Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Muschamp to South Carolina. Why is this a good idea?

Link

So can anyone else name a head coach that was a complete dumpster fire at one program, made what is almost a lateral move to another program, and then does amazing? Points to anyone who can name one.

I can't see how anyone at South Carolina can be excited right now. Did Muschamp just get a raw deal at UF? SEC guys chime in. I'm lost here. Why not at least pursue a guy like David Cutcliffe (who said he's not leaving, but a lot of people have said that before and left) or even a Mike Leach or a Kevin Wilson? You just hired a proven head coaching failure that already took an SEC team into the dark ages, and that team immediately became good again the second he left.

Or do people just not learn? Being a great coordinator, no matter how awful you were as a HC, will still get you major consideration from a bigtime program? So will somebody F up again and hire Lane Kiffin in a few years?

Stumped.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9462

No idea how they make this move. Another terrible, terrible hire. I read SC wanted to hire a coach by Sunday. Why? You fill the job in a week and make a bad hire.

I think the former Auburn coach would be better.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    No idea how they make this move. Another terrible, terrible hire. I read SC wanted to hire a coach by Sunday. Why? You fill the job in a week and make a bad hire.

I think the former Auburn coach would be better.

Chizzwack? Yeah, at least he's had success

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Let's face it. South Carolina was basically garbage before Spurrier showed up, and will return to that status now. This was a very questionable hire.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Horrible hire, like op said Florida got better instantly when he left.

Isaiah
    Isaiah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6957

If it's any consolation Muschamp wasn't South Carolina's first choice.

They offered the job to Arizona's Rich Rodriguez who actually met with them to discuss the offer before turning it down.

Regardless of the fact that he didn't accept the job, Arizona officials are none too pleased that their head coach is meeting with other schools about openings but put on a happy face about him staying.
    Last edited by Isaiah; 12-07-15 at 12:59 AM.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Richrod knows that he will never win a Divisional Championship at Arizona. The Pac 12 South is just too tough for him. He has to go to a much softer Division like the SEC East, the ACC Coastal, or the Big 10 West.

BadNina
    I did troubles!!
    BadNina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13869

RichRod turned down Bama before the AD went and sat in front of Saban's house until he got to speak with him. That worked out pretty well. Pete Carroll pretty much sucked for awhile before going back to USC and then Seattle. He turned it around. Muschamp's last FL team had one of those years of injuries (like Baylor QBs this year). The team had a good defense but the offense was lost. If he gets a good OC he will do fine at SC. The bad issue with coaching right now is that every program uses Saban's success at Bama as their measuring stick.