BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Las Vegas Lines Out For Bowl Games

The lines for the College Bowl Games are out in Vegas now. Nothing really shocking, but a few surprises. These are lines at Caesars Palace:

Utah -6 1/2 vs Northwestern. That seems like a lot of points to give considering Utah was held to 10 points by Washington, in TWO games. Injuries are going to play a part in both offenses. The 'Cats look like a good wager here.

Ohio State -5 vs Washington. Only 5? I can't see this game being that close unless Urban Meyer and Company are in "pout" mode for not being selected as a playoff team.

Penn State -5 1/2 vs Kentucky. Another Big 10 team that is a solid value play. Kentucky lost to 5-7 Tennessee by 17 points. Penn State should cruise in the 2nd half.

BYU -11 1/2 vs Western Michigan. BYU certainly is capable of winning this game, but 11 1/2 points is just too many for this team to give.

mtofell
    mtofell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4680

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Ohio State -5 vs Washington. Only 5? I can't see this game being that close unless Urban Meyer and Company are in "pout" mode for not being selected as a playoff team.
    X2 - Every time the Pac-12 travels east or south they get bludgeoned. Being in Oregon all I ever get to hear on sports radio is how we "deserve respect" yet every time we get a chance it's not even close. The national championship game a few years ago when Oregon faced OSU is a prime example. This game should play out similarly.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Right now I see Stanford, Oregon, and Washington State winning. Arizona State and Washington losing. Cal and Utah can go either way.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24938

I think Kentucky can hang with Penn State, they're a live dog in that game for sure.

mtofell

Right now I see Stanford, Oregon, and Washington State winning. Arizona State and Washington losing. Cal and Utah can go either way.
    ORE V Michigan State should be interesting. I agree Oregon should win but the MSU defense is stifling and Oregon does not do well when they can't keep rhythm and keep the ball moving.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

i love the ohio state......... washington just beating mediocre pac12 teams (i'm a huge huskies fan, but that's the truth). no big passing attack right now........ and i think OHS plays hard for urban meyer.

penn state looks good..... kentucky has some nice nfl prospects but i think PSU is on another level, and PSU can score alot against worse teams.

utah - NW, not a big opinion.......... my take is that utah plays fairly close games. and now without star QB and TB (stars for utah, not national)

byu-wm seems wrong like a typo............... i like byu, even these days, as a scrappy underdog, but no way as a significant favorite. don't know much about WM but i don't think it matters............ what was the last team of WM quality that BYU beat by double digits? (BTW, i could be wrong in these comments. i will check)

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

lines been out offshore lol

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I have no idea what you are talking about when you mention "WM quality". They have no quality. BYU defeated Hawaii, who IMO is a better team than WMU, by 26. Does that answer your question?

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

buddy, quality is a measure that goes from low to high........ "high quality" means a good team. i said "quality", meaning a reasonable mid-major (group of 5) team.

i did check. BYU has been good as large favorite this year. but that's been much bigger favorite and much worse teams than WM.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

If you measure quality that these bowl teams have, and assign them numbers from 1 to 10, I would give Western Michigan a 2 and BYU a 5. I would have to give Eastern Michigan a 1 because Western Michigan beat them in the regular season. The 10 is obvious.

mtofell

The Bama/Okla game isn't mentioned in the OP but this seems like the place with sharp minds so here goes: 14 seems like a lot of points and o/u 80 seems really high (both on Bovada today 12/5). I can read Nick Saban's mind and he's thinking slow the game down, keep the ball out of Oklahoma's hands. Bama is skilled enough on both sides of the ball that I think they really can dictate tempo better than any other team and that will be used to their advantage. The downside of that is the game could be lower scoring than anticipated and 2 TDs is a big margin. I REALLY like u80 in a tense playoff game. I'm a bit less optimistic on Oklahoma +14 but still take that long before I lay the 14 on Bama.

Alright..... let me have it. Convince me I'm a fool.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Last time OU was a 14 point underdog to Bama (2015)....they won by 14 and the total landed on 76.

So what does that mean?

Absolutely nothing.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16012

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    I think Kentucky can hang with Penn State, they're a live dog in that game for sure.
    It depends on who plays. If Josh Allen sits out since he is projected to go in the top 5 of the draft I don’t like UK’s chances and I expect Vegas will adjust accordingly.

indio
    indio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3954

I have no idea what you are talking about when you mention "WM quality". They have no quality. BYU defeated Hawaii, who IMO is a better team than WMU, by 26. Does that answer your question?
    And BYU also lost at home to a Northern Illinois team that Western Michigan beat, and just like your idiotic comment, that means very little in the grand scheme of things.

indio
    indio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3954

If you measure quality that these bowl teams have, and assign them numbers from 1 to 10, I would give Western Michigan a 2 and BYU a 5. I would have to give Eastern Michigan a 1 because Western Michigan beat them in the regular season. The 10 is obvious.
    So according to your "logic", would Purdue be a 0 since Eastern Michigan (a 1 on your scale) beat Purdue in the regular season this year? And then would Ohio State be a negative 1 because Purdue (rated 0) beat them?

I would love to book your action for a lifetime if you actually had enough money to bet more than $50 a game like you do.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by indio View Post
    So according to your "logic", would Purdue be a 0 since Eastern Michigan (a 1 on your scale) beat Purdue in the regular season this year? And then would Ohio State be a negative 1 because Purdue (rated 0) beat them?

I would love to book your action for a lifetime if you actually had enough money to bet more than $50 a game like you do.
    According to my logic, anyone who has 743 posts in over 7 years is simply not worthy of a response. Go back to your cubby hole, or you cell, or the happy home, or where ever you have been wasting our air.