pinnacle212
    pinnacle212's Avatar Become A Pro!

Interest Peaker UCONN vs MICHIGAN

The UCONN football program can be summed up in a few words. A football program that plays decent football in the inferior Big East. They play heart/pride and if not taking seriously will eat any cappers lunch money.

Michigan has some of the best talent the country. They are considered the old guard of college football. They started the season hot as hell (5-2) but went stone cold at 0-5 at the end.

UCONN Offense will be able to run the ball this year. They have four starters returning on the offensive line. They will miss Andre Dixon (1100/4.6ypc), Jordan Todman (1188,5.1ypc) should keep the running game consistent. Robert Frey is inexperienced but consistent run blocking should allow him to contribute. The UCONN passing game will be without Marcus Easley 48 rec 900yds 18.6ypr 8 TDs. On the other hand Kashif Moore should have no problem filling his shoes showing tremendous promise on the field last year. This is a running team they offensive line will afford them time to do both. The WRs need to make the catches. The offense should be pretty much the same as last year.

Key Players: If Roberty Frey cannot produce in the running game, look for possible injuries later in the season from Todman. Todman and Dixon combined for 2300 yards.

Michigan Defense: Michigan allowed 171+ rushing yards per game in 2009. The defensive line of Michigan will be the key to the UCONN O vs Michigan D. I feel the secondary will be solid. In the game vs UCONN if the run is taking over and they get burned with to many in the box.

Brandon Graham is gone with his 10.5 sacks but hey he is a pass rush guy. Michigan needs serious inside guys NT Mike Marting should be a solid inside presence. Ryan Van Bergeb should be an ok DE. All the other guys on the DE will be untested. Michigan is moving to a 3-3-5 which is traditonally week against the run.

There seems to be a big question mark around the defensive line of Michigan. Feel free to chime in if you know something I dont.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

I think Michigan's secondary is anything at all but solid. Not with two Fresnmen and two Sophs starting. Michigan's defensive success or failure is going to rest on the shoulders of their LB's. I also do not see UConn's Frey making much of an impact on offense. RB's Toddman and Dixon are the key, though do not be suprised if UConn throws the ball more than you may think.

The DiB
    The DiB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 125

Uconn proved last year they can hang around with anybody on their schedule. Wouldn't surpise me if they won at michigan week one.

pinnacle212

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    I think Michigan's secondary is anything at all but solid. Not with two Fresnmen and two Sophs starting. Michigan's defensive success or failure is going to rest on the shoulders of their LB's. I also do not see UConn's Frey making much of an impact on offense. RB's Toddman and Dixon are the key, though do not be suprised if UConn throws the ball more than you may think.
    I think that most of the potential problem you have in the secondary can be attributed to giving up 173 yards a game. When you cant stop the run and have to put 8 in the box, You expose your secondary. They had a good pass rusher but what they really needed was a good DT. If you watch a couple of plays in the spring game, you cant count on both hands how many times they loose outside containment.

UCONN secondary is garbage they are moving LBs to Free safety for goodness sake. They shredded their first team secondary in the Spring game. BigDaddyH correct me if wrong but I though Andre Dixon was gone.

I think they take UCONN at home. I just think it will be more of the same against running teams if they cant turn it around on the DL

pinnacle212

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    I think Michigan's secondary is anything at all but solid. Not with two Fresnmen and two Sophs starting. Michigan's defensive success or failure is going to rest on the shoulders of their LB's. I also do not see UConn's Frey making much of an impact on offense. RB's Toddman and Dixon are the key , though do not be suprised if UConn throws the ball more than you may think.
    He is at the Colts

john2153
    john2153's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8329

Take the over in this game. Uconn's offense improved 1000% from where it was at the beginning to the end of last season. And it should be even better this year in the 2nd year of the new offensive system. They should be able to move the ball and score easily against Michigan. Like a previous poster mentioned, the Uconn secondary(especially the safeties) looked awful in the spring game. Michigan should have success through the air. So I expect a high scoring, close game. And about Dixon, he graduated and is now playing with the Hartford Colonials of the UFL. Jordan Todman is the starter, with Robbie Frey as the backup, so he will get some playing time.

I'll put a small bet on the ML, as I do think Uconn has a great chance to win this game, but I think over is the best bet.

pinnacle212

Michigan has all the offseason to prep for this game. They came out hot last year albeit against inferior competion. You have that one Notre Dame win in there. Its at the Big House I think they take.

