Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sugar Bowl

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

NOTRE DAME (10-2) at LSU (10-2)

Both teams strengths are throwing the football. I am looking for LSU to take advantage of ND's weaker secondary. LSU also has the edge in the running game and should have no trouble getting that going. ND will need to force some turnovers or it's gonna be a long night for Weiss and company.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4687

No plays in the Sugar Bowl. Good luck to everyone that plays it.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

What can I say...

nosuzieno
    nosuzieno's Avatar Become A Pro!

Simliar to your analysis (which was correct) of BC v. Navy...
    A problem for me this bowl season (4-3) is that the stuff on paper just doesn't seem to be working out. I am staying with 2 more major plays: Miami and Mich. GL~

prickbeater101
    prickbeater101's Avatar Become A Pro!

I really feel if ND keeps this game within 2 TD's then this will be a monumental win for them. I know some strange things has happended this bowl season and will continue I'm sure, I can't see this game being that close. Everything I am reading around here (Baton Rouge) has said LSU is ready and fired up to be playing close to home and in front of their fans. They are focused and want to prove a point that even though they have 2 losses, they want people to realize they are truly the "best" team in the SEC. Yes Florida beat them. Yes Auburn had a couple calls very late in the game go their way, and they beat them. You people who saw that game know what I am talking about. Anyway a loss is a loss. I feel certain if a playoff system would be in place then they would be playing in the championship game. They are really playing well right now and can't wait to play in this game. I am in no ways making excuses for LSU but they feel they have something to prove in this game and that can only make us who are "backing" them feel really,really good. They wanted to play USC soooo bad and felt they got "snubbed" out of it. They are a tad bit pissed and looking to take it out on the Irish. I am close to this university as I have a friend who works for the campus police and travels with the team. You want to know the talk around this team and what is being said "off the record" well here it is. They felt they have some unsettled business with USC and will not get the opportunity to finally settle who was the best in '03 and taking that kind of personally. They wanted that Rose Bowl bid some kind of terrible. People wanted to know why I (as well as imgv) are on LSU, then this is it. He probably don't know alot of what I just wrote so hopefully this will make him feel a little better...

LSU big here....by 20 or more imo.

GL all
    Last edited by prickbeater101; 12-31-06 at 11:05 AM.

Illusion

I ended playing LSU -9 and the moneyline. Good luck everybody.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

LSU's the best team in the SEC, no doubt. If Florida hangs with OSU, I'll say LSU is the best team in the nation. It doesn't matter. Notre Dame is going to cover this game because of intangibles. There's nothing on paper that suggests ND stays within two scores. Then you look at the sideline and think, Hmm, I can get 10 points with one of the five best coaches in the country against one of the worst? I can get 10 points with a QB who makes perfect decisions against one who is incredibly erratic?
    I also harken back to how Alabama spread out LSU and passed all over them. Quinn is miles better than JP Wilson, and ND's receivers are just about as good as Alabama's. Also, the fact that the public is going against ND, which they almost never do, tells me that the Irish are the play.
    I can't get this quote out of my head. "We don't have a chance to win the game, why are we even playing it." That was Charlie Weis, clearly dripping of sarcasm. Something tells me the Irish hang around.

imgv94

LSU is simply too fast for ND..

One misconception I keep hearing is that Jamarcus Russell LSUs QB is erratic and makes a lot of mistakes. Not so true--

He has only 7 INTs compared to 26TDs.. The reason why people might believe he makes mistakes is because he made most of those mistakes in national televised games.

6 of those 7INTs were against Florida and Tenn(2 teams who have superior defenses compared to ND)

LSU has numerous players on defense that will be in the NFL soon and this defense is nasty...

The fact that this game is being played in the extremely loud Superdome located in the state of Louisana can only help as well, also factor in that carpet will assist with LSUs dominate team speed..

LSU by 20+

imgv94

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    I can get 10 points with one of the five best coaches in the country against one of the worst?
    Why is Weis considered a top 5 coach?

He has been blown out numerous times since he has been coaching ND. Horrible coach Karl Dorrell was 30 secs away from almost beating him.. Coach Carr from Michigan blew his team out by 25pts @ ND..

I think we have been too kind to Weis, in 3 years we might be calling him a rag..

imgv94

ND hasn't won a bowl game since 1994...

LSU is the right side by a MILE... ND just can't compete with quality competition..

