Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

HARRY'S WEEK #3 PLAYS (10-3 on season)

Boyz,

I usually pride myself on making coin playing college football totals, but this season my profits have come from my "sides" plays. I've hit both of my weekly "double plays" and am 10-3 on this young season. Add the following games to the mix.....

CALIFORNIA -3 at NEVADA

No doubt the Friday night crowd will be rocking in Reno, but I'm going with PAC-10 pedigree over the WAC. The Wolfpack is a team that has historically beaten up on lesser foes but has had a hard time stepping up in class. Cal is "up in class" to Nevada. Both teams have started the season strong offensively, each averaging over 50 ppg. Cal though has impressed defensively as well. Last week they pummeled Colorado, holding them to only 73 yds rushing on 42 attempts. That's a stone wall. The Bears pass efficiency defense is also stubborn, ranked 12th in the country, giving up only 116 ypg. Cal is the better team in this one.

MARYLAND +10 at WEST VIRGINIA

Can't quite figure out why the Mountaineers are laying double digits to a team that appears to be its equal. Maryland looked quite good defensively in their opening week victory over Navy. Then last week the offense flexed its muscle when they whomped lowly Morgan State. W. Va meanwhile failed to impress in their narrow escape against Marshall. The Mountaineers have struggled to cover as favorites since Coach Rodriquez fled to Michigan. Take the points.

OKLAHOMA STATE -6- against TULSA

Tulsa's defense has been horrible, giving up an average of 35 ppg, including 51 to East Carolina. Today they face an Ok St. team averaging over 53 ppg. The Cowboys are a team that likes to 'put the wood' to lesser foes at home, as evidenced by their 11-5 ATS record. The Golden Hurricanes pass defense has been horrible, giving up a staggering 377 ypg. Not good news against this Cowboy attack, averaging over 300 ypg of their own (74% completions.) Ok State will shred 'em.

AKRON +25 at KENTUCKY

Yes, I have been impressed with the Wildcats start, winning and covering their first two. No, I have not been impressed with Akron's start, losing at home to both Syracuse and Gardner-Webb(?!). But this is college football and there are ebbs and flows to the season. The ebb starts here for Kentucky, at least spreadwise, as they could get caught looking ahead to the Florida game next week. The game plan might be to just get the victory here and keep the boys healthy for bigger battles ahead. If Akron has any pride (and I'm hoping it's not Zip), they should be able to put up enough of a fight to keep it under the bloated number.

RICE +6- against NORTHWESTERN

This is just the type of out-of-conference game the Owls will be sky-high for. Why? Because they're not playing against Knucklehead U in this one, but rather against a school on a par academically with Rice. Question is whether Rice is on a par athletically with Northwestern? My guess is they will be, but I'm banking heavily on Northwestern's persistent inability to cover as the favorite and Rice's history as a pesky home dog.

BOISE STATE -23- at WYOMING (**Double Play**)

Only in college football can you have a week off and lose ground, but that's precisely what happened to the Broncos last week when they sat at home and watched a listless Virginia Tech team get stunned at home by James Madison. Boise State knows that it's only hope for a BCS crown is to win out.....and win big. It starts here against a Cowboy team still smarting from last week's tussle with the Longhorns. Tough spot for Wyoming. The Broncos are too fast and too focused. Lay it.

HOUSTON -3 at UCLA

The Cougars are a tough team, but not unbeatable. In order to beat them, however, one must outscore them. The Bruins are ill-suited to accomplish that. Case Keenum & Co. might be the most prolific offensive team in the country, averaging 61 ppg. Keenum has thrown 7 TDs, to add to the 100 he already had in his remarkable career. Surprisingly the Cougars have also displayed a sneaky good rush attack (7.2 ypc) to confound those teams that throw dime packages at them. The Bruins, meanwhile, are already in total disarray, particularly on offense where they're averaging only 11 ppg. They'll put up some points against this generous Houston defense, but it won't be nearly enough.

As always, best of luck.
    Harry

2010 college sides, 10-3
    2010 college totals, 7-8

NostraDanUS
    NostraDanUS's Avatar Become A Pro!

BOL, Harry, I'm with ya on all of them.

AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8856

I like it ...

TheGambler
    TheGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

I followed all of your totals but now i need to switch over to the sides it looks like!!

TheGambler
    TheGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Harry, have you posted your totals yet for Week 3?

Harry N. Lloyd

No totals posted yet. Will have a few up later tonight. Gonna go light this week in hopes of climbing back into the profit column. I think clearer when I'm playing with the House's money. As for the sides, so far so good.

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper
    sweetpete57@'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

what was that 10th win? based on your own numbers you were 3-2 LW giving you 9 wins

Harry N. Lloyd

Sweetpete, I've been playing one game per week as a double play. Last week it was Oregon over Tennessee. Two unit game for me. The rest are single units. This week Boise State is a double unit play, win or lose I'll count it as such.

harlee71
    harlee71's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 197

From one Harry to another....Nice Picks!

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Good looking card Harry. I really like Maryland pick.

GL

coloradobuff
    coloradobuff's Avatar Become A Pro!

like em all except tulsa...good luck

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

with you on Cal, and agree with your rationale pretty much everywhere else, particularly Akron and Maryland. excellent write-ups. love that your double play is contra Barkley's 5 grand Wyoming pick. BOL this weekend, Harry.

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper
    sweetpete57@'s Avatar Become A Pro!

gotcha. just thought i missed a pick. GL this week

JP10
    JP10's Avatar Become A Pro!

Love Cal tonight. GL Harry

UnderDog_Philip
    UnderDog_Philip's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 936

Nice write up Harry, I'm big on Cal tonite. GL.