A cooperating witness from the federal corruption investigation into college basketball testified Wednesday against a former college football player charged with violating North Carolina's sports agent laws nearly a decade ago.

"I am just here to kind of tell the truth about what occurred in that period,'' Blazer said Wednesday. "I'm not proud of my role in that.''
Neither Blazer, who was sentenced to probation in February, nor UNC, sanctioned by the NCAA in March 2012 to resolve the case involving Hawkins, faces any legal or other punitive actions as a result of Blazer's testimony.
Blazer cooperated with prosecutors and investigators in a federal corruption investigation into college basketball, which led to NCAA charges against multiple schools. He had pleaded guilty to securities fraud and other charges, with prosecutors saying he began paying college athletes to get them to retain his company as a financial adviser or business manager.
The Hawkins case grew from an investigation launched by the North Carolina Secretary of State's office in summer 2010, which came shortly after the NCAA had started its own investigation into improper benefits and academic misconduct within the UNC football program.
Hawkins was first charged in 2015, with prosecutors adding additional charges last April. The biggest amount involved was $13,700 to Quinn -- who never played the 2010 season and was declared permanently ineligible by the NCAA that fall -- as well as helping him sell game-used equipment for another $1,700.