sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper
    sweetpete57@'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

SWEETPETE's Week 3 Picks/Write Ups (10-5 YTD)

(5-1 LW----Winners--Temple, Okla, TEX A&M (best bet), LA-Mon, WV/ECU Under---Loser--N. Dame)

When Aldous Huxley wrote 'Brave New World' in 1932, I don't even think he would have envisioned a world where emotions would be taken away from sport. But, after watching the end of the BYU/Washington game Saturday, I've decided we are on pace so that within 5 years athletes will no longer be able to show emotion of any kind during competition.

If tossing a ball over your shoulder after scoring the biggest TD of your life constitutes a 15 yard penalty; then by today's standards Desmond Howard would have been drawn and quartered after doing the Heisman pose after scoring a TD at Michigan. Maybe the NCAA can do away with tailgating and bands while they're at it. Sheesh. What a joke.

On to this weeks selections, more picks to be added between wednesday and friday. All lines legendz.com

USC -10.5 vs Ohio St.
    For the second straight year Ohio St. is overrated. They had no business being in the championship game LY, and have shown that they have no business being considered for it this year. Any doubts people had about USC should have evaporated after the win @ Virg. If OSU couldn't do anything against the mighty Ohio Bobcat defense, just think what'll happen vs. the Trojans. USC 38-7

IOWA ST. +14 @ Iowa
    10 Reasons why I love Drake basketball--Sorry. Wrong Iowa collegiate sports thread. Back to the Cy-Hawk Trophy game. ISU was a big dog last year and won easily. The dog has generally had the upper hand in this series. Iowa wasn't all that good LY, and Iowa St. has looked fairly impressive so far (by Iowa St. standards). I'm sure Iowa will win, but ISU is good enough to keep it competitive. Iowa 27-20

MICHIGAN -1 @ Notre Dame
    You can bash Michigan all you want, but as far as I'm concerned the only FBS team that can't beat Notre Dame is San Diego St. And in reality, if not for that questionable Goal-line fumble, SDSU DID beat Notre Dame. So, by default, Michigan wins. Very little offense in this one. The over/under in a Mich./ND soccer match should be higher than in saturday's game. MICHIGAN 20-7

BUFFALO -6.5 vs Temple
    I hate having to go against Temple after they won me so much money the first two weeks; but in reality, this game should be quite one-sided. Buff. RB James Starks should have a field day against a Temple team that can't stop the run. Plus, Temple won't have a torrential downpour to help them out in that department. That's pretty much the only key to this game. Starks vs. bad run defense. BUFFALO 31-10

TULANE +13 vs E. Carolina
    Some games just scream off the page "bet me" when the lines come out. This game is definitely not one of them. In fact I almost don't even want to make a play on this game. ECU could very easily win by 40. ECU is coming off two huge wins (both at home) and are now the great cinderella story of '08 so far. Tulane is coming off a hurricane and a frustrating loss to Alabama--a game that they did not play all that poorly. All signs point to a HUGE letdown for ECU and hopefully a Tulane squad eager to prove themselves against another strong team. Risky pick, but defineitely the right one. ECU 34-27

CLEMSON -19 vs. NC State
    We have to assume that Clemson is much better than their performance against Alabama would indicate. We don't need to assume that NC State sucks, because we've seen it with our own eyes vs. S. Carolina. If they can get past the frustration of Week 1, Clemson is far and away the obvious choice in this game. The Tigers are still the frontrunner in the ACC and Bowden will have them focussed in the conference opener. CLEMSON 38-7
    GL everyone!
    Last edited by sweetpete57@; 09-11-08 at 11:53 PM. Reason: add pick

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

May have to disregard Texas/Ark. selection due to weather. I already placed a huge bet on Texas so hopefully they just postpone the game.

seriousaddiction
    seriousaddiction's Avatar Become A Pro!

agree with Michigan...ND is terrible on both sides of the Ball...at least Michigan has a respectable defense...I think if Michigan can manage to get 17 points they win and cover easy

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Im on Michigan as well

teaserpleaser

What are your thoughts one Georgia -7, ECU -7(bought points in a parlay) Vanderbilt -6.5

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

As far as I'm concerned, Notre Dame doesn't even have much a home advantage anyway. I think teams get more revved up playing there than other venues.

I think Georgia is a good bet, due to the fact that these SEC games usually bring in lots of fans from the visiting team thus lessening the home advantage. S.C. beat up on an awful NC State team but showed their true colors vs. Vandy. I think Georgia wins easily and will probably make a nice sized play. I'm not touching ECU or Vandy just because of the letdown factor. Plus, Vandy has a big conf. game @ Ole Miss next week so they could be looking ahead.

teaserpleaser

gotcha.... Yeah I think Georgia covers the 7 easily but i will be watching, I have my usual play on Vandy but -6.5 I saw rice play SMU (SMU isnt very good) I really believe this is a different Vandy team but I've been saying that since summer scrimages. That Vandy D is just nasty (Rice has no D) If Vandy wants to even sniff a bowl they had better win this game... Coach Johnson always has Vandy ready to play. ( just for the hell of it I parlayed USC, Georgia, ECU all on ML getting back even $$$ I'll laugh my ass off if ECU beats me 2 weeks in a row then loses to Tulane)

casper
    casper's Avatar Become A Pro!

What about U.Va +12.5 v. Uconn?

This jumped out at me as a gift....no way you can tell me that the Huskies are that much better than Virginia. This would seem to be a pick'em game. Granted, the Cavs looked like garbage against USC but Uconn struggled with Temple. I have not checked the line recently on this but I like Virginia--way too many points!

