Fred The Hammer
    Fred The Hammer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8395

+180 Friday Night Winner

SMU +180 on Friday night vs Texas Tech

Texas Tech is starting a true freshman QB in the first game of a 34 yr old head coach in Kliff Kingsbury. On the other side we have a senior QB under a very good & proven coach in June Jones. JJ also brought in offensive guru Hal Mumme to help QB Garrett Gilbert improve and open up the playbook. SMU returns a pretty good defense while TT only returns 1 total interception from last year. These factors are just too strong...if its a trap and Kingsbury ends up becoming another Urban Meyer than the jokes on me but I don't see it.

I lived in DFW for many years and its crawling with TT grads so I don't see much (or any) homefield advantage for SMU but I still think the Mustangs get it done here. I guess you could grab the +4.5-5 if you want but I'm getting greedy here.

Another smaller play I like is Western Michigan +28 vs Michigan State

WM isn't that strong but they have a senior QB and Mich State lost their entire offense with the graduation of LeVon Bell and his 35 carries/game. I see something like 30-14...ugly game but well within 4 tds.

GL!!

guy Fawkes
    guy Fawkes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

I'm also intrigued by this game. Texas Tech returns 8 on a dreadful defense and a smattering of offensive players (2 OL, 2 WR/TE, and a RB). The presumed back-up QB Brewer is, at last report, injured for a few weeks, leaving the freshman QB in a tight spot if he loses confidence or gets banged up.

SMU returns Gilbert and all but his favorite target in the receiving game, which should lead to quick cohesion. The OL is troublesome to me, but most are for the first game of the season.

I'll probably be taking the +4.5, but best of luck to you on the moneyline!

EzekielMowatt
    EzekielMowatt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

I like SMU also at this number also. SMU defense is mostly young and will be problem however some talent in secondary. Gilbert has some weapons to work with and two great offensive coaches as you said, they are gonna air it the fukk out for sure all game, every down,also word is no huddle will be used often, great matchup and should be fun.

Fred The Hammer

Down to SMU +165......don't miss it!!

How often do you get +165 with a solid coach like June Jones and a senior QB vs a 34 year old guy in his first game with a true freshman QB?

csknight3
    csknight3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1073

Kliff Kingsbury offensive schemes > SMU. Doesn't matter who is at QB. I think Tech will be fine against SMU even with a new coaching staff. They will definitely score. Don't think SMU +180 is that good of value.

Fred The Hammer

Quote Originally Posted by csknight3 View Post
    Kliff Kingsbury offensive schemes > SMU. Doesn't matter who is at QB. I think Tech will be fine against SMU even with a new coaching staff. They will definitely score. Don't think SMU +180 is that good of value.

KK got it from Hal Mumme but whatever you say. I'm betting on first game jitters....true freshman QB and Kingsbury too. Its not like TT is this far superior program with 320 lb. lineman that just runs up 300 yds rushing. They're a finessee team that needs a good (and experienced) QB.