Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

Is Gates No Longer A Must Start?

Only 3 targets, not one target in the 2nd half. I've been starting him automatically each week because he is "Antonio Gates." Starting to think I need to play matchups with him now that I have Celek.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9800

didnt really need to target him, he's still a must start,

with celek it depends,

hell try trading gates with a mediocre player for a rb or wr

Straight Cash
    Straight Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

I think that in most cases he's still a must start, but he's definitely not getting the looks he used to.

Speedy88

Tough game to gauge because it seemed like SD was up by 2 TDs from the get-go. However last week they had to throw to catch up w/ the Falcons and he only had 22 yards.

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

he was 1 of those don't drafts for me. Don't own him in a single league. Agree that you should start Celek especially if its a good matchup. However Gates will still have those few big games that make him a must start most weeks.

Speedy88

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    he was 1 of those don't drafts for me. Don't own him in a single league. Agree that you should start Celek especially if its a good matchup.
    Last yr he was on my "do not draft" list, but he said he was as healthy as ever this year, and he fell to me in the 6th round.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Must start, but need the Chargers to not blow out teams.

It's like A.Johnson (I own him). Texans always go up big out the gate, and they just run run run, and the WR's usually don't get targets. I need those damn Texans to stop blowing out teams.

Speedy88

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Must start, but need the Chargers to not blow out teams.

It's like A.Johnson (I own him). Texans always go up big out the gate, and they just run run run, and the WR's usually don't get targets. I need those damn Texans to stop blowing out teams.
    Completely agree. There are some teams that just don't want to pass the ball when they are up by more than a TD, SD appears to be one of those teams.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post
    Completely agree. There are some teams that just don't want to pass the ball when they are up by more than a TD, SD appears to be one of those teams.
    Which is the correct way to play winning football. Even though I hate it, when I have a WR/TE that needs catches.

Packers, Saints, and Patriots all keep passing when up a decent amount. Which is why they allow other teams to stick around, and get back in it.

Sometimes teams have no choice, because their running game isn't that good, but the Texans have the best of both worlds.

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19468

Gates is no longer the fantasy stud he use too be

Too many tight ends in that system
    they're platooning

ericthegangster
    MARK IT ZERO!
    ericthegangster's Avatar Become A Pro!

You should trade him for jermichael finley. Oh, wait, you don't get points for dropped passes? I think you should stick with antonio gates instead.

dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy
    dudekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

yeah im with you on the andre johnson problem, it sucks he started off yesterday with 2 catches for 55 yards on the FIRST DRIVE of the game....and ended with 2 catches for 55 yards. how is that even possible? i was so worried that he got hurt

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3683

I'm sure there are many other guys out there you could start instead of gates. If I had him on my team, I would have dropped him when he was hurt and never looked back.

Guy is over 30, sadly that is ancient for TEs.

xraygord
    xraygord's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 322

Antonio Gates is awesome. Good to have.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by dudekid View Post
    yeah im with you on the andre johnson problem, it sucks he started off yesterday with 2 catches for 55 yards on the FIRST DRIVE of the game....and ended with 2 catches for 55 yards. how is that even possible? i was so worried that he got hurt
    Yeah. It sucks. We need teams to challenge the Texans. So far he hasn't hurt my team, because I'm going to be 4-0.

We just have to keep starting him, because it is hard to bench him. Even though I have D.Amendola sitting on the bench.

dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy

yeah, its a bit tougher for me because i'm 1-2 and i just traded for johnson...i think he will be a factor but that was just crazy how it played out, 2 great plays on the first drive then NOTHING...i think thats kinda fluky to be honest...my receivers are marshall/austin/wallace/a johnson so im in good shape there, but we do play 3WR and a flex which is where i play all those guys. i have mike williams on the bench too but i started him this week due to wallace's bye, worked out pretty well with 11 points

Speedy88

Just wait until the Texans actually play competition. So far they've played a bunch of weak teams where they have a 2 TD lead by half time. They'll have to throw against a lot of the teams on their upcoming schedule: Packers, Ravens, Chicago, Detroit, etc.