Jan. 2, 2006 Fiesta Bowl-- Ohio St. 34, Notre Dame 20 (-14)
    Dec. 28, 2004 Insight Bowl-- Oregon St. 38, Notre Dame 21 (-17)
    Jan. 1, 2003 Gator Bowl-- N.C. State 28, Notre Dame 6 (-22)
    Jan. 1, 2001 Fiesta Bowl-- Oregon St. 41, Notre Dame 9 (-32)
    Jan. 1, 1999 Gator Bowl-- Georgia Tech 35, Notre Dame 28 (-7)
    Dec. 28, 1997 Independence Bowl-- LSU 27, Notre Dame 9 (-18)
    Jan. 1, 1996 Orange Bowl-- Florida St. 31, Notre Dame 26 (-5)
    Jan. 2, 1995 Fiesta Bowl-- Colorado 41, Notre Dame 24 (-17)
    Jan. 1, 1994 Cotton Bowl-- Notre Dame 24, Texas A&M 21
    Jan. 1, 1993 Cotton Bowl-- Notre Dame 28, Texas A&M 3
    Jan. 1, 1992 Sugar Bowl-- Notre Dame 39, Florida 28
    Jan. 1, 1991 Orange Bowl-- Colorado 10, Notre Dame 9
    Jan. 1, 1990 Orange Bowl-- Notre Dame 21, Colorado 6
    Jan. 2, 1989 Fiesta Bowl-- Notre Dame 34, West Virginia 21
    Jan. 1, 1988 Cotton Bowl-- Texas A&M 35, Notre Dame 10
    Dec. 29, 1984 Aloha Bowl-- Southern Methodist 27, Notre Dame 20
    Dec. 29, 1983 Liberty Bowl-- Notre Dame 19, Boston College 18
    Jan. 1, 1981 Sugar Bowl-- Georgia 17, Notre Dame 10
    Jan. 1, 1979 Cotton Bowl-- Notre Dame 35, Houston 34
    Jan. 2, 1978 Cotton Bowl-- Notre Dame 38, Texas 10
    Dec. 27, 1976 Gator Bowl-- Notre Dame 20, Penn St. 9
    Jan. 1, 1975 Orange Bowl-- Notre Dame 13, Alabama 11
    Dec. 31, 1973 Sugar Bowl-- Notre Dame 24, Alabama 23
    Jan. 1, 1973 Orange Bowl-- Nebraska 40, Notre Dame 6
    Jan. 1, 1971 Cotton Bowl-- Notre Dame 24, Texas 11
    Jan. 1, 1970 Cotton Bowl-- Texas 21, Notre Dame 17
    Jan. 1, 1925 Rose Bowl-- Notre Dame 27, Stanford 10

BamaDadDZ
    BamaDadDZ's Avatar Become A Pro!

Underrated LSU + Overrated Notre Dame = LSU victory! I like Notre Dame football, but LSU is really solid, and IMO the best SEC team left in the Bowl Championship Series. And I say this as a fan of the coachless Universiity of Alabama.....

prickbeater101

Razz that is an excellent point that no one can dispute and I appreciate stimulating conversation. Yes the intangibles scare me. But to me, lets look at the athletes. Who is just plain more athletic? LSU has some serious studs on both sides of the ball. I know they are really looking forward to the challenge of playing what could be the first QB taken in the draft. As far as Alabama is concerned, I know they were focused to stop the run ( Alabama gained 78 yds) and forced them to throw the ball, which they did for 291 yds and one interception. I think it surprised them Alabama threw is as much as they did. But they did it well. I must give them that. However they know what ND does well. They will be prepared for Brady Quinn and will force them to run the ball, which I don't give them a good chance in doing that. Along with how well they play in New Orleans and how much success they have in bowl games here......in 03 I took the ML against Oklahoma bypassing the +7.5 feeling they were good enough to beat the Sooners SU which they did. The only thing and I mean the only thing, that scares me about this game is that ND takes on Boise St's " us against the world" attitude and comes out plays like their lives depend on it. They could do it. I can tell you how. Change your offense and scheme and show LSU something they have never seen before and are not expecting. Throw everything but the kitchen sink at them. Trick play them to death and execute it. This is there only chance. They cannot match up against them without being extremely creative. They thought USC was good, just wait until tomorrow night. They haven't seen athletes yet...
    Last edited by prickbeater101; 01-02-07 at 06:06 PM.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

I am starting to think that ND is the sharp side here. We've had a lot of close games so far. Of the 28 games, four games landed exactly on 1. Yesterday the books made out like bandits. I don't expect ND to win but really I wouldn't be surprised if they did. They have the talent, at least offensively, and throw in the fact that LSU has been wildly inconsistent and realistically I think ND has a lot to prove in this game.

