sterling111
    sterling111's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by wtt0315 View Post
    tcu would beat both of these guys
    Now that's the funniest thing I've seen posted so far today.

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

i really wish we could have a plus 1 at least

SportsBettingPro
    SportsBettingPro's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jgray View Post
    But Kelly is a guy that often does the unconventional. Going for it on 4th down, 2 point conversions, fake punts, fake FGs. Letting them score seems to fit right in with his MO. Put another way, Bill Stewart is never letting them score.

In the end it comes down to math. The all-time leading scorer at Auburn has an 85-90% chance to make the kick from 30-35 yards out (I'm assuming they get 5-8 yards on the first three downs but are stopped short of a first down on third) vs. the Oregon offense scoring a TD in that spot. Personally, I think the chances of Oregon scoring a TD are better than 15%. Probably closer to 30-40%.

Assuming your numbers are correct and OT is 50/50, that means allowing the score gives them 15-20% to win and not allowing it gives them 10-15%. That isn't much of a difference.

jgray
    jgray's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Quote Originally Posted by SportsBettingPro View Post
    Assuming your numbers are correct and OT is 50/50, that means allowing the score gives them 15-20% to win and not allowing it gives them 10-15%. That isn't much of a difference.
    Isn't your math incomplete? Why not multiply the chance of winning on the missed FG by 50% too? It was tied at 19. A miss sends the game to OT.

Thus, the difference is between 5-7.5% vs 15-20%.

cadillac pete
    cadillac pete's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6636

But Kelly is a guy that often does the unconventional. Going for it on 4th down, 2 point conversions, fake punts, fake FGs. Letting them score seems to fit right in with his MO. Put another way, Bill Stewart is never letting them score.

In the end it comes down to math. The all-time leading scorer at Auburn has an 85-90% chance to make the kick from 30-35 yards out (I'm assuming they get 5-8 yards on the first three downs but are stopped short of a first down on third) vs. the Oregon offense scoring a TD in that spot. Personally, I think the chances of Oregon scoring a TD are better than 15%. Probably closer to 30-40%.
    Your absolutly right. I guess Kelly suffered a costly lapse of creative judgment.

nli07
    nli07's Avatar Become A Pro!

If I was a Oregon Duck fan, I would have much preferred to leave the game in the hands of LaMichael James than in the hands of God hoping the kicker misses.

I can't believe there are SOOO MANY of you who thought the same way!!!
    We should all be coaches haha.

jkilla990
    jkilla990's Avatar Become A Pro!

What happens if you let them score but the runner purposely takes a knee at the 1 yard line. then they milk the clock and get a very easy chip shot.

MrExacta
    MrExacta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

had oregon +3.5 early on....needed every bit of it.

MrExacta `-

jgray

Quote Originally Posted by jkilla990 View Post
    What happens if you let them score but the runner purposely takes a knee at the 1 yard line. then they milk the clock and get a very easy chip shot.
    Well, then you are screwed.

We've seen that a number times before. Westbrook did it for Philly. MJD too. And the kid from Stanford did it earlier this year (although they didn't need the FG in that spot as they were up 4).

There's nothing you can do if they won't score. The issue is do you let them try.

jkilla990
    jkilla990's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well, then you are screwed.

We've seen that a number times before. Westbrook did it for Philly. MJD too. And the kid from Stanford did it earlier this year (although they didn't need the FG in that spot as they were up 4).

There's nothing you can do if they won't score. The issue is do you let them try.

What im saying is youd be better off trying to hold them for a 40 yard field goal then to automatically give them the game if they decide and kneel down. If they are a smart team they will always win the game in that situation whereas if you dont let them score, they have to make a semi difficult field goal.

jgray

Quote Originally Posted by jkilla990 View Post
    What im saying is youd be better off trying to hold them for a 40 yard field goal then to automatically give them the game if they decide and kneel down. If they are a smart team they will always win the game in that situation whereas if you dont let them score, they have to make a semi difficult field goal.
    While I think your concern is legitimate in theory, last night we know they not have taken a knee on the one yard line (at least we can be pretty sure). When Dyer broke free the only thing that kept him from the endzone was Oregon tacklers.

bradthebloke
    bradthebloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

prob cuz their offense was pretty stagnant most of the game

blackbart
    blackbart's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20721

simple
    odds of org winning if they let auburn burn the clock and kick fg = 0%
    odds of org winning if they let auburn score the td [something] > 0%
    i was hoping org didnt realize this

First 12