chunk
    chunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19168

Maybe they should name the mascot Huckleberry Pig.

Huckleberry Pig
    Huckleberry Pig's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by chunk View Post
    Maybe they should name the mascot Huckleberry Pig.
    I'd be honored

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Alabama Quarterbacks

The most stable position on the Alabama football team is also the most visible. Quarterback AJ McCarron is the unquestioned leader and focal point of the offense. The fifth-year senior from Mobile already led the team to two straight national titles as the starter, and now he's looking for one more. McCarron could have gone to the NFL after last season, but wanted one more shot at a third national championship. McCarron goes into the season 25-2 as a starter. He already holds the school record for career touchdown passes with 49 and for a single season with 30. His junior season was spectacular in terms of efficiency. He led the nation in passer rating at 175.28 and went 291 pass attempts without an interception, the second longest sreak in SEC history.

Behind McCarron is a large group of passers with degrees of experience. Junior Blake Sims returns as McCarron's backuup from last season. He saw some playing time to prepare him in case of a McCarron injury. Alex Morris was redshirted last season and is ready to challenge for the reserve role. Three incoming freshmen round out the group. Cooper Bateman is a 4 star recruit from Utah who was rated the No. 3 pocket passer by ESPN and No. 5 pro-style quarterback by 247 Sports. Parker McLeod and Luke Del Rio are also highly regarded prospects. All three joined the program in January to get a head start on learning the system. Alabama also has sophomore Edward Aldag and junior Matt Sandlin on the roster.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Alabama Receivers

Alabama football coach Nick Saban has a good problem when it comes to his receivers. With so many talented and proven on the roster, it's going to be a challenge for him to find enough playing time for all of them. Ninety-five percent of the receiving production returns from last season. Only starting tight end Michael Williams was lost to graduation. All three starting receivers return, led by sophomore Amari Cooper. He was a consensus freshman All-American and set the Alabama freshman records for receptions with 59 and receiving yards with 1,000, and the single season school record for receiving touchdowns with eleven. Fellow starters senior Kevin Norwood and junior Christion Jones will join Cooper in what should be a potent passing attack. Junior DeAndrew White and senior Kenny Bell return from injuries to complicate the playing time issue. Both have plenty of experience and have been productive. Bell is a speedster who led the team with a 25.4 yards per catch average before he suffered a broken leg in

the Iron Bowl against Auburn. White was a starter for the first five games before a knee injury sidelined him. As for overall depth, Alabama has 14 receivers and nine tight ends on the roster to develop for the future and prepare for this season. Saban has hinted that he might open up the passing game more this season. Taking a look at the wide receivers depth chart.

Split End: Amari Cooper (6-1, 202, So), Chris Black (5-11, 185, FS fr), Raheem Falkins (6-4, 203, fr), Parker Barrineau (6-0, 183, So), Jeremy Watson (6-1, 190, Sr)

Flanker: Kevin Norwood (6-2, 195, Sr), Kenny Bell (6-1, 180, Sr), ArDarius Stewart (6-0, 190, Fr), Tyler Bass (5-10, 175, Sr), Ty Reed (6-1, 190, Sr)

Slotback: DeAndrew White (6-0, 185, Jr0, Christion Jones (5-11, 185, Jr), Robert Foster (6-3, 190, Fr), Dustin Ellison (6-0, 175, Jr), Jared Watson (6-0, 175, Sr)
    - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Alabama Special Teams Quick-Hits

*Senior Cabe Foster (6-1, 225) is competing with freshman Adam Griffin (5-10, 185) for the field goal kicker's job. Saban has indicated that using both as he did with Shelly and Foster last year remains an option.

*Adam Griffin is the wild card in this formula. The Georgia native signed with Alabama as the No. 1 rated high school kicker according to Scout.com.

*Cabe Folster has a booming leg . He connected on three field goals of 50 yards or longer and had 46 touchbacks on kickoffs.

