horsefan
    horsefan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i have a question about point spreads

In tomorrows football game i will be betting on ohio state to beat penn state. the point spread is -18 for ohio and +18 for penn state. i don't understand how point spreads work.

ManBearPig
    ManBearPig's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by horsefan View Post
    In tomorrows football game i will be betting on ohio state to beat penn state. the point spread is -18 for ohio and +18 for penn state. i don't understand how point spreads work.
    Here's the quick version. Anything negative (-) is considered the favorite and will often be referenced as laying points. Anything positive (+) is getting points. Teams that give points are generally considered the favorite.

In this game OSU is favored by 18 (-18) and Penn St is an 18pts dog (+18), so OSU is the favorite.

I suggest you hit do some reading on football point spreads as they can explain it in more detail, there are numerous sites to explain the basics of sports betting out there so I won't vouch for a single one.

Blazermaniac
    Blazermaniac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1027

Must be a newbbie. Well son.....I don't want to say anything but my best advice to you is don't ever get involve. Once you're in....you'll only be playing catch up.....chasing to recover your lost. Take it from me....you'll never get rich gambling. You'll win here and there but loose more than you win.....I can gaurantee you that. There are profesionals but even some are on the minus side at the end of the season.

kalamity85
    kalamity85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 371

Quote Originally Posted by horsefan View Post
    so if you bet on ohio st. then you are betting that ohio st. will beat penn st. by more than 18 points. if you bet penn st. then you are betting ohio st. will beat penn st. by less than 18 points or penn st. will win outright.

horsefan

thank you to manbearpig for explaining, and thanks to blazermaniac for your advice.

horsefan

thanks kalamity