usma1992
    usma1992's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2268

Any Math geeks out there... I could use your input...

I have posted over the course of the last 6-7 years and have spent time predicting games with my computer model to a minimal success. It is very hard to find a system that can sustain a reasonable outcome.

So what I have changed---I am now running a coorelation analysis on zscores of individual statistics. What I mean is that I am looking at each statistic relative to the mean and their peers and then I am trying to determine whether the outcome has any coorelation. A coorelation score ranges from -1 to 1. In college the best I have gotten is around .56 on NFL I have only been able to generate a coorelation to about .38.

My next step was to take this coorelation and check it against recent data. The combination of stats that met my specs I then weighted to get optimal results. I put 2010-2014 in one category and the last two years in a second category. When I ran the analysis... I tested to see what combination of the weighted statistics produced a 58% outcome in each of the categories at the same time.

If it did...I kicked that combination to a new spreadsheet and I am now running those combinations to see if they work this year. I have different combinations for over, under, home, away, favorites and dogs. I chose to break them down into six different categories.

Week 1--Hit 58%--but I could only use last years end of season data
    Week 2 Hit 51% but that was based on only one games stats
    Week 3 Hit 46.3% but again these stats only include two volatile weeks for college football.

I start my betting Week 4 for College and Week 3 for Pro.

Any suggestions on what I could do better is appreciated. I bought computer parts to build a new computer because my 8 year old computer couldn't handle the calculations. Parts just came in...running NFL program right now... takes 6-8 hours...college about the same... I will post my picks so that the board can rip them apart.

Thank You
    Dave

Electrons
    Electrons's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Well, the most obvious question--you start betting at the start of college conference play (Week 4), how do you value the differential in the variance of out of conference scheduling?

Take a look at Baylor's OOC schedule and Oklahoma's.

Individual stats will be very different and not really have any value when you try to compare those two teams (as an example).

xdodger19
    xdodger19's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6219

My theory is no computer at all,
    just set up your bet so you cant lose

usma1992
    usma1992's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2268

I understand what you are saying and it is very difficult to take it into count. What I have tested is that I use the Vegas Spread against the statistics? Since they have access to so much more information than I do, I take their spread and adjust the statistics using a tested formula. For example is -21, I could increase the stats by 20% for the favorite and decrease 20% for the underdog. Just an example of what you could do to account for the discrepancy.

Dave

Electrons
    Electrons's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Quote Originally Posted by usma1992 View Post
    I understand what you are saying and it is very difficult to take it into count. What I have tested is that I use the Vegas Spread against the statistics? Since they have access to so much more information than I do, I take their spread and adjust the statistics using a tested formula. For example is -21, I could increase the stats by 20% for the favorite and decrease 20% for the underdog. Just an example of what you could do to account for the discrepancy.

Dave
    Dave---with all due respect---read your post again. It is tough to offer help/advice when you're not very specific about what you're doing?

How about this. Give us a specific example, using numbers/lines and what your "formula" is. This way, we can offer some opinion.

Blazermaniac
    Blazermaniac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1027

Solve this riddle. Add on to your system and you'll be unbeatable like me.

How can I go 10-3 and claim I win 100%????

Answer: The Chase System.

SBRMAN23
    Be humble sit down
    SBRMAN23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1448

Quote Originally Posted by Blazermaniac View Post
    Solve this riddle. Add on to your system and you'll be unbeatable like me.

How can I go 10-3 and claim I win 100%????

Answer: The Chase System.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24938

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24938

xdodger19
    xdodger19's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6219

the books most likely are already using computers, you have to essentially beat them