*Punter Cody Mandell (6-4, 215) thrived last year while most important saving his best efforts for the biggest games. Mandell averaged 44.3 yards on 50 punts last year and ranked 17th in the nation in net punting.

*The return game is also loaded with experienc as Christion Jones, Cyrus Jones and Dee Hart all proved to be capable at the position.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

WorkHorse

SEC Stadiums

The Southeastern Conference has some of the nicest, largest football stadiums in the nation. On gameday, most are filled to capacity with loyal fans. Listed below is a snapshot on each stadium.

Tiger Stadium (LSU) 92,542 - One of the loudest atmospheres in the nation...especially night games where the fans have partied all day. A $70 million renovation is underway to push capacity over 100,000.

Stanford Stadium (Georgia) 92,746 - Not the biggest or loudest in the sEC but one of the most beautiful.

Neyland Stadium (Tennessee) 102,455 - The double deck totally enclosed seating makes it one of the loudest places to watch a game...at least it use to be.

Kyle Field (Texas A&M) 82,589 - Now under a $450 million renovation, the stadium will become the largest in the SEC at nearly 103,000 seating.

Bryant-Denny Stadium (Alabama) 101,821 - One of the most intimidating venues for opponents and one of the most luxurious places to watch a game.

Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (Florida) 88,548 - Nickname "The Swamp", few places are as intimidating as hot and humid as the Gators home.

Razorback Stadium (Arkansas) 72,000 - One of the most underated home atmospheres. Has the nations second largest video board. Planned renovations will push seating over 80,000.

Jordan Hare Stadium (Auburn) 87,451 - Old stadium with plenty of character. The small town of Auburn adds to the scene around the stadium on game days.

Williams-Brice Stadium (South Carolina) 80,250 - Recent upgrades to the tailgating areas and stadium itself have elevated the stadium into the upper echelon of SEC venues.

Vaught-Hemingway Stadium (Ole Miss) 60,580 - Third oldest stadium in the SEC has a great atmosphere for tailgating at "The Grove", located near to the playing field.

Davis Wade Stadium (Mississippi State) 55,082 - A $75 million expansion to be completed before the 2014 season will push capacity to 61,337.

Memorial Stadium (Missouri) 71,009 - Missouri is doing everything it can to make its atmosphere and gameday experience match its big-time SEC rivals. Over the next two years, capacity will be expanded to 77,000.

Commonwealth Stadium (Kentucky) 67,692 - When the team is good, the Big Blue Nation is as loud and passionate as any stadium in the nation with less than 70,000 seats. Unfortunately, they are not good often.

Vanderbilt Stadium (Vanderbilt) 40,350 - The small alumni base and single-tiered stadium lacks the pageantry and passion of every other SEC venue.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SEC/NFL Underclassman

The SEC lost a record 33 underclassmen to the NFL draft, 23 more than a year ago. LSU was hit hardest with 11 departures, including defensive ends Sam Montgomery and Barkevious Mingo, running backs Spencer Ware and Michael Ford, three defensive backs and a punter. Tennessee and Florida lost four each, Alabama and Georgia three, Arkansas, South Carolina and Texas A&M two, and Missouri and Auburn one each. The Vols lost the most skill on offense in quarterback Tyler Bray and receivers Justin Hunter and Cordarrell Patterson. The Gators are without defensive tackle Sharrif Elam and tight end Jordan Reed. Alabama lost cornerback Dee Milliner, running back Eddie Lacy and offensive tackle D.J. Fluker. Georgia is minus linebackers Jarvis Jones and Alex Ogletree, and nose tackle Kwame Geathers. Other key losses were offensive tackle Luke Joeckel at Texas A&M, running back Marcus Lattimore at South Carolina, defensive end Core Lemonier at Auburn, defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson at Missouri and running back Knile Davis at Arkansas.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Auburn - Number One Priority