UCONN Like said earlier if RB Robert Frey is not contributing look for wear and tear on Todman.

Michigan I will be watching this game close to see how the 3-3-5 takes hold. If they cannot stop the run, its going to be a long season. This defense is traditionally weak against the run. If they have trouble against the UCONN run. It will be good information for how they will fare vs the power running teams.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

My bad about Dixon. Sorry guys. As far as his game is concerned, I do not touch it. UConn may have been playing over their heads last season because of the Howard thing. Michigan may be looking ahead to Notre Dame. I like the potential of Michigan's offense, but they have never had a defense, and a 3-3-5 is not going to work. UConn's secondary is very green. So this is definately a pass for me. As far as the total is concerned, I will wait and see what the number is.

Joe_Shabadoo
    Joe_Shabadoo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1184

This game has piqued my interest as well, and, in my opinion, U-CONN offers significant value here.

The DiB

For those questioning Uconn's secondary, does Forcier or Denard Robinson honestly scare you throwing the ball?

The way Uconn always hangs around with that power running game (Michigan gave up 172 yards on the ground a game last year) makes the +3 look very tempting.

Joe_Shabadoo

Quote Originally Posted by The DiB View Post
    For those questioning Uconn's secondary, does Forcier or Denard Robinson honestly scare you throwing the ball?

The way Uconn always hangs around with that power running game (Michigan gave up 172 yards on the ground a game last year) makes the +3 look very tempting.
    I think it's still at '4' right now. I was just thinking that it wouldn't be surprising at all if it was at '3' or even '2.5' by game-time.

The DiB

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Shabadoo View Post
    I think it's still at '4' right now. I was just thinking that it wouldn't be surprising at all if it was at '3' or even '2.5' by game-time.
    Honestly could be, I haven't seen much on lines besides the ones golden nugget put out. Saw them at +3.

Where'd you get 4 from?

Joe_Shabadoo

Quote Originally Posted by The DiB View Post

Honestly could be, I haven't seen much on lines besides the ones golden nugget put out. Saw them at +3.

Where'd you get 4 from?
    It was listed at '4' on 5-dimes two days ago.

bacon22
    bacon22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1279

Uconn can hang around with anyone. Rich Rod has his back to the wall. What a way to start the football year.

AdamL2424
    The Dynasty Continues......
    AdamL2424's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 136

I actually think DJ Shoemate "the transfer from SC" is gonna be the starter at RB. He didnt play much at SC he 2nd string fullback.

El Degeneroso
    El Degeneroso's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just looking at this game as a fan (a Buckeye fan at that) it has a ton of intrigue. Michigan has played well in the non conference games under RR but has been garbage within the Big 10. UConn is one of the favorites in the Big East coming into the season, and I like Edsall as a coach. I've looked at this game a lot and have gone back and forth, so ultimately its looking like a no play at this point. If pressed, I would lean towards Michigan, based on home field and the fact that this game carries a lot of urgency with it, as a loss really puts RR on the hot seat.

Law-Byrnes
    Law-Byrnes's Avatar Become A Pro!

Rich Rod was all over Uconn when he was in the Big East. Shouldn't be a tough game for him to prepare his team for.

xyzky
    xyzky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Right now, I believe the number is spot on...With that said, I will probably have UCONN involved in a small dog ML parlay for the fun of it...

pinnacle212

I see this line -2.5 at some places. It starting to scare me off my lean of Michigan.

john2153
    john2153's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8329

Shoemate will not be the "starter", Todman will be, but I think Shoemate he will play a big role in the offense as Uconn loves to use 2 running backs. Last season Todman and Dixon both went for over 1000 yds.

escoot
    escoot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 342

I think it comes down to how much stock you put into Michigan making the leap this year. There are now 15 returning starters in place recruited to play his system. There is a direct correlation between recruiting ranks and Michigan is 12th the last 5 years according to footballoutsiders.com. There is talent that has to show through eventually

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

The line is Michigan -3 in Vegas, -2.5 offshore. The total is 53.5. Pass. Too much uncertainly at Michigan. They do not even know who their starting QB is yet. Forcier has been doging it. Robinson still can't hit Lake Michigan with a pass.

angelodebo
    angelodebo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2429

This is a huge game for both teams. Like a wrote in another thread, "this could be UConn's best team ever". Their RB Todman is a stud and their returning O-Line is solid as a rock. If the line stays at -3 or more I really like UConn. I think this game is going to come down to a field goal.