The numbers the University of Kansas’ Todd Reesing put up the last two seasons were extravagant, if not obnoxious. He was the human calculator of college football quarterbacks.
Passing yards in a game were measured by the hundreds, career numbers gauged by the thousands. Oh, and he also led the Jayhawks to a victory in the 2008 Orange Bowl.
That’s pretty big-time stuff.
“He’s a great guy, a great quarterback,” said sophomore Kale Pick. “I learned some things from him and I just tried to pick up everything.”
If the sophomore picks up most things, North Dakota State could be in for a long day on Saturday in the season opener for both teams. Pick was named Reesing’s successor last month, but don’t look for similar throwing statistics.
Head coach Turner Gill said Pick beat out redshirt freshman Jordan Webb because of his leadership and his ability to both run and throw the football.
In seven games in a relief role last year, Pick threw just five passes but ran 14 times for 167 yards.
“He has a good arm, he’s a good athlete and he runs around,” said NDSU head coach Craig Bohl. “We need to make sure he doesn’t have all day to throw.”
Pick originally committed to the University of Arkansas out of high school in Dodge City, Kan. But when the Razorbacks had a coaching change – Houston Nutt resigned to take the job at Mississippi in 2007 – Pick changed his mind and signed with KU.
He was a three-star prospect in Rivals.com’s five-star ratings and was ranked the 13th best “dual-threat” quarterback recruit in 2008.
“Kale Pick has set himself apart,” Gill said. “He’s a guy who has taken care of the football and he’s a guy who can do some things with his legs and arm. And I loved his intangibles – his body language and how he ran the football team.”
Gill said no decision has been made if Webb will play