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

I agree, on paper the Virginia game looks good. I'd have a hard time taking UConn on the road with so many points against anybody. But, as you said, the Cavs looked awful so I'll probably only make a small play on UVa.

Teaserpleaser--- I have been convinced by people on a different thread that Tulane +13 is a great pick. I didn't realize how well Tulane actually played against 'Bama, though the score didn't show up. This is a trap game and ECU would win outright so be careful using them in a teaser!

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog
    VegasDave's Avatar Become A Pro!

Like it pete, gl!

dr123
    dr123's Avatar Become A Pro!

what kind of record you feeling this weekend sweetpete?

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete57@ View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, Notre Dame doesn't even have much a home advantage anyway. I think teams get more revved up playing there than other venues.

I think Georgia is a good bet, due to the fact that these SEC games usually bring in lots of fans from the visiting team thus lessening the home advantage. S.C. beat up on an awful NC State team but showed their true colors vs. Vandy. I think Georgia wins easily and will probably make a nice sized play. I'm not touching ECU or Vandy just because of the letdown factor. Plus, Vandy has a big conf. game @ Ole Miss next week so they could be looking ahead.
    Thanks for the heads up

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

GL this week

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

Quote Originally Posted by dr123 View Post
    what kind of record you feeling this weekend sweetpete?
    Honestly, I'll be happy with 3-2. I feel the TX/Ark cancellation is an omen. I was ready to pound that one.

Michigan and USC seem like easy plays, but I worry that they're traps. Maybe Ohio St. and Notre Dame fooled us last week.

Iowa St and Tulane are dangerous dogs that could win outright. But if ECU and Iowa are on their A-games, it could get ugly.

Buffalo is probably my strongest pick due solely to the mismatch in the running game. None of these games are really all that strong and therefore not worthy of a "best bet." But, I'm still confident in a winning record this week.
    Last edited by sweetpete57@; 09-11-08 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typo

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    GL this week
    thanks-- you too

gm2022
    gm2022's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nice write ups gl sir, lets everyone here on SBR cash this weekend

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

thanks GM--good luck saturday

Just added CLemson -19. Can't believe I overlooked that one initially. That one could get ugly.

WestsidePete
    WestsidePete's Avatar Become A Pro!

Also on USC this weekend.....GL

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

Wells is doubtful for OSU. USC should slaughter them. I'm upping my bet

Jroc85
    Jroc85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Buff CLEM USC and Geo are solid. Good picks.

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

Not official picks, but here are 2 Unders we should consider...

Mich/ND -37.5-----wow. 80% chance of rain + 2 inept offenses. Cha-ching
    Iowa St./Iowa -48---Traditionally a low scoring series + 90% chance of rain

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

Another UNDER to consider--Mizzou/Nevada -68.... 80% chance of rain, NEV top RB Lippincott out for year.

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Phil Steele has Notre Dame as his most improved team in the country I respect the hell out of his service and I don't bet against him but I really don't get this one? They looked sluggish as usual and every time I watch them I can't decide who's more overrated Clausen or Weis? Maybe it was just the first game jitters but I doubt it?

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Grass + rain is a big factor! Turf + rain...not so much! Doesn't Mizzou play on that field turf stuff? I think I'm going to look at Iowa/ISU Under....I remember how bad Iowa's offense was last year and they play on grass!

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

I respect Phil Steele too--the most honest pro 'capper out there. They sent me their power sweep this week and have Iowa, ND, S. Car. as 2* selections, and Ohio St. as the 'Dog of the week. I strongly disagree with all those. But, he may be right about ND being improved, which is why I'm worried about this game a little (last week may have been a fluke). But I'm with you--Claussen sucks and Weis can't coach so Michigan should win easily

As for the Mizzou Under--I'm not thinking the wet field turf will slow Mizzou down at all. I'm looking at it differently. I think if its a 4-5 TD lead in the second half and raining, both teams will do whatever to pack it in and there won't be much 2nd half scoring. I think Mizzou wins 45-10 or so
    Last edited by sweetpete57@; 09-12-08 at 02:38 PM.

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

Wells is out. USC -11 @ Betonline.com. Pound it!

regularguy
    regularguy's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like the Nevada/Mizzou under. I got it at 70.5.

I think the weather will have an impact.

But, to me, the biggest factor is the injury to Luke Lippincott. He's out for the season. That is just huge. He's a terrific back, and a team leader. Also, Nevada has had some trouble in the red zone. Overall, I thought Nevada's offense was a little bit overrated, even before Lippincott wen down. Now I'm thinking Nevada will have some serious trouble scoring at times. I don't see Nevada scoring over twenty in this game.

On the other hand, I think Nevada's defense is a little bit underrated. The defensive line is looking real good. The linebackers are solid. The defensive backs are looking better than expected. There are some hitters on the squad. Missouri might be surprised to find themselves punting a few times in this game.

Basically, I think your 45-10 call sounds about right. Maybe Nevada gets a few more.

I just can't see this game going over 70.

Good luck to you all.

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

For what it's worth, I did a 6 pt PLEASER with the Unders of Mizzou/Nev U64, and ND/Michigan U31.5. It pays 6-1. Worth a shot. I think the mizzou game goes way under.

caseyking2
    Clemson Tigers!!
    caseyking2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2490

I'm taking clemson -20 also but I was wondering if anyone else was jumping on the Over 45?

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

Stupid Clemson. They should have beat this garbage team by 50. Gotta love the safety to give Iowa St. the cover!!!!

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

I'm very content going 3-3 today. I don't want to hear people say how good Notre dame is. If Michigan wouldn't have fumbled 39 times they would have won that game. Crazy day.