SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

Texas vs THE Ohio State University...tell me something i dont know.

For starters I didn't expect the oddsmakers to open this game at Pick'em. I was looking for OSU -2.5.

Has OSU ever lost a big night game at home in the modern era?

Who has the best defense? Texas has speed and depth and they hit. OSU has power, the kind that controls the line and forces miss direction runs and quick passes.

As far as triggermen go Texas has the edge but in front of a hostile crowd the still young junior QG could be nervous making this matchup nearly even.

Big home field edge to OSU.

My take; OSU needs to break this thing open early. tex will be nervous and play conservative for the 1st half. All Texas in the second half as they settle down and match X's and O's. If OSU can not pull away early then I think texas will pound them good. If they can pull away they will still have to hold on. Tex was down 35-14 to OSU last year (okla st that is) at the half and ended up blowing them out 56-35 i think.

Thats my take...any others?

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

John, i call them the Luckeyes and that about sums it all up

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    Luckeyes
    :an_cheers

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

won't be on this one...but it looks like you've handicapped it pretty well...

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I think Texas has a little too much material for Ohiop State and should win the game like 24-17

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

One observation: I think Mack Brown has had national championship caliber talent the last 5 years. I think Tressel has had less than national championship caliber talent and he has won one national championship in the last 5 years.

Conclusion: Mack Brown seems to nut-up in big games (insert record versus Oklahoma here) while Tressel relishes it. In a game that seems pretty even, I would take the Buckeyes at home. If Bob Stoops can figure out that you have to make Young beat you with his arm and not his legs, I believe Tressel can figure that out plus some.

I don't know anything more than anyone else but there is no way I would bet Texas here.

E

SBR_John
    Wisky

Conclusion: Mack Brown seems to nut-up in big games (insert record versus Oklahoma here) while Tressel relishes it.
    I only agree with that about 1,000,000 PERCENT. Could this be Mack-daddy's break out year??? or is he as his critics spot on that he is a loser with great talent?

jjgold

Mac brown is an overrated coach that has underachieved at Texas

He will be fired if he loses more than 2 games this year

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Living in Alabama, we laugh about Texas's recent decision to give Mack Brown a 10-year extension. No coach at Auburn or Alabama could ever lose to their biggest rival 6 years in a row, because they wouldn't still be around, regardless of if they were going 10-2 and 11-1 every year.

As I posted on Saturday's Best Bet thread, OSU is one of our top plays this week. The most glaring statistic I've ever seen in a pick-em type game was this: Tressel 6-1 against Top 10, Brown 0 for last 8 against Top 10. Plus we think OSU has the better defense and special teams, and only slightly inferior offense.

why
    why's Avatar Become A Pro!

This may be a game I just sit back and watch without action, wow what a novel idea. Can I really do that?

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

No coach at Auburn or Alabama could ever lose to their biggest rival 6 years in a row, because they wouldn't still be around, regardless of if they were going 10-2 and 11-1 every year.

Come take a look at Barry Alvarez against Michigan. He is considered one of the best coaches in Big Ten History yet he has beat Michigan one time in his 15 years. Look what happened to John Cooper at OSU....Rose Bowls and all, if you can't beat Michigan more than once in a decade and a half people should really rethink his place in Big Ten coaching history.

As for the TEXAS/OSU game....i am staying away from it. A lot better games than this...but if I had to pick, I'd take Texas but I'll be at a wedding so I really don't care anymore

SBR_John
    Wisky

The most glaring statistic I've ever seen in a pick-em type game was this: Tressel 6-1 against Top 10, Brown 0 for last 8 against Top 10.
    Texas beat Michigan game before last(ok is was the Rose Bowl 5 months ago ) and I think they were in the top 10.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nope, they were 13th. I thought the same thing when I first stumbled on that statistic.

SBR_John
    Wisky

Good job on the stats Razz. Quite a few of those losses were to the #1 ranked team as the dog.

I'm a homer so I'll be on the game but I'm gonna wait for the halftime line and see how the offensive and defensive lines play.

raiders72001
    raiders72001's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15373

Even though Young throws like Rick Ankiel I'm on Tex.

jjgold

If Texas loses Mac is gone at end of year and they will buy out his contract

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i don't think this game is gonna get him fired JJ. if any game gets him fired, it will be the losing the red river shootout to sooners again.