mrsolodolo21
    mrsolodolo21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7319

Iowa @ Indiana (-1.5)

Leaning Indiana -1.5 in this one, and here's why.

Iowa's defense has struggled against teams that can pass the ball. Radcliff of Central Michigan went 26/35 283 yards 2 TD 0 INT, and Iowa lost that game. Matt McGloin of PSU went 26/38 289 yards 2 TD 0 INT in a 38-14 rout in Iowa City. Indiana's pass offense ranks #30 in the nation. Regardless of who is QB, Coffman or the surprising freshman Sudfield, they should find holes in that Iowa secondary.

At first glance, it appears that Indiana struggles at defending the run, as they rank #114 in rushing yards per game allowed. However, majority of those yards were given up to teams like Northwestern, Ohio State, and Navy. All of these teams run the ball much differently than Iowa. Northwestern and Ohio State have mobile QB's that run the zone-read option. Navy runs the ball 75% of the time with their triple option attack. Iowa has a downhill, I-formation running game that is similar to Michigan State. Indiana held MSU and their stud running back, Bell, to only 2.9 yards per carry. Also, Iowa's lone bright spot on offense, RB Weisman, is doubtful to play in this game. If Indiana can limit the Hawkeyes on the ground, I'm not sure Vandenberg can keep Iowa in it with his arm.

All of a sudden, Indiana has a lot to play for in the Big Ten Leaders division. After Wisconsin's loss last week, Indiana is now in the mix to challenge the Badgers for a spot in the Big Ten title game. They should be fired up and ready to go in this game. Meanwhile, Iowa is sliding out of contention in their division. They are banged-up and playing back to back road games, and they struggle away from home as is.

Urbanwildlife
    Urbanwildlife's Avatar Become A Pro!

Very nice summary of this game, and I have to agree with you!

cmval
    pokerz
    cmval's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

I wanted to jump on this side but I am staying away. Here is why, first off it is a letdown spot for Indiana who just won a conference game for the first time in quite a while. It is not like this team is just going to start popping off wins like a good team can. They have some offense but the defense is weak overall. Beating Illinois is nothing. Second as far as Iowa is concerned it would be a disaster for Kirk Ferentz to lose to Indiana who is one of the perennial bottom dwellers in the B1G. I think Iowa has the better coach and better talent overall on their team. Not saying Indiana cant win cause they are obv the favorite at home but I cannot consistently put money on a team that has only won a single conference game in a long time. I had Indiana winning last week (large) but this week have to stay away.

mrsolodolo21

Why can't Indiana start beating mediocre big ten teams (like Iowa)? Because they haven't in the past several years? They lost by 3 to Ohio State and 4 to Michigan State after leading for majority of that game. The took care of business last week when they should've. I understand there are inconsistencies that come with a young team, but are they less consistent than this 2012 Iowa team? I really don't think so.

cmval
    pokerz
    cmval's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

And Iowa beat Michigan State

Iowa has defense. Indiana has no defense. Look at the points Indiana has let some of these other schools rack up on em. Look at the points Iowa has given up.

After looking at this game more I might actually drop some $ on Iowa.

Indiana and Illinois are by far the worst teams in the B1G and people are just over hyping this Indiana team after 1 measly conference win.

mrsolodolo21

How is Iowa going to generate offense to keep up with Indiana?

Urbanwildlife

That is the thing, they are not going to, because they can't.

Mr. Doughnut
    Mr. Doughnut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1778

IU fan here with some more info for you (from someone who has been to every game the past 4 years):

- IU plays Iowa VERY well. Near upsets, and even an upset, when IU was awful and Iowa was top 20, even top 10.
    - IU has struggled against mobile QBs.
    - IU's D is young and getting better by the week. They are strongest when they can pack the box against a terrible throwing qb (teams like MSU)
    - I usually don't bet based on this...but the MO(mentum). Should be a full house (we don't see many of those in Bloomington when it comes to football). IU wins this weekend, and the next game @ home vs Wisky is for the LEAD in the DIVISON. Yes, IU is one win away from going into a game that will decide the division and a possible trip to the B1G championship game (for all intents and purposes)

Yes, an IU fan here, but I think they are a GREAT bet this weekend. I've only put money on them twice this year (UMASS and MSU) and this game fits the same mold as Iowa. Plus no monkey on their back after finally eeking out a win @Ill.

Urbanwildlife

Very nice post Mr. Doughnut!

Murray Rothbard
    Scared Money Don't Make Money
    Murray Rothbard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 512

I am also leaning on IU. I watched some of that NWester v Iowa game and Iowa looked pretty bad. They couldn't stop the rush from what I could see. On the other hand I don't know much about IU except that they have played some pretty good teams tight.