I won't be betting but I would lean to ND though....

Illusion

It certainly looks like Pinnacle has been hit hard the last couple of days with ND action. The line is currently at 8. I believe it was 10.5 the other day.

prickbeater101

Guys I love LSU here is all I am saying. I have been to alot of games this year and they are NOT as inconsistent as you may think or as much as they were last year. Russell is playing alot better. I predict them to play well tomorrow night (predict mind you) and look forward to this ballgame. Hey they still must play the game. I just hope people don't put second mortgages on the home by my strong writeup. I can't blame some for going with ND here by watching the previous bowls...been weird season for sure..

Best of Luck everybody

rta21
    rta21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 155

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    LSU's the best team in the SEC, no doubt. If Florida hangs with OSU, I'll say LSU is the best team in the nation. It doesn't matter. Notre Dame is going to cover this game because of intangibles. There's nothing on paper that suggests ND stays within two scores. Then you look at the sideline and think, Hmm, I can get 10 points with one of the five best coaches in the country against one of the worst? I can get 10 points with a QB who makes perfect decisions against one who is incredibly erratic?
    I also harken back to how Alabama spread out LSU and passed all over them. Quinn is miles better than JP Wilson, and ND's receivers are just about as good as Alabama's. Also, the fact that the public is going against ND, which they almost never do, tells me that the Irish are the play.
    I can't get this quote out of my head. "We don't have a chance to win the game, why are we even playing it." That was Charlie Weis, clearly dripping of sarcasm. Something tells me the Irish hang around.
    DID'NT FLORIDA BEAT LSU

rta21

Quote Originally Posted by BamaDadDZ
    Underrated LSU + Overrated Notre Dame = LSU victory! I like Notre Dame football, but LSU is really solid, and IMO the best SEC team left in the Bowl Championship Series. And I say this as a fan of the coachless Universiity of Alabama.....
    AGAIN HOW CAN LSU BE THE BEST TEAM IN THE SEC WHEN THEY LOST 2 GAMES IN THAT VERY CONFERENCE

rta21

yes lsu will roll but i personally dont believe u can lose 2 games and be the best team in that conference especially when u lost 2 one team that is playing for the national title, if they are so good why did they only score 6 points against auburn??? on the other hand they will kill notre lame...lol

imgv94

Quote Originally Posted by rta21
    AGAIN HOW CAN LSU BE THE BEST TEAM IN THE SEC WHEN THEY LOST 2 GAMES IN THAT VERY CONFERENCE
    They could of and should of won both games bro.. Turnovers killed LSU in the game vs Florida and the refs assisted in the game vs Auburn..

Books are just playing games with everyone with dropping the line down to +8 to get people to believe sharp $$ is on ND..

Reverse Trap cause they know LSU is the right play..

rta21

Quote Originally Posted by imgv94
    They could of and should of won both games bro.. Turnovers killed LSU in the game vs Florida and the refs assisted in the game vs Auburn..

Books are just playing games with everyone with dropping the line down to +8 to get people to believe sharp $$ is on ND..

Reverse Trap cause they know LSU is the right play..
    imgv i do believe lsu will kill notre dame but u cant say the coulda woulda card, if u did that then every top 10 team would be undefeated. u got to protect the ball in hostile enviroments and lsu could'nt in the swamp. but i do believe they r the 2nd best team in the sec only because they did'nt even win the sec west. if u cant tell im a gator fan too

imgv94

Obviously you saw the LSU/FLA game, that fumble on the 1yd line really messed up LSU for the game..

Your right LSU didn't win that game but I strongly believe the score was not indicative of what really happened...

rta21

Quote Originally Posted by imgv94
    Obviously you saw the LSU/FLA game, that fumble on the 1yd line really messed up LSU for the game..

Your right LSU didn't win that game but I strongly believe the score was not indicative of what really happened...
    yea i was at that game and that fumble swung the whole game just like that fumbled punt florida had against auburn, who cares about all this lets just break the book tomorrow night when LSU exposes fat charlie and Dr. quinn

imgv94

Yeah your right bro, we can't change what happened..

