JoshW
    JoshW's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kansas better than USC and Florida?

Computers say KU better than USC, Florida
    By Ryan Wood

Monday, October 15, 2007

The humans have spoken all year long. Now, the computers are thinking that Kansas University’s football team is pretty good, too.

The first Bowl Championship Series standings were released Sunday, with Kansas ranking a flashy 13th in the nation.

The BCS standings are a complex equation that factors in two major polls — the USA Today poll and the Harris Interactive poll — and six computer rankings that take into account a number of complicated factors such as schedule strength.

The human polls, which count for two-thirds of the equation, collectively ranked KU 15th.

The computers, the other third, have the Jayhawks tied for eighth.

But until one understands the complex mathematical components involved — and there are plenty — knowing that KU’s average is 0.5170 in the first BCS standings probably doesn’t make Jayhawk fans do a cartwheel.

But ranking 13th might. And ranking one spot ahead Southern California, two ahead of Florida and three ahead of rival Missouri definitely will.

KU coach Mark Mangino didn’t hear about the BCS standings until a reporter asked him Sunday afternoon. Even after the fact, he didn’t put down the phone to do a cartwheel of his own.

“As I’ve said before,” Mangino responded, “I’m really focused on what the ranking would be at the end of the season.”

Until then, everybody else will be keeping close track. Besides the lofty placement in the BCS formula, the Jayhawks are ranked 15th this week in the three major polls — the Associated Press, the USA Today and the Harris polls — following their 58-10 drubbing of Baylor on Saturday.

Of course, the human-picked polls don’t mean a hill of beans compared to the big daddy. The BCS poll determines which two teams play in the BCS National Championship game Jan. 7 in New Orleans. It also has a hand in figuring out who plays in the four BCS bowls — Fiesta, Rose, Sugar and Orange — after conference champions take their spots.

But six regular-season games — including Saturday’s showdown at Colorado —separate the Jayhawks from postseason dreams of any sort. So Mangino is keeping his head out of the clouds for now, even if it’s an almighty computer passing out some significant midseason praise.

“I’m not thinking about what polls are better or have more clout,” Mangino said. “We appreciate anybody that’s recognizing the way we’ve played to this point. But there’s not really a whole lot to jump up and down about.”

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2007/o...poll/?football

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

USC is very overrated

USC might be -2 over kansas on a neutral field

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1965

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    USC is very overrated

USC might be -2 over kansas on a neutral field
    Is this what the line should be or what the book would make it? Coach, I think your arguement is pretty thin that it SHOULD be this but I don't think there is anyway a book, wanting balanced action, would ever set this game at this line...