inZane
    inZane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4906

Sagarin/Line difference

Just wondering if anyone out there has ever looked at the games that have a noticeable difference between the actual line and sagarin's ratings.It seems that the vast majority of games are very close to these ratings. However, sometimes lines are put out that are not close at all. For example, this weekend there are 15 games out of the lined 46 ones (additionally added ones excluded) that have a difference of at least 5 points, one as high as 12 points. I know sagarin is impartial to public opinion or injuries, but I'm curious if anybody has seen a trend.

KyTn
    KyTn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2421

any way to get last week's and see what they did?

inZane

I already burned my work sheets from last week. But I'll keep track this weekend and if I find something useful I'll pass it on. I don't think there's any way to retrieve the sagarin ratings from last week without finding it in the USA today from whatever date they publish it, if they still do. I haven't bought one their papers in years.

tennesseety
    tennesseety's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1817

I went through this exercise a few years ago and struggled mightily to find many differences (if any). I am sure some exist, I just couldn't find any after a couple tries.

inZane

Thanks for the response, tenny. I've got the time now to go more than a couple tries.I just picked the 5 point difference arbitrarily. I'll bet if a guy was good with this thing he could break it down into numbers lower than 5 and also home or away to set up some kind of chart with the results. Anyway, still looking for an angle...

TexasJayhawk
    TexasJayhawk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 273

Quote Originally Posted by inZane View Post
    Thanks for the response, tenny. I've got the time now to go more than a couple tries.I just picked the 5 point difference arbitrarily. I'll bet if a guy was good with this thing he could break it down into numbers lower than 5 and also home or away to set up some kind of chart with the results. Anyway, still looking for an angle...
    http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm Ratings for this week at his website...