saints1856
    saints1856's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4707

Ark at Alabama

Haven't seen much here on SBR about this game... but here's my take:

Last year, Bama went to Fayetteville and beat Ark 52-0. And that was when Ark had a decent QB in Tyler Wilson. Arkansas is really struggling right now, as they just lost 52-7 to South Carolina at home. Ark is 113th in passing, which means they are one dimensional with the running game. Bama will control the line of scrimmage, force a lot of 3 and outs, and I see this one getting ugly.

I hate laying this many points, but I am buying the hook and betting Bama -27.5. May not even need the hook, but oh well. Final score Bama 45-10 or so. Thoughts?

curtrambus
    curtrambus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4799

Yea this is probably the easiest bet of the week. I don't even think S Carolina is that good and they absolutely crushed Ark. Expect 21-0 in the first quarter and then Bielema's team giving up again like last week.

JabooFootball
    JabooFootball's Avatar Become A Pro!

Avg score of a game at bryant denny this year 33-3... only 9 points scored on Bama there all year (and lets be honest Ole Miss has a lot better offense than Ark)... suddenly that point total (48.5) looks pretty attractive.

Huckleberry Pig
    Huckleberry Pig's Avatar Become A Pro!

we will get murdered here

DeLorean
    DeLorean's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 493

Yes indeed, Huck. Prob nobody on this site knows Ark like we do. This team has given up. 45-10 sounds good OP

Huckleberry Pig

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Yes indeed, Huck. Prob nobody on this site knows Ark like we do. This team has given up. 45-10 sounds good OP
    it's sad really, and I think it falls on the older guys. I've heard the young guys love being there and are working hard. I think the older class may be too "damaged" from the whole scandal and captain "SMILE" to care anymore. Honestly think, aside from the freshman, they have given up

DeLorean
    DeLorean's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 493

Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry Pig View Post
    it's sad really, and I think it falls on the older guys. I've heard the young guys love being there and are working hard. I think the older class may be too "damaged" from the whole scandal and captain "SMILE" to care anymore. Honestly think, aside from the freshman, they have given up
    Yep, only thing I'm hoping for this season is that Alex Collins makes it through without getting injured. He'll be one of the greatest backs we've had if he stays healthy. Aside from him and the d-line no one else goes 100%. As my dad always said, "they're just going through the motions."

Huckleberry Pig

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Yep, only thing I'm hoping for this season is that Alex Collins makes it through without getting injured. He'll be one of the greatest backs we've had if he stays healthy. Aside from him and the d-line no one else goes 100%. As my dad always said, "they're just going through the motions."
    yep. our recruiting class for 2014 is looking solid though, and our 2015 is looking very good. This new staff can really recruit, we need it in the worst way.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

The Razorbacks defense seems to have regressed the past three games... (Tx AM, Fla, SC) might just have something to do with that. Arkansas' defense has given up an average of 537 ypg during those 3 games compared to a season average of 390.

The Hogs have a decent running attack but are going up against a Bama team that has given up only 37 rushing ypg
    at home.

Style points are all important for the top teams now....even though Saban is not one to pile on...he's well aware of needing to stay on top of the standings and provide positive play in a way that impresses the 13 member panel.

I think Bama covers the number.......................

Huckleberry Pig

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    The Razorbacks defense seems to have regressed the past three games... (Tx AM, Fla, SC) might just have something to do with that. Arkansas' defense has given up an average of 537 ypg during those 3 games compared to a season average of 390.

The Hogs have a decent running attack but are going up against a Bama team that has given up only 37 rushing ypg
    at home.

Style points are all important for the top teams now....even though Saban is not one to pile on...he's well aware of needing to stay on top of the standings and provide positive play in a way that impresses the 13 member panel.

I think Bama covers the number.......................
    100% agree. I mentioned a week or two ago Bama has no problem running up the score against SEC teams. Saban won't do it against crap teams cause he knows he doesn't need to and he tries to be respectful to them. But a blowout against an SEC team will serve him better in BCS standings. He will not step off the pedal here.

We are in trouble. and work, we have regressed because the teams are getting better and we have absolutely no depth. Hell we don't have very 1st string players after the front 4 of our D to begin with.

WorkHorse

Saints...not trying to highjack your thread but would like to ask Huck a question or two. First, what is the general feeling among the Razorback faithful about Bielema? What about the coaching staff as a whole?

I'm thinking if the staff can recruit some more kids like that freshman running back...they will be able to get back to oldtime Arkansas football. Bielema doesn't have the players he needs for his system and to compete in the tough SEC West....needs some players and recruiting will be the key the next couple of years.

Do you feel confident the staff can bring in quality recruits?

