HuskerExpat
    HuskerExpat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1637

Utah St. vs. San Jose St.

Can someone tell me why SJSU is +10? I have them as a small favorite. Is there something I'm missing that has changed this week, like an injury or something?

Believeland
    The Dude minds
    Believeland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 922

SJSU not as good as they were last year. Gave up 423 yards on the ground to the gophers and couldnt run at all.

HuskerExpat

True that, but they didn't really try to run and they put up 439 yards of passing. They lost to Minnesota in large part because of turnovers. So that's it, no weird injuries or issues with the team that explains this line. Just strictly no respect for SJSU?

Believeland
    The Dude minds
    Believeland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 922

I think Utah State is the better all around team myself that plays solid ball both defensively and offensively. They will also be able to run the ball against SJSU. I

dont like giving 10 to Fales who I think is an NFL like talent. Grigsby is still out for SJSU as well.

Im just rambling here with random thoughts

getthekook
    getthekook's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

i locked up utah state at -8.5 as soon as i seen it. chuckie will have a total field day vs this soft under-sized sjsu D imo..

JR007
    JR007's Avatar Become A Pro!

think the oddsmakers know they made a mistake on SJS, as a 3.5 dog against Minn

Night-Tripper
    Fade Me!
    Night-Tripper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3326

Quote Originally Posted by getthekook View Post
    i locked up utah state at -8.5 as soon as i seen it. chuckie will have a total field day vs this soft under-sized sjsu D imo..
    ​Another potential look-ahead spot. Chucky is going to be playing BYU next week.

getthekook

your all over me today lol..i personally do not beleive in look ahead games..but i respect everyones opinion BOL my friend

Night-Tripper
    Fade Me!

Quote Originally Posted by getthekook View Post
    your all over me today lol..i personally do not beleive in look ahead games..but i respect everyones opinion BOL my friend
    Nope... not all over you at all... I apologize if that's the way it's coming across. But, seeing as your first post wasn't made until today, I will refrain from making any more direct replies to you.

Before going, I want to make two observations:

• I am 95% sure that you had no idea that Utah State had (arguably) one of their two biggest in-state rivals scheduled for next week.
    • I am 100% sure that I have been legally gambling on sports longer than you have been alive.

Have a nice day!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: lonelynoob

getthekook

well sir you'd be wrong about the first. I just think people beleive in way to many gimicks in betting sports. Past means nothing, look ahead doesnt exist, & revenge factor is over rated. you have a nice day as well!

nvrlose37
    nvrlose37's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
    think the oddsmakers know they made a mistake on SJS, as a 3.5 dog against Minn
    Problem is that they were in Minny. At home they should keep this one close. Fales talent is too much to give 10. Should be a one score game.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14721

My book still has it at 9.5.
    It's going to 10.5 by game time.

HuskerExpat

I would love to get +10.5. Not sure that is going to happen. I'm watching this and will jump on +10 if it looks like it might drop down to +9.5.

I agree with you though that the public is likely to be on Utah St, and the public bets late so there is a relatively good chance any line movement will improve from the perspective of taking SJSU and the points...

JR007

lookahead is a factor

HuskerExpat

lookahead is a factor
    I would say that it is not always a factor, but it often is a factor. There are too many examples of it to just dismiss it out of hand. The problem is determining when it is going to be a factor. Probably have to look at the history of the team/coach to see how much it has historically affected one particular coach's teams in particular games. Furthermore, the lookahead factor probably plays varying roles depending on the circumstance. For instance, in 2007 Michigan opened against Appalachian St. The next week they played Oregon. Everyone remembers that Michigan lost outright to Appalachian St. Probably some of that was lookahead. By contrast, if Michigan had played Notre Dame prior to Oregon, then there likely would have been less of a lookahead factor.

In short, I have no doubt that lookahead is often a factor. The problem for me is how to determine when and how to quantify it. So I would use it merely as a lean factor when I am otherwise trying to decide a bet. As in, I already like SJSU with the points, and the lookahead factor just solidifies that thought as opposed to making me think otherwise if it were SJSU had a lookahead factor and not Utah St.

JR007

• "I am 100% sure that I have been legally gambling on sports longer than you have been alive." think, I got you beat NT, was "selling" football cards in 1969 !
    Last edited by JR007; 09-25-13 at 02:52 PM.

mcmc
    mcmc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15527

I think SJSU 's offense will threaten and accumulate more yardage vs Utah St then USC. But SJSU's D is nowhere near as stout as the Trojans. Still like SJSU. There are at +10 for me. I will see if it goes to 10 1/2.

GL

Night-Tripper
    Fade Me!

• "I am 100% sure that I have been legally gambling on sports longer than you have been alive." think, I got you beat NT, was "selling" football cards in 1969 !

bignick231
    bignick231's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 347

San Jose will cover getting 10 at home