irish1
    Update your status
    irish1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5081

Ex oregon player compares college football to slavery! Your thoughts?

Ex-Oregon player rips into fans

Share This Story

Sam Gardner

Sam Gardner is a general assignment writer for FOXSports.com. Originally from Orlando, Fla., he previously covered the Orlando Magic for FOX Sports Florida and has also covered the NBA Finals, Stanley Cup Finals and MLB playoffs. Follow him on Twitter.
    MORE>>

Updated Oct 30, 2013 2:59 PM ET

WANT SEXIER SPORTS?

A former Oregon football player has a message for spoiled fans at Autzen Stadium: Go _uck yourselves. And no, the missing letter isn’t a D.
    In an open letter in The Oregonian, the unnamed former player detailed his experience at Saturday’s 42-14 win over No. 12 UCLA, his first as a spectator.
    “My friend and I took our seats where I soon became acquainted with the most ignorant people in all of college football,” the player wrote, before detailing an experience that included fan criticism of the players of coaches and a confrontation when he asked them to stop.
    "I finally had enough, and turned around and asked if he would like to get down there and take [quarterback] Marcus [Mariota's] place," he wrote. "The man responded, 'No.' Then I asked if we were all still rooting for Oregon, in which he responded in an aggressive, irrelevant and incoherent manner and so I decided to discontinue the conversation I had started with him.
    "I was then verbally attacked by other spectators saying, 'You need to keep your (expletive) mouth shut, because you don't know (expletive) about football.' They claimed that I didn't know that they had coached college football, and that I had no idea what I was talking about."
    The player then closed with the following statement about college football culture, along with a message to the fans of the No. 2 Ducks:

NCAA FASHION POLICE

Oregon, Maryland and others show off their unique uniforms from this season.

I remember walking in from fall camp practice and talking to my teammates about how similar our lives were to the TV series Spartacus. We were slaves. We were paid enough to live, eat, and train... And nothing more. We went out on the field where we were broken down physically and mentally every day, only to wake up and do it again on the next. On the outside, spectators placed bets and objectified us. They put us on pedestals and worshipped us for a short time, but only as long as we were winning. In the end, we were just a bunch of dumbass (racial slur) for the owners to whip, and the rich to bet on.
    What I described is a business, I know. It's how it works, and it is something we understand as athletes entering the system, as (expletive) up as it is. For many people entering that system, it's better than what life has to offer elsewhere. So they take it. But having been on the outside now, to witness this disgusting display of "support", I know that I want no (expletive) part of it. I will never attend a duck game as a spectator again. I am disgusted by duck fans and I will sit back and observe from afar with high hopes for the player's success and understanding of their sacrifice, without having to hear the spoiled woes of ignorant fans.
    I will always love the ducks: my coaches, my teammates, my brothers and family. The rest... Go (expletive) yourselves.
    Oregon’s next home game is Nov. 16 against Utah. It’s probably safe to say this ex-Duck won’t be attending.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

I'm sure he slept with much better looking women than the slaves did. Also ate much better.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Not much better places to play football at than Oregon. Guy probably had a TV in the shitter while eating a steak with all the freshest Nike gear on. Slave my nuts.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Hard to make appoint or take a stand when talking anonymously

balls2wall
    balls2wall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6601

I doubt many slaves were given free 100k educations

My parents would love to get their money back that they wasted on my college "education"

Cougsky17
    Cougsky17's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 284

Was a walk on WR named Dane Ebanez. He played in 1 play in the Fiesta Bowl in his career.

Oregon is not even close to a 100k education. But he did pay for it himself.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Yes slave like facilities

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  72.1 KB

balls2wall
    balls2wall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6601

Quote Originally Posted by Cougsky17 View Post
    Was a walk on WR named Dane Ebanez. He played in 1 play in the Fiesta Bowl in his career.

Oregon is not even close to a 100k education. But he did pay for it himself.