Nothing is more important to the outcome of Auburn's 2013 season than who earns the starting quarterback job. Head coach Gus Malzahn called naming a starter the "No. 1 priority," and he'll have four candidates to choose from once practice starts August 2. Junior college transfer Nick Marshall is the presumed favorite to land the starting job. The former Georgia cornerback flipped back to playing quarterback at Garden City (Kansas) C.C. last season and threw for 3,142 yards with 18 touchdowns, but he also threw 20 interceptions while rushing for 1,095 yards and 10 touchdowns. The Georgia high school record holder for career touchdown passes and the 2010 state Class A Offensive Player of the Year will need to show his decision making on and off the field has improved. His 20 interceptions in junior college won't work in the SEC and his reported stealing from teammates' lockers which led to his dismissal from Georgia in 2011 can't repeat either. His competition starts with returnees Jonathan Wallace and Kiehl Frazier. Wallace was the best Tigers quarterback in 2012, but his strongest play came against inferior opponents. He showed far greater command of the hurry-up, no-huddle offense during spring practice and outdueled Frazier on A-Day. Frazier is coming off a disastrous 2012 and did not have a good showing during the spring game. The other newcomer to the QB competition is freshman Jeremy Johnson, from nearby Montgomery. The tallest of the four, Johnson will get a good look when camp opens. All "War Eagle" eyes will be on this quarterback competition come August.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

WorkHorse

****(OUTSIDE THE SEC)****- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I came across an interesting NFL stat today regarding the Super Bowl winner playing their first regular season game the following year. Notice the last nine games on the list were played at home.

2003: Tampa Bay +3 (W 17-0) at Philadelphia
    2004: New England -3 (W 27-24) vs Indianapolis
    2005: New England -7.5 (W 30-20) vs Oakland
    2006: Pittsburgh -1 (W 28-17) vs Miami
    2007: Indianapolis -5.5 (W 41-10) vs New Orleans
    2008: NY Giants -4.5 (W 16-7) vs Washington
    2009: Pittsburgh -6.5 (W 13-10) vs Tennessee
    2010: New Orleans -5 (W 14-10) vs Minnesota
    2011: Green Bay -5 (W 42-34) vs New Orleans
    2012: NY Giants -5 (L 17-24) vs Dallas
    2013: Baltimore +8.5 at Denver ???

(10-1 straight up....6-3-1 against the spread) For what its worth.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

WorkHorse

LSU vs TCU

I like LSU -6.5 in this game. The key for the Tigers is to run the ball effectively so to take pressure off quarterback Zack Mettenberger...allowing him to manage the game rather than having to win it by just passing. The LSU offense is built around its running game and deep backfield. That formula will continue to be utilized despite some key player losses from last year. That's how the Tigers roll down in Baton Rouge. Until the receivers prove they can catch the ball on a consistent basis...LSU will continue to be what it is...a low scoring, defensive minded operation.

I'm not so sure LSU is the best team for TCU to be opening with considering starting quarterback Casey Pachall missed all of last season because of drug problems. He showed a lot of rust in the spring and I expect the same against a good LSU defense. To have any chance of winning, the Horned Frogs have to stop the run and get pressure on Mettenberger. One problem facing TCU is their best defensive player (DE Devonte Fields) has been suspended for this game and to me that is huge. Fields is the best defensive end in the country not named Clowney. He had 10 of TCU's 29 sacks last season and had 19 tackles for loss. For his efforts, he was named Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. Not having to double team Fields will give LSU more confort on the offensive line.

I'm not suggesting/recommending anyone play this game one way or the other but I lean the Tigers by 10 plus.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Huckleberry Pig

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    LSU vs TCU

I like LSU -6.5 in this game. The key for the Tigers is to run the ball effectively so to take pressure off quarterback Zack Mettenberger...allowing him to manage the game rather than having to win it by just passing. The LSU offense is built around its running game and deep backfield. That formula will continue to be utilized despite some key player losses from last year. That's how the Tigers roll down in Baton Rouge. Until the receivers prove they can catch the ball on a consistent basis...LSU will continue to be what it is...a low scoring, defensive minded operation.

