BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

How About This Season Ending Scenario?

The BCS could find itself in one major mess at the end of this season. Here is a senario that could play out.

Both Boise State and TCU go undefeated, and the two future MWC teams (Boise moves over next season) are the ONLY two teams that go undefeated. The following teams lose one game, and win their conference championships.

ACC. North Carolina
    Big East. West Virginia
    Big Ten. Ohio State
    Big 12. Nebraska
    Pac 10. Oregon
    SEC. Alabama

So what we have is two NON-BCS teams undefeated, and 6 BCS teams with one loss. The question is who goes into the Championship game? Does the BCS make a mockery out of itself, by inviting the two non-BCS, soon to be MWC teams back to Glendale for a encore presentation of last years Fiesta Bowl? Do they simply ignore both of those teams and pick two BCS teams, opening the door for a massie amount of criticizm, and who knows what else, that may even involve the Federal Government? Do they choose one non-BCS team and one BCS team,opening the door to even more criticizm?

Now the chances of this happening are long, at best, but the chances of both Boise State and TCU going undefeated, and at least two other BCS teams losing only one game and winning their conference are very real. What would you do guys? Comments please.

Law-Byrnes
    Law-Byrnes's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think if that happened there would be absolutely no winning situation no matter who they picked. Either way they would get crushed with criticism. I guess they would pick Alabama and Ohio State because of their conferences but I'm really not sure.

bamaatlsu
    bamaatlsu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5310

Bigdaddy who do you mean when you say 'the BCS'? It would really be the Coaches Pollsters that would be making a decision, right? The BCS formula is in place, the only ones making any kind of decision would be the coaches voting in the coaches' poll--unless I totally don't understand how it works. I think the coaches would pick a 1-loss bama and Boise State, as long as Boise State was dominant down the stretch unlike last year.

El Degeneroso
    El Degeneroso's Avatar Become A Pro!

Here are my thoughts. A one loss SEC champ will get in over either TCU or Boise State, the SEC (deservedly based on performance) will get the benefit of the doubt in the above scenario. However, I think that there are a lot of one loss BCS teams which will not get in over Boise St. In fact, I would say that an undefeated Boise gets in over any one loss team outside of the SEC. Boise will start the season #3 at the lowest, and if undefeated they will, in all likelihood, finish at #2 or #1 in the polls (Harris and coaches). This will likely be enough to get them in.

Outhouse Tim
    Outhouse Tim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4454

The SEC winner would get in with one overall loss. So would the Big 10 winner because that conference has major clout. I'm not sure about Nebraska, but if either Oklahoma or Texas was the champ with just 1 loss they would get in. I do not think the Pac 10, ACC or Big East Champs would get in with 1 loss should TCU/Boise go 24-0. If would create quite a media and fan frenzy if your scenario came true.

The DiB
    The DiB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 125

I really think it matters when those teams lose that one game. Early losses don't hurt nearly as badly as season ending losses. If all those teams lose late, I can't see why Boise and TCU won't be in the BCS championship game. But if Bama loses one early game, say @ South Carolina, then go on to win the SEC championship, I think that'll be enough time to get back on top.

SportsPicks3434
    SportsPicks3434's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    The BCS could find itself in one major mess at the end of this season. Here is a senario that could play out.

Both Boise State and TCU go undefeated, and the two future MWC teams (Boise moves over next season) are the ONLY two teams that go undefeated. The following teams lose one game, and win their conference championships.

ACC. North Carolina
    Big East. West Virginia
    Big Ten. Ohio State
    Big 12. Nebraska
    Pac 10. Oregon
    SEC. Alabama

So what we have is two NON-BCS teams undefeated, and 6 BCS teams with one loss. The question is who goes into the Championship game? Does the BCS make a mockery out of itself, by inviting the two non-BCS, soon to be MWC teams back to Glendale for a encore presentation of last years Fiesta Bowl? Do they simply ignore both of those teams and pick two BCS teams, opening the door for a massie amount of criticizm, and who knows what else, that may even involve the Federal Government? Do they choose one non-BCS team and one BCS team,opening the door to even more criticizm?

Now the chances of this happening are long, at best, but the chances of both Boise State and TCU going undefeated, and at least two other BCS teams losing only one game and winning their conference are very real. What would you do guys? Comments please.
    If Boise is undefeated this season they will be ranked in the top 2 with the BCS. Thats a no brainer.

This is a thread that would have made sense to post a few years ago. We all know the point of this thread is NOT the case anymore with the success Boise has had the previous 3-5 seasons.

Flying Dutchman
    Floggings continue until morale improves
    Flying Dutchman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 759

I, for one, would love it.

Bust up the BCS, it would.

stingray14
    My bookie thinks I'm a PRO
    stingray14's Avatar Become A Pro!

WOW what a thought

Law-Byrnes
    Law-Byrnes's Avatar Become A Pro!

It would definitely lead to them restructuring the format in the future.

clowncar
    clowncar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

It depends where TCU and Boise ST are ranked when the bcs first comes out and then on who the one loss teams in the bcs conferences are.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Quote Originally Posted by SportsPicks3434 View Post
    If Boise is undefeated this season they will be ranked in the top 2 with the BCS. Thats a no brainer.

This is a thread that would have made sense to post a few years ago. We all know the point of this thread is NOT the case anymore with the success Boise has had the previous 3-5 seasons.
    I agree with you in regards to Boise State, but what do you do with TCU, who would have completed their second undefeated regular season in a row? What happens if TCU beats Oregon State by 17, and Boise defeats them by 7?

El Degeneroso
    El Degeneroso's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    I agree with you in regards to Boise State, but what do you do with TCU, who would have completed their second undefeated regular season in a row? What happens if TCU beats Oregon State by 17, and Boise defeats them by 7?
    I think what will help Boise is having that marquee early game against Virginia Tech on their resume (if they win). Looking at TCU's schedule, of course they play in a stronger conference than Boise, but they don't have that 'big name' team on there like Boise does with V Tech.

luckyutah
    luckyutah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2565

assuming the losses don't come in the final game of the season and/or in a conference championship game, the breakdown would likely go as follows:

1. 1 loss Alabama
    2. undefeated Boise St.
    3. 1 loss Ohio State
    4. undefeated TCU
    5. 1 loss Nebraska
    6. 1 loss Oregon
    7. 1 loss North Carolina
    8. 1 loss West Virginia

'Bama would play Boise in the BCS championship. I don't think TCU's non-conference scheule is tough enough to pass a 1 loss Ohio State in the minds of the coaches (assuming OSU loses a tough game to wisky) but if OSU were to lose later in the year to Penn St. or Iowa, the coaches might bump an undefeated TCU ahead of them.