I hear what you are saying, but I was talking about all colleges/scholarship athletes in general. I don't know who this moron is.

TexasJayhawk
    TexasJayhawk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 273

Comparing college football (especially UO) to slavery is ridiculous. That being said, some of those CFB games (especially in states with little to no pro teams) attract some hardcore white trash. And white trash are the worst because they think they know a thing or two because they played on the JV team in high school.

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Looks close to the same Vegas...

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    Yes slave like facilities

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  72.1 KB

GWOZOZO
    GWOZOZO's Avatar Become A Pro!

You guys are missing the point. It is like slavery because they get no wages. Everything they get is presented in the form of handouts while theyre the reason why the NCAA and Universities are waxing rich. Players only see a token.The balance of power is completely one-sided. Forget the nice facilities. It serves one purpose and thats to make the exploitation easier to accept.

Cougsky17
    Cougsky17's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 284

Quote Originally Posted by balls2wall View Post
    I hear what you are saying, but I was talking about all colleges/scholarship athletes in general. I don't know who this moron is.
    Yeah I had never heard of him until now and I'm a Wazzu guy. But your point is dead on, even for the walk ons they know what they're signing up for. If you're playing football for Phil Knight you're life does not suck unless you want it to.

SamDiamond

Quote Originally Posted by GWOZOZO View Post
    You guys are missing the point. It is like slavery because they get no wages. Everything they get is presented in the form of handouts while theyre the reason why the NCAA and Universities are waxing rich. Players only see a token.The balance of power is completely one-sided. Forget the nice facilities. It serves one purpose and thats to make the exploitation easier to accept.
    Two things.

1. No one is forcing them to play college football.

2. They are getting a free education, along with housing, food, and before you cry about their poverty--- they do receive their Pell Grant as cash-- which is on average, 6400.

Now, when I was in college---- 6400 would have lasted a long fuking time---especially if housing/tuition/books were paid in full.

JabooFootball
    JabooFootball's Avatar Become A Pro!

Here's my issue. If I goto a college for music and receive a scholarship because perform in its band I can still get paid to perform at shows in town, sell albums and merchandise. If I goto school to pursue an MBA and receive a scholarship due to my academic standing I can still offer consulting services directly related to my major or work in a related field for profit. Prohibiting players from their right to due compensation off of their likeness is tantamount to slavery. I'm not saying the deserve to get paid just for playing (although I've heard some compelling arguments) but it is completely autocratic for the NCAA to prevent players from profiting off of their own likeness. If Manziel, Mariotta, or Winston wanna sell autographs they deserve to. It's the least they can get.

SamDiamond

Quote Originally Posted by JabooFootball View Post
    Here's my issue. If I goto a college for music and receive a scholarship because perform in its band I can still get paid to perform at shows in town, sell albums and merchandise. If I goto school to pursue an MBA and receive a scholarship due to my academic standing I can still offer consulting services directly related to my major or work in a related field for profit. Prohibiting players from their right to due compensation off of their likeness is tantamount to slavery. I'm not saying the deserve to get paid just for playing (although I've heard some compelling arguments) but it is completely autocratic for the NCAA to prevent players from profiting off of their own likeness. If Manziel, Mariotta, or Winston wanna sell autographs they deserve to. It's the least they can get.
    That is not completely true. There is certainly precedent for the university having proprietary rights to an individual's work.

If you work pursuing a PhD--in say, Biochemistry----and you make a discovery worth millions----- that discovery is owned by the university. In fact, the university would have the proprietary right to anything you did in that university that could potentially earn you money-- even procedural/protocol issues.

JabooFootball

Quote Originally Posted by SamDiamond View Post
    That is not completely true. There is certainly precedent for the university having proprietary rights to an individual's work.

If you work pursuing a PhD--in say, Biochemistry----and you make a discovery worth millions----- that discovery is owned by the university. In fact, the university would have the proprietary right to anything you did in that university that could potentially earn you money-- even procedural/protocol issues.
    thats because your research is funded at a deficit to the university. These top tier players cause a surplus of cash to flood the universities. Johnny Manziel brought AM donations up to 740 million (a nearly 100% increase).

