WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Can the BCS Title Game learn from NCAA BB Tournament?

One man's opinion.....................

If college football can learn anything from its counterpart in basketball, it's this. Don't wait so long between the end of the regular season and the start of your biggest bowl game. Folks complain every year about NCAA basketball tournament selections but seven days after the brackets are announced, the field already is chopped from 68 teams to 16, and the excitement of the games has taken over the national discussion. College football has about five weeks between the last regular season contest and the BCS National Championship Game. All that's left for fans to do is watch lower-tier bowl games. And wait. And whine. And wait some more. And whine some more. By the time the two finalist eventually get around to playing each other, the roar of complaints about the BCS selections almost overtakes the excitement of the game. Please, BCS, cut down the waiting time.

Your comments are welcome.............................

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Spot on. My feelings exactly. By time the BCS Championship game rolls around, most people are simply bowled out. It also affected both teams. Both Auburn and Oregon played terribly for the first three quarters of the game. There is absolutely no reason at all to have 2nd and 3rd tier bowl games being played after New Years Day. No one cares about the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. Why play it 8 days after New Years? Ditto the GMAc and BBVA Bowl that they play in Birmingham in front of 972 fans. The schedules should work like this. All 2nd and 3rd tier Bowl Games should be completed by 12/31. All 1st tier Bowl Games should be completed by 1/1. The BCS should have the Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowls on 1/1, The Orange Bowl on 1/2, and the Sugar Bowl on 1/3. If the Sugar Bowl is hosting the BCS game, they can switch places with the Orange Bowl to give that city more time to prepare. The BCS Championship game should be on 1/8. It is that simple.

WorkHorse

You made my case Biddaddy.

When teams play 5 or 6 weeks after the regular season, it's not the same team that finishes up the season. Just to long a lay off in my opinion. If Auburn and Oregon had played say two weeks after the regular season....both teams would have been sharper and better focused.

I'm sure others will disagree...................

fishmonger
    Very sharp square
    fishmonger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

I wish every team made it into a bowl. Who doesn't want more football? I wish they played one bowl game a day for three months until the BCS title game.

WorkHorse

Fish, you are like some of my friends who just love any football game. I love college football as well as the next guy but some of these bowl games are downright boring. Unless I have money riding, I just can't get interested in some of these minor bowls.

Way to many in my opinion.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Comparing football to basketball is basically comparing apples to oranges. The shear number of players involved differ enormously. It is not fair to try and compare both.

fishmonger
    Very sharp square
    fishmonger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    Fish, you are like some of my friends who just love any football game. I love college football as well as the next guy but some of these bowl games are downright boring. Unless I have money riding, I just can't get interested in some of these minor bowls.

Way to many in my opinion.
    I hear what you are saying. I just love the Middle tenn st vs Ball state ring to it. I do love any football game that is played and dumb enough to bet on any football game that is played. But having action on the last football games of every team is just a good way to end off the season with a blast. I do agree that some of those bowls do have "middle of the road teams" playing each other but no one is forcing you to watch them. And if the bowls were not profitable then they would stop. I think the market will adjust to what the people want. I would watch the "Toilet bowl" if it matched to two worst teams in college football. It's not always finding good teams to bet on. I like finding bad teams to bet against, and for.

RPP
    RPP's Avatar Become A Pro!

I wish, but they only care about $ and big schools make money. Not little ones.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

8-team playoff system!

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

There will not be any type of playoff system for years. An 8 team playoff system means that two teams will have to play three straight games in three different parts of the country with one week between games to prepare for the next game. That is hard enough for the teams, but presents a logitical nightmare for the people who have to get the teams, bands, etc...into hotel rooms. It also makes it nearly impossible for students to attend all three games, and very expensive for any alum to do so. This simply will not happen. The best system is the +1 system. Play all the BCS Bowl games on or before 1/3 (1/4 for this year, being leap year). The Rose will feature Champs from the Big 10+2 vs the Champs from the Pac 12. The Fiesta gets the Big 12-2 Champ vs an at-large team. The Sugar gets the SEC Champ vs an at-large. The Orange Bowl gets the ACC Champ vs an at-large, though it should be the Big East Champ. If that is not enough to choose from, make the MWC an AQ conference, and have them host the Fiesta Bowl. Add the Cotton Bowl to the BCS lineup and have the Big 12-2 Champ host that game. That adds on two teams that would be considered "at large" teams to the mix. After those games are completed, pick the two highest ranking survivors and have your Championship game.

LVBOUND
    Living the DREAM!!
    LVBOUND's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 119

8 Team Playoff is what is needed.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Ralphie Nader needs to go after the Evil NCAA Football Bowl System (ENFBS) rather than scholarships. That way we can get our 8-team playoff system sooner.

Why am I talking about Nader, has he any credibility left? All my SoCal granola-eaters want to is lock him in the same cell as W.

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

The money argument makes no sense. You're saying Schools involved in an 8 team playoff wouldn't make any money?

You can still keep the lower bowls around too, it makes no sense.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I do not know if the 8 teams involved would make any money at all. Look at all the teams that played in BCS Bowl games and LOST money. And you expect them to do this every week for potentially thre weeks? Both Auburn and Oregon lost money in last year's N.C. game. Schools will not take losses for potentially three straight weeks. When you start to add up all of the expenses, such as transportation, hotel rooms, food, cost of tickets, and everything else, you are looking at huge money, much more than the average fan realizes. Do the math.

bornselling
    bornselling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 196

time the BCS Championship game rolls around, most people are simply bowled out.

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

I could live with football 24/7 365 and I don't care who is playing. Just put on a game and give me some lines to bet on and I am a happy man.