I'm not so sure LSU is the best team for TCU to be opening with considering starting quarterback Casey Pachall missed all of last season because of drug problems. He showed a lot of rust in the spring and I expect the same against a good LSU defense. To have any chance of winning, the Horned Frogs have to stop the run and get pressure on Mettenberger. One problem facing TCU is their best defensive player (DE Devonte Fields) has been suspended for this game and to me that is huge. Fields is the best defensive end in the country not named Clowney. He had 10 of TCU's 29 sacks last season and had 19 tackles for loss. For his efforts, he was named Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. Not having to double team Fields will give LSU more confort on the offensive line.

I'm not suggesting/recommending anyone play this game one way or the other but I lean the Tigers by 10 plus.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Great write up and you're right, not having to face Fields will be huge for LSU

Huckleberry Pig

Also keep in mind that this game will be played at Jerry World and should not be considered a home game for TCU. If anything, I think there will be more LSU fans there than TCU fans. LSU already has a solid base in Dallas and they travel extremely well, esp to Dallas. I remember when they played Oregon here (Dallas native, moved back after college) two years ago the place was crawling with LSU fans.

Just saying, don't expect this to be a home game atmosphere for TCU. If anything, it may feel more like a road game for them in terms of noise.

WorkHorse

Thanks Huck. Just offering my view on this game and all can judge for themselves. I like this TCU team and think they will have a good season. I just feel the timing of opening against LSU is a disadvantage for them. I'm thinking with new offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, the Tigers will offer a few new wrinkles for the Frogs. Miles is going to run the ball but he desperately would like to improve the passing attack. Two good hard hitting teams and I'm looking forward to watching it on TV.

You are right about a neutral site even though its just down the road from Fort Worth. LSU fans will be there in large numbers.

Huckleberry Pig

Thanks Huck. Just offering my view on this game and all can judge for themselves. I like this TCU team and think they will have a good season. I just feel the timing of opening against LSU is a disadvantage for them. I'm thinking with new offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, the Tigers will offer a few new wrinkles for the Frogs. Miles is going to run the ball but he desperately would like to improve the passing attack. Two good hard hitting teams and I'm looking forward to watching it on TV.

You are right about a neutral site even though its just down the road from Fort Worth. LSU fans will be there in large numbers.
    100% agree with you on everything you're saying. I like LSU anything under -7. This game will likely be a play for me as well.

Is this one of your workhorse plays you were describing earlier?

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Les Miles is facing huge pressure to kick RB Jeremy Hill off the team permanently. The guys is a rapist, amongst other things. In California, he would be serving a life sentence for raping a 14 year old. Miles will lose all respect as a head coach if he allows this piece of crap to stay on the team. Miles is delaying until August 16th, when this a**hole must go back to court because he was arrested for sucker punching some guy and plead guilty to a misdomenor. The court will determine if he violated his probation. This guy belongs in prison or the morgue, not on a fooball field.

WorkHorse

No, this is not a Workhorse Play. There will only be a handful (12 to 20) of posted WH plays and they will be labeled as such.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

****(OUTSIDE THE SEC)**** - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Wisconsin Blowout Against UMass

Wisconsin will be one of the better teams in the country this season. Their opponent opening week will be one of the worst...maybe the worst. The Badgers went through some injuries and growing pains last year but still made it to the Rose Bowl. This 2013 team does have a new coach but has a veteran group of players who provide a great deal of promise. This looks like another typical Wisconsin team capable of putting up some impressive numbers both on offense and defense. James White will step in at running back with little dropoff from last year. The defensive front seven was strong during 2012 and will be stronger this year. Improving the pass game will be important in league play, but will not matter against an overmatched UMass team.