SamDiamond

thats because your research is funded at a deficit to the university. These top tier players cause a surplus of cash to flood the universities. Johnny Manziel brought AM donations up to 740 million (a nearly 100% increase).
    Not true at all.

Scientific research has always been funded in part by Big Pharma or Private business.

In fact, BP gave Cal 500 million dollars to develop a Biofuel program. 500 million dollars. Hardly a deficit for Cal, and not one of the PhD candidates working on it is going to earn a single dollar for their work.

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r...2/01_ebi.shtml

JabooFootball

Sam you're choosing the exception rather then the rule and in all fairness I guess I am too. Agree to disagree- although I'm not aware of many PhDs developing ALS as a direct result of their research. Texas AM got 740 mil soley from booster contributions. This does not include conference money, memorobilia, etc. 740 million the year after Manziel gets there, 380 (I think don't have time to reference the article as I'm about to be made to power down my iPad to take off) million the prior year. I think it's safe to say that over a 2 year period that single person will have close to a billion dollar impact on the university. However his selling his own autograph for 25 bucks a pop is shunned? That's ludicrous. And we can not emphasize with Manziel because he's a rich white spoiled brat but the jadavwon clowneys and Sammy Watkins of the world aren't. And I believe if we found some way to incentivize them beyond the current system they may stay in school for the full 4 years which would in turn bring greater revenues to the schools, greater player development for the next level, and better competition overall.

Gonz312
    Keep It Simple Stupid
    Gonz312's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8478

Anybody who thinks they should get paid on top of what they get need to take a close look at the shitty student loan situation in this country with outrageous interest rates that take years for an educated employed individual to pay off...all because they actually wanted to learn and get an education.

The majority of scholarship athletes will never make millions in the pros and need to be grateful for their education and the fact that they wont be in thousands of dollars on debt when they leave school...except for the "ballas" who think they have to play a certain part by buying outrageous things they cant afford.

College athletes need a reality check that there is most likely not a pro contract waiting for them at the end of the road...unfortunately these guys are treated like stars since they hit puberty and have everyone promising them the world before they even have hair on their balls.
    Last edited by Gonz312; 10-31-13 at 12:22 PM.

SamDiamond

Sam you're choosing the exception rather then the rule and in all fairness I guess I am too. Agree to disagree- although I'm not aware of many PhDs developing ALS as a direct result of their research. Texas AM got 740 mil soley from booster contributions. This does not include conference money, memorobilia, etc. 740 million the year after Manziel gets there, 380 (I think don't have time to reference the article as I'm about to be made to power down my iPad to take off) million the prior year. I think it's safe to say that over a 2 year period that single person will have close to a billion dollar impact on the university. However his selling his own autograph for 25 bucks a pop is shunned? That's ludicrous. And we can not emphasize with Manziel because he's a rich white spoiled brat but the jadavwon clowneys and Sammy Watkins of the world aren't. And I believe if we found some way to incentivize them beyond the current system they may stay in school for the full 4 years which would in turn bring greater revenues to the schools, greater player development for the next level, and better competition overall.
    I'm pretty sure the lunatics at A&M are an outlier.

If they want to donate based on the simple fact that their QB won a shiny trophy, so be it. I still don't think that entitles Manziel to make any money here.

Let me ask you this. As much as A&M used Manziel to make some coin, what do you think Manziel's autograph would be worth at say, Brown, Vanderbilt, or Stanford? He needed A&M just the same.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I don't think any college football player should cry poverty. They are given an incredible opportunity.

My god, imagine the kid smart enough to play for Stanford? Or Vanderbilt? Or Notre Dame? Degrees from those Top 20 academic schools are golden tickets to great graduate school programs, professional schools, Wall Street--- you name it.