Uncle Harv
    Uncle Harv's Avatar Become A Pro!

Get all over USC -2.5 before line moves

I would never say anything is a lock, but USC -2.5 vs. Cal is about as close as you can get IMO. As a Cal fan I can tell you that the Bears do not play well against USC. Theyve lost 5 in a row, getting dominated in 4. They will stack the line to try to slow down Vareen, and Riley wont make enough plays. Infact, he'll prob throw a couple picks. On the flipside, Barkley is having an efficient year and the Trojans are putting up points. Book it now before the line moves. USC by 10+ in this one.

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

You're a Cal fan with a USC cheerleader in your avatar?

Most Bear fans I know hate everything about USC. Everything.

Times are changing at USC. They haven't looked good all year long, and they may end up with a losing record.

Uncle Harv

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBlank View Post
    You're a Cal fan with a USC cheerleader in your avatar?

Most Bear fans I know hate everything about USC. Everything.

Times are changing at USC. They haven't looked good all year long, and they may end up with a losing record.
    Didnt go to Cal, just like their football squad....and how could anyone not like USC cheerleaders?? I mean really...

You are right things are changing at USC, but Cal is just not strong enough this year to go into USC and win, I dont believe. Barkley is solid, but theyre D is not.

ZBOIZ
    ZBOIZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

I do like USC in this spot

M.W.
    M.W.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6270

Cal is the better team. No reason they should lose this game.

Uncle Harv

Ownership is ownership. Just like Penn State/Iowa every year.

MartinBlank

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Harv View Post
    Ownership is ownership. Just like Penn State/Iowa every year.
    Not sure you can use that line of reasoning.

My goodness, just look at the USC/Stanford history. SC had won 5 in a row-----mauling Stanford 5 straight years---then Stanford won in 2007, 2009, and now 2010.

Same situation as Cal is in. USC has won five in a row....time for a change?

You use Iowa/Penn State as an example---yet I can point to Oklahoma/Texas---Texas owned Oklahoma for the better part of the last 5 years----and then OU won this year.

Michigan owned Michigan State---until Rich Rodriquez was hired, and they haven't beaten MSU since.

Notre Dame owned Navy for 45 years-----now Navy has won 2 of the last 3.

Besides the numerous examples-----college football rosters change and have turnover-----and in the case of USC/Cal----Lane Kiffin is now coaching SC. Kiffin has a career losing record, he was 7-6 at Tennessee, and now just 4-2 at USC.

I wouldn't put my money on any team coached by Lane Kiffin.

But, good luck with your play.
    Last edited by MartinBlank; 10-11-10 at 06:35 PM.

redrum
    Update your status
    redrum's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

usc is the play

Uncle Harv

Martin, thx and thats fair reasoning and I agree Kiffen is garbage. Turnover def happens and streaks do end. But minus Vareen, I just believe this is one of the least potent teams Cal has had in 5 years, and not likely to pull out a road win against a desperate USC team.

kalamity85
    kalamity85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 371

[quote=MartinBlank;6817361]Not sure you can use that line of reasoning.

Besides the numerous examples-----college football rosters change and have turnover-----and in the case of USC/Cal----Lane Kiffin is now coaching SC. Kiffin has a career losing record, he was 7-6 at Tennessee, and now just 4-2 at USC.

[quote]

those look like winning records to me? your last sentence just sounds like hatred toward the guy rather than non-objective handicapping. Kiffin brought USC's offense back from the doldrums of last year and the special teams is the best its been in some time (minus their field goal kicking woes). However the glaring weakness of this USC team is their defense. I do believe USC's run defense is SLOWLY getting better but their pass D is still horrible. USC went to Cal last year and blew them out with a much less potent offense. I believe kiffin will light them up again...

MartinBlank

[quote=kalamity85;6832921][quote=MartinBlank;6817361]Not sure you can use that line of reasoning.

those look like winning records to me? your last sentence just sounds like hatred toward the guy rather than non-objective handicapping. Kiffin brought USC's offense back from the doldrums of last year and the special teams is the best its been in some time (minus their field goal kicking woes). However the glaring weakness of this USC team is their defense. I do believe USC's run defense is SLOWLY getting better but their pass D is still horrible. USC went to Cal last year and blew them out with a much less potent offense. I believe kiffin will light them up again...
    What you are forgetting is Kiffin's Oakland Raiders record, which while I was including it---failed to mention his time in Oakland.

Kiffin was 5-15 in the NFL.

And in his career---he is 16-22.

16-22. Ummmm, yeah, that isn't impressive.

USC is averaging 476 yards per game this year compared to their 402 yards per game last year.

However. Let's be honest about the level of the defenses they have faced so far.

Not a single team in USC's 6 games is ranked in the top half of the 120 1-A teams in team defense. Sometimes you need to look closely at statistics because they don't always tell the entire story.

Washington State's defense is ranked dead last (120th) in Division 1-A.
    Washington's defense is ranked 104th.
    Hawaii's defense is ranked is ranked 75th.
    Stanford's defense is ranked 62nd
    Virginia's defense is ranked 63rd.
    Minnesota's defense is ranked 93rd.

Not exactly SEC defenses they are putting up their numbers against.

If statistics do impress you------well, then try this one on. Cal's defense is ranked 8th in yards allowed per game, and they are 18th in points allowed. Cal will clearly be the best defense USC has faced this year.

I don't hate Kiffin-----I just don't respect him. He hasn't done anything at any level of coaching.

This game is a no-play for me because I agree with many of you----Cal can be beat. But USC has had a really easy schedule to date---and they stand at 4-2. They haven't looked good in any game I have watched.

Best of luck to you guys who play it.

Calbears
    Calbears's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cal has made me some serious money this season (except in Reno) but I'm really torn with this game. I understand the history but if there is a year to turn it around, it would be this year. I just don't like Cal on the road and I will not bet against my alma mater so it's either a small play on Cal or no play at all for me.

I'm a Cal alum but I'll take a USC cheerleader anyday (with the outfit and no pom-poms)

zephyr
    zephyr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 581

Actually, I prefer a USC cheerleader with the pom-poms and no outfit.

Can't bet on USC, because they are not a good team, and I don't think it is yet clear how bad this might get in conference play. I might lean toward a play on Cal in this one, except that I got hammered when they got blown out at Nevada, and it will take me a while to trust them again, especially on the road. No play.