AdamL2424
    The Dynasty Continues......
    AdamL2424's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 136

Wisconsin -18

The more I read into this the more I like the game. I normally dont like to take road double digit favorites. Gonna make exceptions week 1. (USC)

1. John Clay is back. Do you really think UNLV will be able to stop this guy?

2. QB Tolzien is back. He had a solid year. %65 comp. 143 qb rating.

3. Experienced O'line

4. Experienced Secondary

UNLV

1. UNLV has a first year coach

2. Leading rusher ran for only 500yds last year

3. Inexperienced O'line = alot of pressure = turnovers

I think the badgers will be damn good this year with a solid running attack. I think the will come up 2nd in the Big 10 this year.

The DiB
    The DiB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 125

Wisconsin is clearly the better team, probably would easily win by 3+ tds at home. Only thing to look out for here is this game is a 10pm central start against a crappy team on the road. Could easily see Wisconsin sleep walking a little and win by 14-17. But on paper they definitely look good like you mentioned.

AdamL2424

Yea I could see that happening thanks for the input

hankcream
    hankcream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5458

Seems like a logical pick and their will probably be as many Badger fans as UNLV fans so not much of a home field advantage. The only thing the Badger need to be concerned about is the distractions in Vegas. GL

John Morrison
    fly eagles fly
    John Morrison's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

thx for the insight

butter23
    butter23's Avatar Become A Pro!

thanks for the info, here we go

kalamity85
    kalamity85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 371

Quote Originally Posted by The DiB View Post
    Wisconsin is clearly the better team, probably would easily win by 3+ tds at home. Only thing to look out for here is this game is a 10pm central start against a crappy team on the road. Could easily see Wisconsin sleep walking a little and win by 14-17. But on paper they definitely look good like you mentioned.
    can a team really sleep walk through the very first game of the season?

Sean81
    Sean81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 756

I think the line is 20 now btw. UNLV has a history of playing the Badgers tough, plus the Rebels return 8 starters from a pretty good offense. I think they will be much more competitive in the MWC than what most people are projecting. I could see the Wiscy offense being a little rusty considering its the first game of the year in a different climate. I would rather play the Under 58.5 myself.

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

This could win, but Wisconsin under Bielema has had a history of unerachieving in Non-Conference..

LETS SEE..

2007 @ UNLV down by 7 in 2nd half, win in the final 2 minutes.

2007 The Citadel runs up 31 in Madison, only win by 2 TD

2008 Marshall goes up 14-0 in Madison

2008 @ Fresno, win by 3, FSU misses 5 FGs/PTs

2008 Cal Poly...need OT and missed FG and PT to win by 1......

2009 Fresno, need 2OT to win by 3

Now last year, they killed Hawaii on the road, but it was late in season, and a similar thing could happen here, but it just seems like whenever Wisconsin gets respect they play down, and I mean DOWN (08 loss @ Mich go on to lose 4 in a row, play terrible against inferior teams above, etc.).

Part of me says they get over their underachieving/non-conference start slow hump, but idk..

fishmonger
    Very sharp square
    fishmonger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

This is the only big fav that I like in week one. UNLV has lost their best receiver, Ryan Wolfe, and a back field that wasn't that good last year. Clayton and payne will be the only offense they have. UNLV run d was horrible and have lost 4 of their front 7. Three of them on the d-line. Wisconsin will pound the football all night against this team.

The only weak spot I can see UNLV exploiting would be the secondary of wisconsin. If clayton and payne can open them up it could be a two possession game. Wisconsin will control the clock and try to throw them off their offensive rhythm. And keeping the possessions down and running the clock will keep the score down. I can also see a back door cover from the rebels. But wisconsin will wear down that defense and hopefully blow them out. I just wish i got it at -14 when the line first came out. BUT if the line moves past 21 I would consider the rebels.

AdamL2424

Nice insight fish

oiler
    oiler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2500

Quote Originally Posted by Sunde91 View Post
    This could win, but Wisconsin under Bielema has had a history of unerachieving in Non-Conference..

LETS SEE..

2007 @ UNLV down by 7 in 2nd half, win in the final 2 minutes.

2007 The Citadel runs up 31 in Madison, only win by 2 TD

2008 Marshall goes up 14-0 in Madison

2008 @ Fresno, win by 3, FSU misses 5 FGs/PTs

2008 Cal Poly...need OT and missed FG and PT to win by 1......

2009 Fresno, need 2OT to win by 3

Now last year, they killed Hawaii on the road, but it was late in season, and a similar thing could happen here, but it just seems like whenever Wisconsin gets respect they play down, and I mean DOWN (08 loss @ Mich go on to lose 4 in a row, play terrible against inferior teams above, etc.).

Part of me says they get over their underachieving/non-conference start slow hump, but idk..
    im not a big fan of dounle digit road teams especially big ten teams,they seem to slow down when they get a lead and usallly they barely hang on to win,but big ten suppose to have a good conference this year so i guess we would see,but dont like giving up the points on the road in the opener

The DiB
    The DiB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 125

Quote Originally Posted by kalamity85 View Post
    can a team really sleep walk through the very first game of the season?
    Sure. Look at Iowa last year. Needed to block 2 field goals at the end to escape with a 1 point victory at home against UNI. Blew out Iowa State the week later. Not saying it will definitely happen to Wisconsin, just something to consider given the time zones and the opponent. Some teams just take a while to get going, look at what Sunde brought up

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

UNLV is picked to finish in the lower echelons of the MWC. They return 4 starters from a team that was ranked 115th overall defensively last season. They make keep it interesting for a half, but I think Wisky blows them out in the 2nd half. The Vegas line opened at 17. Now it is up to 19.5. Offshore, the line is between 19-20.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 08-07-10 at 05:31 PM.

iwantcougars
    iwantcougars's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

i'll be in wisconsin first half, big ten teams usually sleep with big leads vs non-conf games, also this will be like a preseason game for them, so if bhy 4th quarter they have a big led, expect to swap some players to gain game experience

steve18
    steve18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 848

This is one of those games where Wisconsin should cover, but they might win by 17. You just never know. I would layoff.

gr1624
    gr1624's Avatar Become A Pro!

As a lifelong Badger fan I would not touch this game. Wisconsin tends to play to the level of it's competition and never seems to bury someone when they have them down. A first half play may be an option if you want to play the game but my suggestion is to stay away.

balt999
    balt999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

I think Wisconsin will roll...the better bet is probably UNLV first half