Outhouse Tim
    Outhouse Tim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4454

First Post: First team to move to another conference: It could be (see inside)

Boise State to the Mountain West.

With the Big 10, Pac 10 etc. discussing what drastic changes to make (if any), the Mountain West will fire the first shot. Boise will apply to move to the Mtn. West, and the vote could come as early as next week.

A long time ago San Diego State was an attractive team in an attractive city to move on. They blew that opportunity by going sideways in football (poor coaching decisions, etc.). Now Utah and BYU are hoping to move into a BCS conference. Whether they go or not, (people are lukewarm on BYU) this conference is making a preemptive move to keep football at a high level. Should all teams remain, the Mountain West will likely meet the requirements for an automatic BCS bid.

It looks like if the deal goes through, Boise could start play in conference in 2011.

rwsmith
    rwsmith's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have fell behind on keeping up with the expansion discussion the past month or so...What are the odds that the pac 10 or big 10 will actually expand.. and if so when are the expansions said to be put into place?

Outhouse Tim

Pac 10 will make decisions on expansion before then end of 2010. They have a TV contract that is going to be on the table and the expiring one is light years behind the Big 10's and SEC's in money generated. Ideally they either move to 12 teams and hold a ($$$) North vs. South Championship game, or petition the NCAA to allow for a championship game with less than 12 teams.

I rate Pac 10 expansion as probably yes, 60-40. The Big 10 would expand immediately if Notre Dame ever said yes, and would expand almost as fast if Texas ever said yes. I rate their expansion as 30-70 for now. They want Nebraska and others. I think they should take Pittsburgh to get Penn State a natural rivalry. The Pac 10 may go after Colorado (and Texas), and if they had to, Utah. The SEC wants to stay put, but should something happen they would consider Florida State and even Clemson. The Big 12 hopes this all blows over. The Big East hopes to stay alive.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

As I previously stated in the other site, Utah and Colorado look like solid prospects to go to the Pac 10. That means that the Big 12 will take TCU. If the Big 10 grabs Mizzou, the Big 12 takes Houston. If the Big 12 loses three teams, BYU joins the Big 12 discussion. Either way, the MWC is not going to gain much if they do not expand to 12 teams and force the Big East's hand.

Kustac
    Kustac's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Outhouse Tim View Post
    Pac 10 will make decisions on expansion before then end of 2010. They have a TV contract that is going to be on the table and the expiring one is light years behind the Big 10's and SEC's in money generated. Ideally they either move to 12 teams and hold a ($$$) North vs. South Championship game, or petition the NCAA to allow for a championship game with less than 12 teams. I rate Pac 10 expansion as probably yes, 60-40. The Big 10 would expand immediately if Notre Dame ever said yes, and would expand almost as fast if Texas ever said yes. I rate their expansion as 30-70 for now. They want Nebraska and others. I think they should take Pittsburgh to get Penn State a natural rivalry. The Pac 10 may go after Colorado (and Texas), and if they had to, Utah. The SEC wants to stay put, but should something happen they would consider Florida State and even Clemson. The Big 12 hopes this all blows over. The Big East hopes to stay alive.
    I haven't been following this expansion much either, but Texas to the Big 10??? is that seriously being considered by anyone besides the Big 10?

Cappy
    Cappy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 880

I'd like to see the big 10 pick up a couple more solid teams.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

All the Big 10 needs is one team, and that could be Mizzou, Rutgers, Pitt, or Nebraska. Notre Dame and Texas are dreams at this point, and will not happen. The Pac 10 will also expand to 12 teams, so we will have 5 12 team BCS Conferences. The fate of the Big East will then come into play. They will either have to expand, or lose their BCS Rating.

jwbama23
    LSUCKS
    jwbama23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

Let all of those conferences move expand as much as they want just leave my SEC alone please.......unless they want to add Southern Miss.....dont know why but I have always liked watching them play

rwsmith

I agree 12 is plenty for all of the conferences...i like the sounds of 5 12 team bcs conferences...would this mean that the pac 10 would be moving toward a conference championship game?

Outhouse Tim

Nothing etched in stone, but it looks like all systes go for Boise to move into the MWC. It's a guessing game after that. The Pacific 10 will say yes or no to expansion before the Big 10 is ready to make a move. If the Pac 10 stays put then the MWC will keep its 10 teams for now. If not, then down the road look for them to reset at 8, losing Utah and later, TCU. If the MWC wants to get up to 10 it unfortunately will not be able to replace Utah/TCU with highly rated football programs.

As for the Big 12, they may not be affected if a) the Pac 10 stays at 10, and b) when the Big 10 expands it does so by adding Pittsburgh, or someone outside of the Big 12. It's up to the Pac 10 to make the next move.

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

MWC expanding to 12 teams and adding a championship game may give them BCS status. however, Pac-10 will take at least one team, so they would need to raid WAC again with lower rated teams (Hawaii?), so the BCS berth is a pipe dream.

goblue12
    goblue12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 453

It would be a sight to see if the Pac-10 invited Colorado and only Colorado.

Message board meltdowns would be epic.

redrum
    Update your status
    redrum's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

mountain west gets boise st they r better than the big east

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

It would appear right now as if the NWC will take Boise State, to expand to 10 teams, and then wait to see if the Pac 10 swallows up the Big 12, leaving schools that do not get invited to the Pac 10 or Big 10 (both Kansas schools, Iowa State, Baylor, and possibly Nebreaka and Mizzou) open to an invite to join the MWC.

If the Pac 10 and Big 10 do expand to 16 teams, the MWC could also expand to16 teams by taking the remaining Big 12 teams and picking up other WAC teams. They could become the 5th BCS Conference, with the Pac-10, Big 10, SEC, and what would be a merger of the ACC-Big East.

rwsmith

wow it is really going to be a shake up when all of this starts happening

mik5058
    mik5058's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4654

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    mountain west gets boise st they r better than the big east
    They were already better. If they get Boise State it's not even close. The MWC deserves an automatic bid more so than the Big East. That conference is a joke.

rwsmith

when should we start hearing any decisions?

CBH123
    CBH123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192

Totally agree that the Mtn. West deserves an automatic bid. They should re-evaluate every two years or something.

BadNina
    I did troubles!!
    BadNina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13869

I heard last night that now the MW is holding off on adding Boise St and waiting to see what happens when the others start. I think most conferences are just waiting for the first domino to fall. And when it does....its gonna be fun.