However, next week, they may not throw after the 1st quarter. Once you have a one TD lead on the Jets, you can pretty much start running out the clock.

dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy

ahaha yeah the jets offense is horrible, but knowing the nfl this year, they will probably blow houston out next week LOL cant even make this shit up

to answer your question about gates, sadly its starting to look that way...i say sadly because i have him in one of my leagues too, and its .5PPR in that one...hes still been a dud...reports out of camp were so great and he was "ready to prove all the naysayers wrong about how fragile he is" then he goes out and gets hurt pretty much instantly...and especially on a team with no real good WR options (floyd? meachem? cmon now) you would think he'd have to be productive.....SD must have a pretty solid defense because their offense is pretty weak in most areas but they are winning games

Speedy88

Quote Originally Posted by dudekid View Post
    ahaha yeah the jets offense is horrible, but knowing the nfl this year, they will probably blow houston out next week LOL cant even make this shit up

to answer your question about gates, sadly its starting to look that way...i say sadly because i have him in one of my leagues too, and its .5PPR in that one...hes still been a dud...reports out of camp were so great and he was "ready to prove all the naysayers wrong about how fragile he is" then he goes out and gets hurt pretty much instantly...and especially on a team with no real good WR options (floyd? meachem? cmon now) you would think he'd have to be productive.....SD must have a pretty solid defense because their offense is pretty weak in most areas but they are winning games
    Well I can't bench him next week against New Orleans. If he doesn't produce here, then I give up on him. Won't cut him, but definitely will play him based on matchups. Expecting big things from him next week, but I have expected big things from him every week. SD has had a pretty easy schedule, which makes me very worried about Gates. SD is yet to face an elite NFL defense.

Speedy88

Another bad game. Almost had that TD, but "almost" and "should have" doesn't count for anything in fantasy. Going to give him one more week.

However, if you can get him for not a lot, I'd buy low on him.

dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy

yeah that was really disappointing to see meachem of all people burn the saints for 2 TDS and gates couldnt even get 5 points...sad

Scalamanga
    Scalamanga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Quote Originally Posted by ericthegangster View Post
    You should trade him for jermichael finley. Oh, wait, you don't get points for dropped passes? I think you should stick with antonio gates instead.
    Maybe he is in a PPD league. If thats the case you should see if you can get Finley, Greg Little and Braylon Edwards for Gates.

Speedy88

Gates' problem is that teams are really focusing in on him. With VJax no longer there, most of the coverage rolls over to Gates. He still looks good, but defenses are taking him away.

Speedy88

Wow, can't believe I have to come back to this topic. He had a nice stretch from week 6-10, but now he is back to his old ways. 2 catches for 17 yards last week, 2 catches for 13 yards yesterday.

It's hard not to start Gates because of his nack for finding the endzone, but I'm not sure I can risk getting another 1 point game out of him. He does have a nice matchup next week at home against Cinci.

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

I dont draft players from the following teams:
    San Diego Chargers,
    Jacksonville Jaguars,
    Kansas City Chiefs,
    Arizona Cardinals...

Neither should you

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

I'm in the same boat with one of my teams. I have Gates and he's been so inconsistent. Injuries have hit my team hard the last couple weeks and the near goose eggs Gates is putting up are starting to affect my team. I was cruising undefeated until two weeks ago when Harvin went down, then Shady McCoy. The rest of my team had been scoring points and pretty much covered the hole at TE that Gates has been, but now I need to get production from him. I tried trading for Owen Daniels before the deadline, but the guy wanted too much. Waiver Wire pretty thin, thinking of picking up Marcedes Lewis. With Henne at QB, he's starting to see more targets and could at least get me 5-8 points a game, which is better than what Gates is bringing to the table.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

As soon as ya bench him...
    Guess what will happen?

dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy

M lewis, b myers, j gresham, t moeaki, j tamme are all some names that might be available but its really tough to bench gates for them...in the league i have gates i at least have a playoff spot so ill see how this next week goes...but he sure has been a bum this yr no doubt

stevex
    stevex's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11350

I had Gates last year and he was hurt most of the year. All signs pointed to him having a come back year, hell that's the reason why I drafted him again but my god this year (and I would think from Gates perspective to) has just been awful. The only time he actually gets fantasy points is if he scores a TD. His yards/game are just down right ugly.

I'm hoping he comes around just in time for the fantasy playoffs and goes off a couple of games or something. That's really all you can hope for at this point. A poster made a good point before to with teams worrying about VJax when he was there, that helped Gates a lot.

romecloneout
    romecloneout's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 489

this kid is fukkin killing me.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

I'm sure VD owners feel the same way. He has had a couple goose eggs this year. And now saying the 49ers need to stick with Alex Smith. after his recent egg.

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

Get the tight end for the Tampa Bay bucs. I think it's Dallas Clark?

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3683

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick22 View Post
    Denver has given up tons of fantasy points to Tight Ends this year.

I cant believe I actually accepted a trade for this guy (got rid of another underachiever V.Davis).

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick22 View Post
    Yes. Clark gets it done weekly.