UMass went 1-11 during their first year as a FBS program. They averaged only 12 points per game and during a three game stretch (BG, Vandy, UNI) were outscored 136-7. This team is just way outmanned and overmatched against Wisconsin.

My lean is Wisconsin -43.5 . Could get nasty in the first half. For your consideration only...welcome your comments.

Huckleberry Pig

No, this is not a Workhorse Play. There will only be a handful (12 to 20) of posted WH plays and they will be labeled as such.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

****(OUTSIDE THE SEC)**** - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Wisconsin Blowout Against UMass

Wisconsin will be one of the better teams in the country this season. Their opponent opening week will be one of the worst...maybe the worst. The Badgers went through some injuries and growing pains last year but still made it to the Rose Bowl. This 2013 team does have a new coach but has a veteran group of players who provide a great deal of promise. This looks like another typical Wisconsin team capable of putting up some impressive numbers both on offense and defense. James White will step in at running back with little dropoff from last year. The defensive front seven was strong during 2012 and will be stronger this year. Improving the pass game will be important in league play, but will not matter against an overmatched UMass team.

UMass went 1-11 during their first year as a FBS program. They averaged only 12 points per game and during a three game stretch (BG, Vandy, UNI) were outscored 136-7. This team is just way outmanned and overmatched against Wisconsin.

My lean is Wisconsin -43.5 . Could get nasty in the first half. For your consideration only...welcome your comments.
    I try to stay away from spreads that large but it is tempting

WorkHorse

Good for you Huck. Please understand that I will offer writeups with situations I like, but I am not telling anyone who to play one way or the other. Each poster should do their own study and make their own selections accordingly.

The only picks I will recommend on SEC Notebook are the Workhorse plays mentioned earlier. If I go 0 for 20 with them, I will claim them because I thought they were strong enough to help others win money here. Other than that, I'm just offering information for those interested to consider.
    Last edited by WorkHorse; 07-29-13 at 12:52 PM.

Huckleberry Pig

Good for you Huck. Please understand that I will offer writeups with situations I like, but I am not telling anyone who to play one way or the other. Each poster should do their own study and make their own selections accordingly.

The only picks I will recommend on SEC Notebook are the Workhorse plays mentioned earlier. If I go 0 for 20 with them, I will claim them because I thought they were strong enough to help others win money here. Other than that, I'm just offering information for those interested to consider.
    totally understand and thanks for the updates/leans! Would never blame anyone if I were to make a bet based on your pick either. I'm the one who makes the bet, my hand was never forced.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Wisky is nothing more than a pass for me until they play an away game at Arizona State. Then we will see what they really have. They have a very soft schedule, but a loss to ASU and to Ohio State on the road will pretty much end their season, as far as a BCS Bowl goes.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-r...osts-pic-wads/

University of Alabama football signee Dee Liner created an Internet buzz this weekend when he posted a picture of himself holding wads of cash on Instagram (since deleted) with two other people.

Unreal

Huckleberry Pig

could just be their stipend to buy books.....

WorkHorse

Dane, you have been a positive contributor here at the Notebook and I appreciate you sir. I'm trying to go a different direction now that we are closer to the season and offer more team information/game analysis material in this thread and would ask post like your last one be placed in the main football forum.

Thanks Bud.
    Last edited by WorkHorse; 07-29-13 at 05:07 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Urbanwildlife

Huckleberry Pig

****(OUTSIDE THE SEC)****- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I came across an interesting NFL stat today regarding the Super Bowl winner playing their first regular season game the following year. Notice the last nine games on the list were played at home.

2003: Tampa Bay +3 (W 17-0) at Philadelphia
    2004: New England -3 (W 27-24) vs Indianapolis
    2005: New England -7.5 (W 30-20) vs Oakland
    2006: Pittsburgh -1 (W 28-17) vs Miami
    2007: Indianapolis -5.5 (W 41-10) vs New Orleans
    2008: NY Giants -4.5 (W 16-7) vs Washington
    2009: Pittsburgh -6.5 (W 13-10) vs Tennessee
    2010: New Orleans -5 (W 14-10) vs Minnesota
    2011: Green Bay -5 (W 42-34) vs New Orleans
    2012: NY Giants -5 (L 17-24) vs Dallas
    2013: Baltimore +8.5 at Denver ???