But we can change our bank accounts tomorrow!!!

AC1318
    AC1318's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

what were the scores of the 9 games Lsu and ND had?
    I know ND is 5-4 verse them

AC1318
    AC1318's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Quote Originally Posted by AC1318
    what were the scores of the 9 games Lsu and ND had?
    I know ND is 5-4 verse them

LSU 36 - NOTRE 39 Push -3.0 O 47.5 -66 -46 -20
    12/28/97 NOTRE 9 - LSU 27 LSU -6.5 U 44 83 137 -54
    11/15/97 NOTRE 24 - LSU 6 NOTRE 10 U 50 -51 -139 88
    11/22/86 NOTRE 19 - LSU 21 NOTRE 3 - - 0 0 0
    11/23/85 LSU 10 - NOTRE 7 LSU 2 U 37 0 0
    Here is 5 of 9

GUNZ-05
    GUNZ-05's Avatar Become A Pro!

LSU wins big against Notre Dame...books are in trouble...GEAUX TIGERS!!!!

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

well i won't be betting this game but since a lot of you are on LSU I'll be rooting for them...i hate ND though so it's not hard for me to do that.

However, I think ND is the right side of this game the more I look at it.

bside
    bside's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm sure this old news by now but 4 LSU players suspended

bside
    bside's Avatar Become A Pro!

NEW ORLEANS -- LSU is expected to be without two of its key players and two backups for at least the first quarter of Wednesday night's game against No. 11 Notre Dame in the Allstate Sugar Bowl at the Louisiana Superdome.

Tigers coach Les Miles suspended starting strong safety Jessie Daniels, running back/kick returner Trindon Holliday and backup linebackers Perry Riley and Kelvin Sheppard for missing curfew this week in New Orleans, an LSU official familiar with the situation said Wednesday.

An LSU official said Miles hasn't determined the length of the suspensions -- whether they will cover the first quarter, first half or entire game -- and has afforded the players ways to shorten their suspensions.

"We did have some players who violated team rules and their playing time will be affected accordingly," said LSU sports information director Michael Bonnette, who declined to identify the suspended players or the nature of their violations. "The violations were very minor in nature, but in the framework of the team they were significant."

Daniels, a senior from Breaux Bridge, La., has started the last 34 games he has played for the No. 4 Tigers, including 11 this season. He is fifth on the team with 46 tackles. Daniels would be replaced in the starting lineup by junior Craig Steltz, who had 39 tackles and a team-high four interceptions.

Holliday, a freshman from Zachary, La., emerged as one of the country's most dynamic kick returners late in the season. He had a 92-yard kickoff return for a touchdown in the fourth quarter of LSU's 31-26 win at Arkansas on Nov. 24. Holliday averages 32.4 yards on five kickoff returns and has run 13 times for 161 yards and one touchdown.

Riley, a freshman from Ellenwood, Ga., is a backup outside linebacker who had four tackles in seven games. Sheppard, a freshman from Stone Mountain, Ga., isn't listed on the team's two-deep depth chart.

Mark Schlabach covers college football and men's college basketball for ESPN.com.

STEELCURTAIN3288
    STEELCURTAIN3288's Avatar Become A Pro!

The line just shifted back to +8 I am thinking about switching my position to ND any thoughts?

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper
    sweetpete57@'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

NOTRE DAME +8!!!

Here's why:

1) As we've all learned, anything can happen in bowl games. SO, just because LSU is better, it doesn't mean as much as it would in the regular season

2) LSU is overhyped. They lost to the two best teams in the conference, they barely beat Ole MIss, and had a pitiful non-conference slate with NO BOWL TEAMS.

3) This is Quinn's last chance to shine in a huge spotlight. LSU may win, but ND's offense will keep it closer than everyone thinks

SexyMit
    SexyMit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

I would have to take ND +8 but what the hell do I know. Thougt WF should have had that game last night and then they blow it. This bowl season has been HORRIBLE for me. So therefore I am not betting and don't care who wins. I Quit betting college until next year.

BigD
    BigD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1863

I'm on ND +8

GUNZ-05
    GUNZ-05's Avatar Become A Pro!

LSU -10

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

Good luck, gentlemen. I got a "NO PLAY" on this one. Should be an entertaining game.

E

12 Last