bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Irish QB Jones enrolls at Northern Illinois

Why Northern Illinois though

Source: Irish quarterback Jones enrolls at Northern Illinois

Notre Dame quarterback Demetrius Jones has enrolled at Northern Illinois and intends to play there next season, according to a source familiar with the situation.

Jones started Notre Dame's season opener against Georgia Tech, but was pulled before the end of the first half and had not played since. He did not join Notre Dame on its road trip to Michigan this weekend.

Friday, Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis confirmed that Jones had decided not to make the team's bus trip to Michigan. "I have not spoken to Demetrius and can only say that he missed the team bus. Any additional comment would be without all the facts," Weis said in a statement.

Against Georgia Tech, Jones was 1-of-3 passing for 4 yards and ran the ball 12 times for 28 yards. Four of the six drives he led ended in three-and-outs, and he fumbled the ball away on the other two possessions. Freshman Jimmy Clausen replaced Jones as Notre Dame's starter for last week's game at Penn State.

The departure is the second for a Notre Dame quarterback since this spring. Zach Frazer, who was eliminated from contention for the starting job after spring practice, transferred to Connecticut.

rugbybdyb
    rugbybdyb's Avatar Become A Pro!

because he can actually start there.....What a cry baby....Just try harder, work harder and get your spot back...my god....you had a bad game get over it.

bigboydan

He could probably start at a few other schools as well sir. Thats why I was rather surprised why he went there was all.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Well all the hype is surrounding jimmy clausen so his fate was sealed. No need to stay there. He's doing the right thing. And who cares what university you go to as long as you can play.

If you are good, scouts will fiind you....just ask Steve McNair, Tony Romo, and Kurt Warner.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah, with Nicholson being a senior, he probably feels he can step in next year and play right away...very much a political/ youth movement issue at Notre Dame...

bigboydan

Looks like we finally got the real scoop on this one guys.

Now at Northern Illinois, Jones said he was misled by Weis

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Demetrius Jones, the Notre Dame quarterback who lost the starting position after a poor performance in the season opener, expects to play next season at Northern Illinois following his quick decision to transfer.

Jones surprised Notre Dame's coaches by not showing up Friday for the bus trip for the team's game at Michigan.

Jones said he was stung by coach Charlie Weis' comments that freshman Jimmy Clausen had been the team's top quarterback but was not named the opening game starter as he was recovering from surgery to remove a bone spur from his throwing elbow.

"When I heard Jimmy was the No. 1 all the way through spring and that the only thing that was keeping him out of the lineup was his surgery, well that's not what I was led to believe going into the summer," Jones told the South Bend Tribune for a story Monday. "I thought I was getting a chance because coach Weis believed in me. Then I didn't know what to believe anymore.''

Jones, who is from Chicago, said he attended Northern Illinois' 21-19 loss to Eastern Michigan on Saturday in DeKalb, Ill., but had not yet been in contact with the school's coaching staff and did not know when he would begin practicing with his new team.

"My plan is to practice with them this year and be eligible to play next fall," he said. "I'd then have three years of eligibility. That's how I hope it works out."

Northern Illinois spokeswoman Donna Turner said Monday that she had no word that Jones was yet part of the team.

"Everything so far has taken place outside the athletic department," she said.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

I do hope it works out for him...