bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Michigan Wolverines Preview

I'm not worried about there offense as much as I do there defense. I really have to question the strength of there defense this year after losing some key players off last years team.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

UM's offense is absolutely loaded. My only concern is that Carr and offensive coordinator Terry Malone are often too conservative with the play-calling. I love Mike Hart, and backup Brandon Minor will be a special back, while providing a nice change of pace from Hart, who lacks the breakaway speed that Minor possesses. However, with Manningham, Arrington and emerging sophomore Greg Mathews at wideout, there's no reason they shouldn't take more chances down the field than they have in year's past. Manningham, in particular, is the best deep threat in college ball, (only D. Jackson is even remotely close in comparison) and his double move is virtually indefensible. With a great OL, Henne will have plenty of time to throw the ball deep to Mario.

As you say dan, the defense is a bit of a concern. I think the D-line, despite losing Branch and Woodley, will be the strength of the defense. NT Terrance Taylor is huge in the middle, and will be vital to the run defense. . They also have a couple promising ends, Jamison in particular, who should provide enough pressure on the QB.

They're also in decent shape at linebacker, lead by Crable. The biggest weakness on the team, just as last year, is the secondary. Safety Jamar Adams is very good, but other than him, there are many questions. The corners are the biggest concern. Morgan Trent was horrible last year, and he's supposed to be the no. 1 corner this year. The starting corner spot opposite Trent is still up for grabs.

The schedule is favorable with the ND, PSU and OSU games all at home. I think UM could very easily be 10-0 headed into the Wiscy game Nov. 10.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think unders in Michigan games will be a strong way to look this season ... the offense is very good, but people will overrate them because of the two potential Heisman candidates. It's still the Big 10, and Lloyd Carr isn't looking to score 40 points against someone. If he has a 17-7 lead, it's run left, run right, throw a slant on third and five.
    The defense will be better than people think, IMO. The secondary is a concern, but how many teams in the Big 10 (other than UM) do you expect to throw for 250+ yards? I actually like the rest of the defense fairly well.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

razz,

respect...

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by pags11 View Post
    razz,

respect...
    Whats your take on Michigan this year Pags?

austintx05
    austintx05's Avatar Become A Pro!

michigan will underachieve like always. Ohio St will have a better defense.

stump
    stump's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

As long as Carr is the coach, they will find a way to lose 1-2 games even with superior talent

BigBollocks
    BigBollocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

I think they may well go undefeated, aided almost entirely by playing in the Big Ten. You think of how subpar Ohio State and Michigan are compared to say the top half of the SEC, and then think of how they are consistently able to drub the other teams within the Big Ten. Outside of OSU and Wisconsin, the Wolverines don't have to do a thing this year but show up....

pags11

dan,

henne and hart are legit, the D will be good, but as long as carr is at the helm I can only look at them as a dog or very small fav (which will be a rare occurance, which means I won't be betting on them a lot this year)...

wolverine71
    wolverine71's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBollocks View Post
    I think they may well go undefeated, aided almost entirely by playing in the Big Ten. You think of how subpar Ohio State and Michigan are compared to say the top half of the SEC, and then think of how they are consistently able to drub the other teams within the Big Ten. Outside of OSU and Wisconsin, the Wolverines don't have to do a thing this year but show up....
    If you think Mich and OSU wouldnt fair well in the SEC, you are only kidding yourself and are and SEC slappy.

Dont let last year's championship game fool you. All the elements were there for Fl to do what they did. OSU was ripe and Fl was hungry.

Mich and OSU would do just fine in any conference.

BigBollocks
    BigBollocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine71 View Post
    If you think Mich and OSU wouldnt fair well in the SEC, you are only kidding yourself and are and SEC slappy.

Dont let last year's championship game fool you. All the elements were there for Fl to do what they did. OSU was ripe and Fl was hungry.

Mich and OSU would do just fine in any conference.

Wolverine I grew up an absolutely humongous Big Ten fan actually. You can't argue that we have some of the best stadium atmospheres in the country for sure.

I respect your love for one team and remember when I used to be like that. Nowadays I consider myself almost a neutral observer as I'll play on or against anyone, and know the Akron Zips roster as well as the USC Trojans (it's the same greenback regardless of national attention). You're kidding yourself if you even think the Big Ten is competitive with the SEC. Two different players from Florida said after that game that OSU wasn't even in the top five teams they played. I think it's tough to make excuses in that game as Florida simply manhandled OSU from start to finish. It's also difficult to call it happenstance when Ohio State has NEVER beaten an SEC team in close to double digit tries. I don't think we've got a team this year that could go .500 in the SEC to be honest with you. I've got my own reasons in thinking the Big Ten can't compete nationally such as weather, lack of minorities, emphasis on other sports, etc, but we won't get into all that.

I understand you're a Michigan fan and I think you'll get through the Big Ten undefeated this year, but I also think you'll get crushed in your bowl game (as will OSU and Wisky most likely). That said, it should be fun to see Henne light up some defenses this fall. GL...

wolverine71
    wolverine71's Avatar Become A Pro!

IMO, FL was very very fortunate to even have been in the BCS Championship game. It very easily could have been an all BT finally.

When ND makes it 12 the conferences will be even all the way around.

I still say M and OSU would fair just fine in the SEC.

Most non SEC slappies would agree.

pags11

I will enjoy watching hart and henne...

prickbeater101
    prickbeater101's Avatar Become A Pro!

wolverine I am glad you joined this forum as we will have a good time riding each other's conference this year. I am not a Big 10 fan when it comes to comparing them to the SEC because I feel they are overrated as we all found out after last years NC. I have respect for Michigan more than Ohio St. but as long as Carr remains there, then they will not be as good as they coud be...imo. As far as them being fine in the SEC, I think you are right. They would certainly be better than Vanderbilt and Miss. St. But lets have some fun this year...

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by pags11 View Post
    I will enjoy watching hart and henne...
    I already know what to expect from those two player Pags. However, I don't know what to make of there defense this year though. Now thats what I'm gonna be watching.

bigboydan

Looks like Michigan has already packed it in this year after those two embarrassing defeats.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    I think UM could very easily be 10-0 headed into the Wiscy game Nov. 10.
    Oops.

bigboydan

Todays game against ND is kinda what I expected this year out of Michigan this year.

rugbybdyb
    rugbybdyb's Avatar Become A Pro!

Notre Dame needs to give a call to Rudy Rudiger...Rudy..Rudy....Rudy...Rudy...Ru dy...ROFLMAF