(10-1 straight up....6-3-1 against the spread) For what its worth.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Keep in mind Baltimore lost A LOT during the offseason. I just don't see how they go into Denver and stop Denver's offense

WorkHorse

Alabama Linebackers

Defense has been the cornerstone of Alabama football through the years and this season will be no different. The core of this year's defense will be the linebackers. Four with significant starting experience spearhead the group, which is loaded with talent and depth for this season and the future. Senior C.J. Mosley (6-2, 235) is the leader of the group. He nearly doubled the amount of tackles of his closest teammate last year with 107. That was the most by any Crimson Tide defender since 2003. Junior Trey DePriest (6-2, 248) is the other inside linebacker and second leading tackler from a year ago. Mosley and DePriest inside should make running difficult for opponents. Junior Adrian Hubbard (6-6, 255) returns on the outside as the third regular starter. He's a tenacious pass rusher and led the team in sacks last season. Junior Xzavier Dickson played an important reserve role and started six games last season. He had 33 tackles, five for loss, and 4 sacks during 2012. Backing the front group up are Denzel Devall, Reggie Ragland and Tana Patrick. Those three could start on most teams in the SEC. Young players to watch include Ryan Anderson, Dillon Lee and 5-star recruit Reuben Foster. Foster is a stud and will see a lot of time on special teams. Another solid linebacking corp for the Tide.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -

Heads Up

Everyone knows the south is hot and humid, especially during August and September. With regards to the heat and how the hot humidity might be a factor in a game...I look at Toledo traveling to Florida on August 30. This is a 12:20 kickoff and the predicted temperture for the game is 90 degrees. According to the weather channel, Toledo will open practice camp with tempertures in the mid to high 70s. It ain't going to be in the 70s in Gainesville, that's for damn sure. Last year, Toledo took Arizona to overtime in their first game...lets see how they do against the Gators as 20.5 point dogs down in "The Swamp Furnance."
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mississippi State

The Bulldogs started last season on fire and then went ice cold losing five of their last six games. The Dawgs enter this season needing leadership and for young replacement players to grow up in a hurry. Mississippi State only has ten seniors on the roster. The inexperience could show on a defensive unit that lost its leading tackler and two cornerbacks taken in the second round of the NFL draft. New defensive coordinator Geoff Collins needs some players to grow up in a hurry, especially before entering the SEC grind. The offense returns Tyler Russell (2,897 passing yards 2012) and four O-line starters with a lot of talent. Senior Gabe Jackson is considered a probable first round draft choice. Center Dillion Day is one of the better players at his position in the SEC. The potential problem for the offense is that 75 percent of the receiving yards are no longer around. The new listed receiver starters have a total of 32 catches for 325 yards. With a schedule that includes Oklahoma State, Alabama, Texas A&M, South Carolina and LSU, strong leadership will be a defining factor on this team.

**My friend Urbanwildlife has a good thread discussing the Mississippi State/Oklahoma opener. Check it out on the football forum.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Florida junior QB Jeff Driskel had appendectomy surgery on Tuesday and could miss two weeks.

The Gators begin fall practice on Friday, though Driskel's two-week timetable mentioned by coach Will Muschamp would have the signal caller on the field for the second week of camp. If Driskel requires more than two weeks to recover, fans and the media will be treated to either Skyler Mornhinweg or Tyler Murphy running the first team on August 15, Florida's first scheduled open practice. Driskel should be just fine to greet Toledo on Saturday, August 31, the first game of the season.

WorkHorse

Good heads up Blazer...my gang had not heard that about Driskel.

