WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Can NAVY Win 9 During 2013...Yep.

First, I love the academics and especially the guys who play sports for them. These players are special because of the strict disciplines and sacrifices they have to make just to play. Playing at Navy, Army and the Air Force is totally different from playing at other schools...bigtime difference.

Kudos to Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo and his consistent success (40-26) at the Academy. With players that aren't necessarily FBS-caliber across the board, and on talent, no one is doing more with less than coach N. Navy has been to a bowl game in 10 of the last 11 seasons. They have beaten arch rival Army 11 straight years.

The schedule is managable with just four games: at Indiana, at Duke, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame against BCS caliber opponents. Having an option offense run by a wizard at quarterback helps. Also, the defense, unlike Army and Air Force has some size and depth that can rotate defensive lineman against bigger opponents.

I like this Navy team....welcome comments from the forum..........

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Last year's Army-Navy game was great. I felt so bad for Trent Steelman after Dixon fumbled on Army's final drive. Tragic ending to a college career for a kid that exemplifies the caliber of person you're talking about above.

As for Navy, Keenan Reynolds was really impressive last year, and Noah Copeland is a beast in the backfield. 3 years ago, coach N. convinced the Academy to hire a full time recruiter for the program (a position that didn't really exist before then) with the intention of bringing in a bit more talent to the program outside of their traditional recruit-from-within policy. The number of players with top talent that want to join the armed forces is still small, but they're starting to see some gains, snagging Sean Spencer this year for the DL, despite him having offers from LSU/MissSt/Ole Miss/UNC.

Nine wins is doable, but they need to come out of the gates strong against Indiana and WKU.

WorkHorse

Thanks Mr. S. I'm in the middle of a card game with a bunch of old farts and they are beginning to like you.

Thanks Bud...you are most valuable to this CFB forum...one of the few who stakes a position.

I love the offseason....time to have fun because it does not cost me a penny.

***No offseason study....cost plenty.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

I appreciate the compliments, Workhorse. I really do.

I'm definitely making a more concerned effort to get more of my research done earlier this season for both pro and college football, both so I have stronger opinions before the magazines and mass predictions come out in the media, and so I'm not struggling through the material indoors on nice, sunny days in July/August. Living where I do, so far away from any substantial CFB fanbase makes this ongoing conversation invaluable to me.

WorkHorse

You got some smarts young man. It's obvious to we ole timers you take this stuff serious. Most don't and lose their ass.

Keep that winning attitude and you will do fine my friend. Winning at this game ain't easy. Takes some time and work to figure out the good, bad and ugly. Skyriders and bullshitters shoot from the hip...they lose.

I have not had a losing season in college football in twelve years...didn't say NFL or Hockey...the two sports I make money at. College football is fun and profitable for guys who spend the time to understand teams, lines and frecken public wild swings.

I'm thinking with your attitude....you will do well...good luck.

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Okay, so I will now be participating in Workhorse's threads.

WH--- I absolutely think Navy can roll off 9 wins. I think they will lose to ND, Pitt, Duke, and SJ State. AF will be a toss up.

But they can do it. Not a big fan of Ken Niumatalolo.

WorkHorse

Sam, you know this but Notre Dame is only 3-3 against Navy the past six years.

Navy beats the Irish and pretty much makes their season.

I have my doubts about Notre Dame this season...no repeat of last season...won't happen.

SamDiamond

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    Sam, you know this but Notre Dame is only 3-3 against Navy the past six years.

Navy beats the Irish and pretty much makes their season.

I have my doubts about Notre Dame this season...no repeat of last season...won't happen.
    That is a statistic that is obviously going to get someone burned.

ND has significantly upgraded their talent level, and they toy'ed with Navy in Ireland last year, rolling them 50-10.

Comparing the talent level the last two years under Kelly v. the last 2 years under Weis is world's apart, and it starts on defense. Look at the depth ND now has, especially at RB and DL. Tuitt and Nix will completely shutdown Navy inside-- like they did last year, in fact, Tuitt scored on a 75 yard fumble recovery and he outran Navy's backfield on the play.

If you offering Navy straight up against ND---- count me as interested in the Irish.

WorkHorse

Naw...I'll admit I'm stupid many times during the CFB season...you need that assurance...run with it Bud.

You like the Irish this season...you will lose playing them every game ATS. Public will feast on last year and this team ain't last year. Just my take my friend.

nvrlose37
    nvrlose37's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just because they only play four BCS conf teams, doesnt mean they will handle the rest of their games. They blew one last year to Troy and that WKU team is going to still be good this year. I dont see 9 for this team, the option can only do so much, teams not used to it will be able to crackdown on it after a quarter or two of play.

SamDiamond

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    Naw...I'll admit I'm stupid many times during the CFB season...you need that assurance...run with it Bud.

You like the Irish this season...you will lose playing them every game ATS. Public will feast on last year and this team ain't last year. Just my take my friend.
    No one said to play ANY team every game ATS.

But there are sports/matchups to find with every team.

ND will beat Navy. Will they cover 17-20 points? Not sure, but it certainly won't surprise me.

SamDiamond

Work, I wanted to bump this because the totals numbers are available.

Navy at 6.5

I am ON THE OVER for that one.