bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Texas A&M talks buyout with Franchione

I had a feeling this one was coming after that booster newsletter mess. I think it's probably best for both parties to part ways after "coach Fran" ruined the A&M program.

Source says Texas A&M, Franchione discussing settlement

Dennis Franchione's days as the head coach at Texas A&M appear to be numbered.

Texas A&M is talking about buying out Franchione's contract, sources have told ESPN college football analyst Andre Ware.

Franchione has been in hot water with the university for a newsletter he was sending out to donors willing to pay $1,200 for inside information. In mid-October, Texas A&M officials admonished Franchione for his secretive, for-pay newsletter and said the embarrassing episode would be a factor in deciding whether he returns next season.

The school said it would report the results of an internal investigation to the NCAA because of possible rules violations, and Franchione was ordered to shut down his Web site, CoachFran.com. He also will receive a "letter of admonishment."

"The Aggies are embarrassed right now," athletic director Bob Byrne said in October. "This has been a very unfortunate incident we do not want to experience again."

Franchione, who came to Texas A&M from Alabama in 2003. He's 31-27 overall with the Aggies. He also coached at TCU and New Mexico.

Texas A&M is reportedly researching whether Franchione violated his contract with the income he received from the newsletter. If he is found in violation of the contract, the Aggies may not have to pay the coach anything upon firing him.

Franchione's contract pays him $2 million per season and runs through 2012. A buyout will be $141,667 per month for the remainder of the contract, or about $8 million. Ware reported Monday that Texas A&M is looking for a buyout in the $2 million range.

Ware reported that Texas A&M wants to talk to Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville for a potential vacancy. He reported that the school is working with Chuck Neinas, who runs a consulting firm specializing in hiring coaches.

Texas A&M is 6-4 this season heading into a game at Missouri on Saturday.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

This doesn't surprise me, I think he wasn't a very good coach anyways.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Coach Fran and Callihan can start a "Dead Man Walking" Club!

mv09
    mv09's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2630

WOOHOOO

Nothing would make me happier than getting that bum out of here.

and FWIW, take Missouri -18. Fran has just given up. Any coach with a video tape can gameplan A&M to 0 pts due to Fran and his poor coaching.
    0 pts vs Miami until trash time
    0 pts vs TX. Tech after an opening drive TD
    0 pts vs OU until trash time
    0 pts vs Kansas until the 2nd half

That plus a very poor defense. Once again, this could get ugly.