bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Trojans center Spanos has torn triceps, out 2-4 weeks

I doubt this really matters to them, but It might give somebody an edge in some type of fashion when capping.

Trojans center Spanos has torn triceps, out 2-4 weeks

USC starting center Matt Spanos went down Tuesday in practice with a torn triceps while trying to block nose tackle Sedrick Ellis.

Spanos is expected to be out two to four weeks, according to USC offensive line coach Pat Ruel. Left guard Jeff Byers will slide over and play center in Saturday night's opener against Idaho with Tiny Malu taking over at guard.

After Wednesday's practice, Ruel said the new lineup actually produced one of the better days the Trojans' front has had this month. "We were communicating a lot better [Tuesday]," Ruel said. "I really think the responsibility was heightened."

Idaho doesn't figure to pose any problems for the Trojans, who have a bye week before their much-anticipated Sept. 15 game at Nebraska. In that game, USC could certainly use the 6-foot-5, 305-pound Spanos, who Ruel pegged as a powerful, aggressive pivot man as compared to the more finesse style of Byers.

Ruel also said freshman Kristofer O'Dowd, who has impressed in practice the past few weeks, will continue to take more reps at center as well. Another possible move could be shifting tackle Drew Radovich, who has been passed up by Charles Brown at right tackle, to guard.

Top-ranked USC may be loaded, but the one area where the Trojans aren't so deep is on their offensive line.

"Everybody has to play everything right now," coach Pete Carroll said, "everybody that has any background in another spot."

The key spot though, is right in the middle.

The 6-4, 285-pound Byers, who came to USC as a center, has experience playing the position, but has struggled there in the past. Last season when USC's All-American center Ryan Kalil wasn't on the field in practice, the Trojans had trouble just getting the ball snapped. Ruel, though, says Byers has worked hard and hasn't had any of those problems this fall.

In other USC injury news, freshman running back/kick returner Joe McKnight has been cleared for contact and will play against Idaho. On Wednesday, he wore a large brace protecting the sprained MCL in his right knee and said it has been hard to deal with it. "The brace limits me a little bit, because I really can't do hard cuts off my right leg," he said. "When I get my sleeve tomorrow, I'll be able to do all that stuff."

Carroll said McKnight would definitely play against Idaho. "He looked great on film yesterday; he looked fine today; he'll definitely play in the game," he said.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

I definitely think this is an injury worth noting...granted they have a talented back-up, but the center position is highly underrrated in an offense...