shocked you were gunning for Utley. What a disappointment he has been. I go with the same strategy with closers as you. I just grab the junk guys and hope they can hold their own for a few months. Then pick up some of the next guys who step up later in the season. Last year was one of the seasons when nobody was safe as a closer.
    i disagree, utley has been a disappointment because of injury the past year or 2...but he is still a top tier player if he can stay healthy...to me he has a lot of value because he gets drafted so late...also the phillies lineup is much more dangerous this year than years past

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    your pitching is solid but your position players are bad even for a 12 team league. I would suggest you stay active on the waiver wire cuz you really need help.
    i appreciate the input, but why? what is your reasoning here? how are my position players bad, pujols is one of the best in the game, phillips is a top tier 2nd baseman, yes i admit cabrera isnt the best shortstop but considering who is available at SS, he will definitely get the job done...once ruiz comes back if he can produce even half of last years stats i will have a great catcher, ellsbury in a contract year, and ichiro, should be solid sources of stolen bases...beltre is one of the best offensive category producers in the game...im just not seeing why my position players are so terrible?

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

I see Lohse just signed with the Brewers. Familiar with the NL central should help.

makaveli66
    makaveli66's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Draft went very good.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    Team looks OK, OF is a little weak.

dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 38361

extremly good pitching staff you chosen there.

dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy

thanks a lot for the input guys, if anyone wants to post their lineups i will be glad to take a look and offer any advice. the one thing i really took away from my draft is that you dont have to reach early to get a really solid pitching staff. i build up my offense for the first few rounds, and guys like weaver, peavy, greinke, lohse, were all available even into the later rounds. good luck out there

dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy

already made my first trade of the year! i gave up asdrubal*Cabrera and jose veras for jimmy Rollins and andrew bailey....then proceeded to drop Bailey for Joaquin Benoit upon hearing news he may close for detroit...could be a nice upgrade for both spots if J-roll has the comeback year I am predicting he wil