Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Oregon coach

Classic choke job by another clown on the sideline. Oregon up 31-28 with 1:45 left and Stanford has one timeout and the clock is running after a first down, ball around Stanford 45. Take 3 knees, worst case scenario, you punt with maybe 12 or 15 seconds left and put them inside their 20 with time for one play. You can even run the clock out completely by snapping to the QB and having him go sideways for a few seconds on each play.
    Instead, let's run the ball. Guy fumbles, Stanford drives for tying FG, wins in OT.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

i was watching/listening/doing chores at various times so didn't see the fumble........ but i did wonder about that.....

a little earlier, did stanford effectively call a time out on a stopped clock? or was the clock going to run down?.... i wondered about that too

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

It’s amazing how horrible a lot of coaches are at time management.

Shouldn’t this be the easiest part of the game?

Don’t be a dumbass and you win. Sadly this will happen several more times throughout the year.

Oregon basically did the only the thing they could do to lose the game.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

you gotta love it

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

will coaches take a knee a few plays and then kick to other team with 25 seconds left? (most likely kick it out-of-bounds)? seems like they all run real plays even though the kneeling and giving the other team 20 seconds and a longish field works pretty well

JayDr3am
    Handi
    JayDr3am's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8206

arguably the most bullshit ive ever seen

navyblue81
    navyblue81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6657

A lot of teams actually do run the ball in that situation. You won’t see knees unless they can run out clock. But you need to tell your ball carrier to carry that thing a lot more protecting than that. YoI can’t be stretching It out. That’s where the mistake was made.

Seattle Slew

Shaw did call a timeout on a stopped clock, I was wondering what the rule was. Oregon got hit with a 5-yard penalty on first down and Shaw declined the penalty to take 2nd and 7, then called TO. Maybe the clock would run at that point with over 2 minutes left on a declined penalty? Of course the announcers never addressed it.

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    i was watching/listening/doing chores at various times so didn't see the fumble........ but i did wonder about that.....

a little earlier, did stanford effectively call a time out on a stopped clock? or was the clock going to run down?.... i wondered about that too

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

It depends on what the penalty was for, but generally speaking, the clock would have started as soon as the penalty was refused. You would think that with all the assistant coaches on a team, one would be selected to know all of these rules in case a decision was needed. Apparently, not many teams have anyone with such knowledge. Stanford is the exception here, but what else would you expect from a school like Stanford, which actually has players that know how to read and write.

jtoler

Seattle Slew

Oregon is who we thought they were, an 8-4 type of team in a bad conference.

And they are saying the Oregon QB would go No. 1 if he comes out?

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Have you seen the QB's in college these days. Pretty bad.

jtoler

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!
    QuantumLeap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8218

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    you gotta love it
    I love it!

mtofell
    mtofell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4680

I'm thoroughly confused.... this thread was started when Oregon Ducks were playing Stanford. Now, it's resurrected when Oregon STATE Beavers are playing Stanford. Are you guys trashing on Ducks coach, Beavers coach or both? Ore V Stanford, ORE State V Stanford or both?

Seattle Slew

Oregon lost a close game to Utah yesterday, I didn't see any of the game. Did Cristobal screw something up?

Quote Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
    I'm thoroughly confused.... this thread was started when Oregon Ducks were playing Stanford. Now, it's resurrected when Oregon STATE Beavers are playing Stanford. Are you guys trashing on Ducks coach, Beavers coach or both? Ore V Stanford, ORE State V Stanford or both?

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
    its resurrected to highlight the fact that he isnt better than taggart in fact he's worse. they didnt start losing last year until herbert got injured and the backup couldnt pass for more than 50 yds in most games. when herbert came back they won. now oregon has a healthy herbert all season and going downhill.
    Last edited by jtoler; 11-11-18 at 10:39 AM.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Let's get something straight right now. Taggart is TERRIBLE. He has no excuses for the worst season for Florida State since the 1970's. They will miss their first Bowl game since 1981. He had 8 starters on offense returning at the beginning of the season, and did not go trough a rash of major injuries to his players. Another guy who should have stuck to coaching a group of 6 team.

jtoler