Probably won't make much difference in the outcome of the opener vs Toledo but for us sporting men...could be important...especially if there is a slow recovery.

For the Gators to be a factor in the SEC East...Driskel must be a factor. Of course he will be fine once entering the SEC grind.

WorkHorse

Auburn Offensive Line

After a bad 2012 season, the Tigers' offensive line is hoping to bounce back in 2013 with four returning starters from a pro-style offense that is transitioning to the hurry-up, no-huddle variety. Auburn allowed 37 sacks last season, ranking 12th in the SEC overall. On a per-game basis, the Tigers were tied for 109th nationally with 3.08 sacks allowed. The change back to Malzahn's offense and what is expected to be a far more consistent quarterback picture this season will only help lower the losses of yardage. Still, Auburn produced a 1,000 yard rusher last season despite the line's struggles. Only RG John Sullen departs from last season and that could be addition by subtraction. While center Reese Dismukes (6-3,290,Jr) is Auburn's greatest strength on the line, the lack of depth behind him is also the Tigers' greatest weakness on the offense. Backup center Tunde Fariyike (6-2,307,Jr) struggled with shotgun snaps in 2012 and had some bad snaps during spring drills. If something happens to Dismukes, the offense could hit a wall unlike if any other player were to go down. Greg Robinson (6-5,315,So) is an improving tackle on the blind side, and Chad Slade (6-5,310,Jr) is a capable start at right guard. The right tackle spot could be an open competition between Patrick Miller (6-7,285 So) and Avery Young (6-6,315,So) all over again. Young opened 2012 as the starter but went down with season ending shoulder surgery and Miller had his bumps in the road as SEC defensive ends regularly had their way with him. The competition at left guard might be an ongoing contest as Alex Kozan, Jordan Diamond and Devonte Danzey all spent time with the first team during the spring. Deon Mix, a 4-star recruit out of Mississippi was the only offensive line signee in 2013 and he'll play guard. Most believe this year's edition will be much more productive than last year. Finding a capable backup at center is a must.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Alabama Offensive Line

The only thing that could hold back the Alabama football team this season is if the offensive linemen don't produce. The coaches and players know it, so their development has been of utmost importance during the summer. Coach Saban felt during the SEC Media Days that the line has come along well since spring practice. Losing three All-Americans off the line can cause some concern. It wasn't just their ability and experience that was lost, it was the cohesiveness of the unit. Senior right guard Anthony Steen and junior left tackle Cyrus Kouandjio are the returning starters and both will be high NFL draft picks. Kouandjio is the vocal leader, while Steen is the one-on-one guy with his young teammates. The two offer valuable experience and leadership for the group. Sophomore Ryan Kelly will start at center. He came off the bench to play in 12 games last season and has earned the respect of McCarron and his teammates. Competition continues at the left guard with Arie Kouandjio, Kellen Williams and Chad Lindsey. Right tackle is being contested between Austin Shepherd and JUCO Leon Brown. Others who are in contention for playing time include Brandon Greene, Caleb Gulledge, Issac Luatua and Alphonse Taylor. With a veteran quarterback, outstanding running backs and deep talented receiver corp, I'm thinking this 2013 offensive line will be just fine.

**For a much more detailed summary on Alabama's O-Line...check out Jimmydafreak's writeup in the Alabama -20 thread located in the college football forum.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Jimmydafreak

WorkHorse

Georgia

I expect senior QB Aaron Murray to have a big season this year. One reason are the players around him and the other is that's the way his career has trended so far: 3,049 yards and 24 touchdowns as a freshman, 3,149 yards and 35 touchdowns as a sophomore, and 3,893 yards and 36 touchdowns as a junior. The only reason his numbers might go down will be if Georgia decides to be more run-oriented, which it could with Todd Gurley (6-1, 222) and Keith Marshall (5-11, 216) running the ball behind a veteran offensive line. The Dawgs could play a little more conservatively and rely on running the football. Gurley and Marshall are big, fast, strong backs and offer Georgia more options than just relying on Murray's arm.

