jellobiafra
    jellobiafra's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Would anyone believe me if I said Boise St coach to UVA?

Former play-by-play announcer Mac McDonald announced on his radio show today that he has it on good authority that UVA has secured Chris Petersen as their next head coach. I don't believe it either....yet. But who knows? I'm hearing $2.4 million over 6 years.

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/sp...ch_cavs/49342/

jellobiafra

Here's a little blurb about the MacDonald statement on the radio today:

http://www.walker-sports.net/2009/11...roh-fired.html

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

I have no idea if this is true or not, but it is certainly believeable. I would warn Virginia to look at Colorado and see how successful Dan Hawkins has been before jumping all over Petersen. It is not difficult running the table when you play one challenging team a year, and 11 pushovers, but when you actually get into a legitimate conference, things change in a hurry.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

All the more reason to take Nevada

mmike032
    mmike032's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8274

I wouldnt believe it but stranger things have happened.
    dont know what he's making now but is 2.4M over 6 yrs that much more.

I agree w/ Daddy, if he does leave he'll soon fall to the ranks of Hawkins

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

Oh, I thought it was 2.4M a year over 6 years...

jellobiafra

Per the article I linked, Petersen currently makes $850,000 a year. So yeah, $2.4 million is a significant raise. Plus all the ancillary income coaches with their TV and radio show and endorsement deals, which will be greater at a school like UVA than it is in Idaho. Boise can't compete with the big boys when it comes to money. UVA is not one of the "big boys" on the field, but they can throw around cash with the best of them.

jellobiafra

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Oh, I thought it was 2.4M a year over 6 years...
    It is Mac, I worded it poorly to begin with. $2.4 mil a year is what I've seen being tossed around. I still don't believe this yet, but I would also be surprised that this guy would put his reputation (20 years as play-by-play announcer) on the line like this and risk a lot of egg on his face by saying this if it's not a done deal.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I seriously doubt that UVA is going to shell out that kind of money for a progran that consistantly finished in the middle, or near the bottom the the ACC. In their last 11 seasons, Virginia has never lost less than 4 games, and they only did that twice. They have a grand total of 1 win against rival Virginia Tech. The school will not shell out that kind of money for a coach unless they can see some results first.

jellobiafra

Bigdaddy, they gave Al Groh a contract about 6 years ago that made him one of the top 10 highest paid coaches in the country. It was for right around $1.8 million. You'd be surprised how deep UVA's pockets are. They just completed a privately funded 15,000 seat basketball arena 3 years ago that cost upwards of $200 million. They were rumored to have offered Tubby Smith a similar package to this Petersen deal before this season, but he decided to stay at Minnesota.

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

That would shock me.

I actually heard that UVA was going to pursue Jim Grobe (Wake HC)----Grobe is a UVA alum.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBlank View Post
    That would shock me.

I actually heard that UVA was going to pursue Jim Grobe (Wake HC)----Grobe is a UVA alum.
    Now that would be a great move on UVA's part. A guy who is a proven winner in conference and who'se recuriting was extremely limited by academics as well as the size of the school. I think Grobe and Paul Johnson are tow of the Top 20 coaches in the nation.

jellobiafra

Jim Grobe is a non-starter. It would have made sense 8 years ago when they hired Groh, but not now. The University knows that they need a home run here. They need someone who is going to excite the fan and alumni base. The stadium has been half full all season... actually going on two seasons now. (It will be 3/4 full of Hokies Saturday). Nobody gives a shit about the program and it's hemorrhaging money. Ticket sales have plummeted. Donations are suffering. They are willing to do anything to hire somebody that will cause a stir.

Updated figures in this article say Petersen actually makes closer to $1.1mm a year. And Al Groh makes more than $2mm. The money is not an issue.

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/sp...etersen/49351/

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jellobiafra View Post
    Jim Grobe is a non-starter. It would have made sense 8 years ago when they hired Groh, but not now. The University knows that they need a home run here. They need someone who is going to excite the fan and alumni base. The stadium has been half full all season... actually going on two seasons now. (It will be 3/4 full of Hokies Saturday). Nobody gives a shit about the program and it's hemorrhaging money. Ticket sales have plummeted. Donations are suffering. They are willing to do anything to hire somebody that will cause a stir.

Updated figures in this article say Petersen actually makes closer to $1.1mm a year. And Al Groh makes more than $2mm. The money is not an issue.

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/sp...etersen/49351/

Define home run hire.

Virginia would be lucky to get someone like Grobe.

Who do they really think they are going to get?

Guys like Brian Kelly, Chris Petersen, Gary Patterson are not going to Virginia. It isn't that good of a job.

I think hiring Grobe would be as good as they can get-----and Grobe is a damn fine coach. He has won ACC titles--AT WAKE FOREST! If he can win there---he can win at UVA.