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Work. Great to see you back here. I thhink you are right. Saban can call the number. He has anothger good warm up nnet week hosting Tennessee, and then a week off before the LSU game that goes a lonng way in deciding the SEC West winner. I'll tell you. I think that 'Bama can handle LSU. The game that has me a bit worried is at Auburn. You know how crazy that rivalry can get, especially with the tree fiasco.

bama11braves
    bama11braves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 772

Tyler Wilson did not play against bama did. They had a backup make his first start against Bama. Game last year was a little messed up. Rained during the game and Arkansas was depleted. This is def not a lock so beware from a bama fan. We do not score or run it up a lot. I see Arkansas running the ball decent and i can see this score at like 35-10. so be careful to all those on bama

Huckleberry Pig

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    Saints...not trying to highjack your thread but would like to ask Huck a question or two. First, what is the general feeling among the Razorback faithful about Bielema? What about the coaching staff as a whole?

I'm thinking if the staff can recruit some more kids like that freshman running back...they will be able to get back to oldtime Arkansas football. Bielema doesn't have the players he needs for his system and to compete in the tough SEC West....needs some players and recruiting will be the key the next couple of years.

Do you feel confident the staff can bring in quality recruits?
    if you ask fans who don't overreact, they feel fine right now. Some morons expected 7-8 wins first season. again, delusional. We lost a full year of recruiting last year until Bielema got here. Petrino had not recruited secondary/lbs or oddly enough WR's. Our current QB has not panned out. It's a mess.

That said, the way Bielema ended recruiting last season and the way he has started out this season really has me excited. He is getting guys to look at the school that would never give it a thought. Big lineman on both sides of the ball. Got a great dual threat QB coming in this spring (graduating HS early), runs a 4.5 and can throw well. Much more of our OC's style than our current QB. We have one great and one solid DT already committed, got another 4* guy playing up near faytown that will hopefully head our way. Got two solid LB's that are interested. If we can keep this type of recruitment up we will be fine in 3 years.

I don't every want to fire a coach until he has been given a chance to recruit the players he likes for the system he wants to run. Bielema is clearly far from the players he wants here. We are very under-talented SEC wise. Give him a few years and I think he will get us to a good spot. I am very optimistic about the future if we can maintain the majority of this staff.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote Originally Posted by bama11braves View Post
    Tyler Wilson did not play against bama did. They had a backup make his first start against Bama. Game last year was a little messed up. Rained during the game and Arkansas was depleted. This is def not a lock so beware from a bama fan. We do not score or run it up a lot. I see Arkansas running the ball decent and i can see this score at like 35-10. so be careful to all those on bama
    Our current qb is terrible, our secondary is awful. I agree, could easily see 35-10. But would not surprise me to see a 42-10 or 49-10 score either

WorkHorse

Thanks Huck....I agree, at least from what I've heard from friends in Searcy, Conway and Little Rock. They believe (good football people) that given time, this staff will get the job done. Pain before gain as the old saying goes.

Different thought: Remember guys before the season started when Bielema was boasting to booster groups he had a better record in the Big Ten than Nick Saban. Nick Saban is all business about just winning the game....but if you think the little SOB doesn't have an ego....you are wrong...dead wrong. Saban can be a mean character when he feels torched.

We shall see I guess................sorry again Mr. S for too much talk. Thanks Bud!

What will it mean.....guess we shall see...................

Huckleberry Pig

Ya the one early complaint I have about Bielema is he runs his mouth a little much for me. Same with the wife. If we start winning though, I wont give two shits. Your bring up a very good point though about Saban wanting to make a statement!

TexasJayhawk
    TexasJayhawk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 273

I don't even think Arkansas scores in this affair. Bama wins it 30-0.

saints1856

Saban wont pull offensive starters till the 4th quarter I'm guessing. And if what Workhorse said is true about Bielema running his mouth... even more reason I like what I bet yesterday. Bama will get up early, then run all over Arkansas in the second half. If Ark let South Car rush for 277 against them (on their homecoming game no less), this week will be like JV vs Varsity out there.

Bama -27.5 -120

irish1
    Update your status
    irish1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5081

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Work. Great to see you back here. I thhink you are right. Saban can call the number. He has anothger good warm up nnet week hosting Tennessee, and then a week off before the LSU game that goes a lonng way in deciding the SEC West winner. I'll tell you. I think that 'Bama can handle LSU. The game that has me a bit worried is at Auburn. You know how crazy that rivalry can get, especially with the tree fiasco.
    SERIOUSLY MORE WORRIED ABOUT AUBURN THAN LSU.

saints1856

I wish all my picks were that easy....

Huckleberry Pig

Quote Originally Posted by saints1856 View Post
    I wish all my picks were that easy....
    I wish my team didn't suck that bad