The NardDog
    The NardDog's Avatar Become A Pro!

New to this, can someone explain tonights lack of line movement

I always thought with reverse line movement it favored the team that had the lesser number of bettors on their side.

For example, Arkansas is the public betting favorite at right at 60% on the spread and and 60% on the money line as well, and the line has remained the same as the opening line.

Also, is there an accurate way other than gauging the closing line and line movement the day of the game, to tell which team the sharps are on?

I've been reading a book You Can Bet On It by Larry Grossman, trying to refine what I do from gambling to making better more consensus picks.

I started the year at 2500 and am down to 1500 and would like to take that back up to over 5000 by the end of the NFL season. I've picked the last 3 right, OU -15, Seahawks SU, and Stanford -4 last night.

I am leaning Arkansas tonight and was hoping some of you that are more in the know could answer my question.

Donnie Brasco
    Donnie Brasco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1150

First off with proper money management, you couldnt get 1500 to 5000 in that time. With 1500 your max bet should be no more than $75. Good luck!

Quake
    Quake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by The NardDog View Post
    I always thought with reverse line movement it favored the team that had the lesser number of bettors on their side.

For example, Arkansas is the public betting favorite at right at 60% on the spread and and 60% on the money line as well, and the line has remained the same as the opening line.

Also, is there an accurate way other than gauging the closing line and line movement the day of the game, to tell which team the sharps are on?

I've been reading a book You Can Bet On It by Larry Grossman, trying to refine what I do from gambling to making better more consensus picks.

I started the year at 2500 and am down to 1500 and would like to take that back up to over 5000 by the end of the NFL season. I've picked the last 3 right, OU -15, Seahawks SU, and Stanford -4 last night.

I am leaning Arkansas tonight and was hoping some of you that are more in the know could answer my question.
    First off, just so you know, when you see 60% of bets on one team, that means 60% of the tickets bought are for this team, the amount of money on that team is not at all reflected in the %.
    Remember, for the most part vegas wants even money on both sides so they guarantee profit.
    So say team A has 80% of the bets but the line doesn't move. This means the larger bets ("sharp") are all on team B or the line would have moved. (despite unbalanced %'s, money is balanced on both sides)
    Reverse line movement would be where say, for example, Team A is getting 70% of the bets but the line is still moving toward Team B. This means some big bettors ("sharps") are laying huge $ on team B. (more $ than is coming from the other 70%)
    Hope that helps, this is pretty complicated stuff.
    Word of advice, instead of shooting for 5K, reduce your bets drastically and aim for that 2500 mark. When your winning & it seems easy like right now there is usually a losing streak right around the corner. BOL