The main issue for the defense is the secondary. Georgia plays a nickel package probably 80 percent of the time and they lost four of the five starters to graduation (all now in NFL camps). Heading into the opener with Clemson, true freshman Trey Matthews (a stud who went through spring practice) is slated to start at free safety and there will be first year starters at the other three positions. Junior Damian Swann is the only returning starter and he has All-SEC written all over him. This area could be a liability, especially early in the season.

I go back to running backs Gurley (1,415 yds, 17 tds) and Keith Marshall (781 yds, 8 tds). It is likely Richt will want to keep the defense off the field as much as possible and running the ball and moving the chains does just that. Against Clemson, Murray will get his throws but look for a lot of carries from the running backs. Establish the run and play action passes can be a dangerous weapon.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Huckleberry Pig

Great Points workhorse. I'm really tempted to take Georgia + points here. When will you see them at plus points the rest of the season? Prob not until the SEC Championship game. However, I really think Clemson can beat Georgia here and I could see it being by a field goal or late TD. Clemson D was not great last year, expect it to be a high scoring affair.

Might just sit back and watch this one.

WorkHorse

Georgia will make Clemson stop the run...to me that's the key to this game. Gurley will get a workout...guarantee you. Also, Clemson will miss Andre Ellington. He was a good back for them.

The barometer for Clemson is how Tajh Boyd plays. When he plays well, Clemson is hot. When he doesn't play well, Clemson has problems. Lot of pressure on Boyd in this one.

Huckleberry Pig

Georgia will make Clemson stop the run...to me that's the key to this game. Gurley will get a workout...guarantee you. Also, Clemson will miss Andre Ellington. He was a good back for them.

The barometer for Clemson is how Tajh Boyd plays. When he plays well, Clemson is hot. When he doesn't play well, Clemson has problems. Lot of pressure on Boyd in this one.
    couldn't agree more - it will also be important for Georgia to get pressure on him without having to blitz. If they can get consistent pressure from their DL on Boyd when he drops back, I think Georgia takes this one.

DvdBonan
    DvdBonan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1290

what are your thoughts on the ole miss vandy opener? I am kind of feeling Mississippi in this one. I know both teams finished the season extremely hot but watching ole miss go into Death Valley at the end of the season and willing themselves to victory really showed me something last year... I know they are young but Ole Miss did bring in the best recruiting class with guys who are expected to contribute right from the start

WorkHorse

Closing shop my friends. Let me say thanks to so many of you guys who really enjoy college football and who have been loyal to this thread during the off season. SBR brass has a better future for CFB this season and not something I want to be apart us. Seems PLAYERS TALK guys are more important than many of you and I who take this sport seriously. SBR is a good place...can't excuse dumbass leadership.

Good luck...moved across the street where the College Football Forum is about guys who like to talk the game.

Thank you men!

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

Closing shop my friends. Let me say thanks to so many of you guys who really enjoy college football and who have been loyal to this thread during the off season. SBR brass has a better future for CFB this season and not something I want to be apart us. Seems PLAYERS TALK guys are more important than many of you and I who take this sport seriously. SBR is a good place...can't excuse dumbass leadership.

Good luck...moved across the street where the College Football Forum is about guys who like to talk the game.

Thank you men!
    So ur moving across to EOG/TheRX? what happened with u and SBR management? I appreciate all the info u put out Workhorse

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Well shit

Huckleberry Pig

Thank you men!
    where is across the street? I'll join

Jimmydafreak
    Jimmydafreak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry Pig View Post
    where is across the street? I'll join
    Blankets

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I do not think that he is allowed to mention which book is "across the street", but I do not believe that it is the Rx, because Work had problems there with the mods. Send him an IM and see if you get a response.

First ... 23456 Last