WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Surprise Team - ACC

I've been digging into the ACC the past couple of days and will share with the forum what I think is going to be a good won/loss team this season. North Carolina State is by all accounts in a rebuilding year and few expectations. Old coach fired...new coach hired and certainly not a ton of starters returning from the team in Raleigh. I beg to differ.........

New coach Dave Doeren is one of the best young coaches in college football. He spent two seasons as head coach at Northern Illinois posting a 23-4 record. Before that he paid his dues as an assistant coach at Wisconsin, Kansas, Montana, USC and Drake where he played.

North Carolina State will play a lot of new players this season but will have a schedule to help the rebuilding process. My take is Doeren and staff will win quickly...like this season. The Wolfpack get eight games at home. Three of the road games are winnable...at Florida State on October 26 would be difficult and probably a loss.

Call me crazy but I think this team has a chance to win 9 or 10 games. Not saying they will challenge for the ACC title but might just have an influence who does.

La-Tech, Richmond, Clemson, @Wake Forest, Syracuse, @ FSU, North Carolina, @ Duke, @ Boston College, East Carolina, Maryland

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Maybe, but there are too many "if's" for me to take this team too seriously.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

BD, a lot of "ifs" for sure but there are so many positives that out weigh the negatives. First, this team won seven regular season games last year...lost bowl game to Vandy. Second, there are some decent players returning, especially the two defensive tackles who will play in the NFL. Third, easy schedule that does not include Miami, Georgia Tech or Virginia Tech.

Winnable Games: La-Tech (hm), Richmond (hm), Central Michigan (hm), Wake Forest (rd), Syracuse (hm), Duke (hm), Boston College (rd), East Carolina (hm), Maryland (hm)

Probable Losses: Clemson (hm), Florida State (rd), North Carolina (hm)

Doern has come in and let the team know the best players will play. Three starters from last year now find themselves on the second team. I like that!

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

They could come up and have a season like Virginia did two years ago. They always have some mind blowing loss or two. They are a school who should be better at football than they are. I use to work at NC State. They actually have pretty good fans that want a football winner. Their stadium situation is kind of blah tho and their facilities were pretty terrible until Amato got there. The Raleigh & Charlotte areas are pretty good recruiting grounds but are always raided by the SEC & Clemson.

Fredvic247
    Fredvic247's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 396

When Amato was there, they had some of the top athletes in the country. I remember watching these guys and was like whoooa, they got talent. Amato did recruit well and juiced up the facilities but just couldn't get it to that next level.

Doeren is solid, N. Illinois has been a staple in the top 25 under him. I for one am anxious to see what he can do in Raleigh.

JMUplayer
    Update your status
    JMUplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21752

what is over/under for 2013?