The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Bob Stoops...overrated big game coach?

I'm gonna start fading him in big bowls. LSU, Boise, now West Virginia...When was it, like '99, that he won a big BCS game? I heard all of this talk about how he was such a great big game coach. I gave him the benefit of the doubt til now. Overrated IMO. Whether OU comes back and wins or not, he's been getting outcoach by interim coaches.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Last year it was a first year coach from the WAC conference who outcoached Stoops....this year, an interm coach found a way to expose Oklahoma pretty badly.

Regardless of Stoops' bowl performance (4 bad games in a row: LSU, USC, Boise State, and WVU), I still think he is one of the better coaches in the country although some serious red flags should be raised at this point. One thing is he just might not be a very good motivator. His teams keep coming out flat in these bowl games. All 4 of those BCS games he's lost now in a row, OU was the favorite.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

He's also sensitive to criticism and not a good loser, so his act might not play well in the NFL either, where you really need a thick skin.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

0-4 in BCS bowls is an eye-opening stat, buy saying you're going to blindly fade Stoops in bowl games is a mistake IMO. Stoops is still a top 5 coach, and while this isn't an excuse for his team's performance against WVU last night, this particular OU squad was/is a year away from being a legit national title contender - freshman QB, best RB a freshman (Demarco Murray, who they could've use last night. Unless he could tackle likely wouldn't have changed the outcome, however). It's also a defense that played last night without its best corner (injury) and DT (suspension). WVU dominated, but I wouldn't go so far as to recommend fading Stoops. You can count on one hand the number of college coaches better than Bob Stoops.

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Just a absolutely horrible coaching job from Stoops last night! You could tell from the first few series who was ready to play and it wasn't OU! Just a TON of stupid penalties, blindly rushing Pat White with no thoughts of staying in their rush lanes...ALL NIGHT! Where was the team that beat Missouri twice last night? Bradford finally looked like a freshman last night which didn't help but I'm giving the other team 2 check marks under coaching advantage in a big game against Stoops until proven otherwise!

maritime
    maritime's Avatar Become A Pro!

They score their first 2 drives of the 2nd half, take the momentum back, cut the lead to 5 points, and their defense gets 2 three-and-outs to start the half. Obviously a great time for an onside kick. Dumbass.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I'm starting to think Stoops is a horrible in-game coach who just recruits good.

His bowl record should be noted when discussing him. Oklahoma sucks in bowls and it's not because they don't have the players.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

imgv,

I am thinking that also. He does a good job of recruiting well but when it comes to big games in the BCS he doesn't do so well. His record is very good from what I see.

guitarjosh
    guitarjosh's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9448

Quote Originally Posted by imgv94 View Post
    I'm starting to think Stoops is a horrible in-game coach who just recruits good.

His bowl record should be noted when discussing him. Oklahoma sucks in bowls and it's not because they don't have the players.
    I do think he is an awful in-game coach, but he did win it all in 2000 with John Blake's recruits.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by guitarjosh View Post
    I do think he is an awful in-game coach, but he did win it all in 2000 with John Blake's recruits.
    He also won the championship against another poor big game coach. Bobby Bowden.

prickbeater101
    prickbeater101's Avatar Become A Pro!

overrated in bowls...no doubt. a mediocre coach in the SEC at best

stump
    stump's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

Definetly an overrated coach period! He is still living off one year, you guys are right that he is a good recruiter, who hates criticism.