BlacK_HazE
    #FEARtheSPEAR
    BlacK_HazE's Avatar Become A Pro!

This week we all find out how overrated WVU is...

West Virginia's Wins thus far

Marshall

Teams Played: Western Carolina, Rice, Ohio, Purdue
    Passing Defense: 1,355 yards allowed (90th ranked)
    Points against: 44.4 (124th ranked)
    Total Defense: 2,497 yards allowed; 495.8 yards a game (115th ranked)

Maryland
    Teams Played: William & Mary, Temple, Uconn
    Passing Defense: 711 yards allowed (18th ranked)
    Total Defense: 1,045 yards allowed; 261.25 yards a game (8th ranked)
    Points against 22.0 (47th ranked nationally)

Baylor
    Teams Played: SMU, Sam Houston St, ULMPassing Defense: 1,601 yards allowed (120th ranked)
    Points against 39.8 (115th ranked nationally)
    Total Defense: 2,285 yards allowed; 571.50 yards a game (120th ranked)

(Excluding James Madison for obvious reasons)

When you examine West Virginia closely it's easy to see that out of all top 10 teams (and probably top 25) they are the most unproven. Not taking anything away from Geno Smith and his video game like #'s but this offense is untested and we do not really know how talented they really are going up against an elite defense. The last time West Virginia played an elite defense similar to what they will see this Saturday was last year against LSU (& no I am not saying that Texas' D is as talented as LSU's look @ their schedule from a year ago). In addition, West Virginia's defense ranks 96th nationally in ppg. Yeah they may have put up 70 points this past weekend but they also gave up 63! WVU defense has looked horrific this year and I just don't see them being as effective offensively against Texas. I think the public will pound WVU +7 which is why I really love Texas @ home against IMO an overrated Mountaineer squad. Any thoughts/opinions appreciated!

rofacapper
    rofacapper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 697

Completely agree. Texas wins and covers.

Blackroc78
    Blackroc78's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BlacK_HazE View Post
    West Virginia's Wins thus far

Marshall

Teams Played: Western Carolina, Rice, Ohio, Purdue
    Passing Defense: 1,355 yards allowed (90th ranked)
    Points against: 44.4 (124th ranked)
    Total Defense: 2,497 yards allowed; 495.8 yards a game (115th ranked)

Maryland
    Teams Played: William & Mary, Temple, Uconn
    Passing Defense: 711 yards allowed (18th ranked)
    Total Defense: 1,045 yards allowed; 261.25 yards a game (8th ranked)
    Points against 22.0 (47th ranked nationally)

Baylor
    Teams Played: SMU, Sam Houston St, ULMPassing Defense: 1,601 yards allowed (120th ranked)

(Excluding James Madison for obvious reasons)

When you examine West Virginia closely it's easy to see that out of all top 10 teams (and probably top 25) they are the most unproven. Not taking anything away from Geno Smith and his video game like #'s but this offense is untested and we do not really know how talented they really are going up against an elite defense. The last time West Virginia played an elite defense similar to what they will see this Saturday was last year against LSU (& no I am not saying that Texas' D is as talented as LSU's look @ their schedule from a year ago). In addition, West Virginia's defense ranks 96th nationally in ppg. Yeah they may have put up 70 points this past weekend but they also gave up 63! WVU defense has looked horrific this year and I just don't see them being as effective offensively against Texas. I think the public will pound WVU +7 which is why I really love Texas @ home against IMO an overrated Mountaineer squad. Any thoughts/opinions appreciated!

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Baylor's defense is not that bad really, what is the total going to be? WVU is hard to stop

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    Baylor's defense is not that bad really, what is the total going to be? WVU is hard to stop
    75..over or nothing..baylor d is pretty damn bad tho,,,the teams they have played before wvu were not exactly world beaters and they been allowing over 50% conversions on 3rd down...that said think tex d is proving to be overrated...doubt there be a wvu big 12 gm that i dont play the over on,,,guess we see how it turns out but think it end up plus units on the yr...

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3364

LSU did beat up WVU last year in Morgantown, but Smith was able to throw the rock on LSU'S D. WVU will score against TX, the question is how their D will hold up against ASH and company.

Catchn_Picks
    Catchn_Picks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15716

Gotta agree..line may go to TX -7 later this week after another good performance by TX.

Get it now, I believe.

BlacK_HazE
    #FEARtheSPEAR

Baylor
    Teams Played: SMU, Sam Houston St, ULM
    Passing Defense: 1,601 yards allowed (120th ranked)

BlacK_HazE
    #FEARtheSPEAR

This game is going to come down to who can get critical stops defensively. I feel a lot safer relying on Texas' D @ home to get me a couple of stops over WVU's squad anyday. This is WVU first road game of the year & I don't think they will click as well as we've seen them perform in the first few weeks of the season

GWOZOZO
    GWOZOZO's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    LSU did beat up WVU last year in Morgantown, but Smith was able to throw the rock on LSU'S D. WVU will score against TX, the question is how their D will hold up against ASH and company.
    21-47 loss against LSU in WVirginia is not a positive for WVU, and I can't imagine that Smith had that good of stats if the score was so lopsided. I see a closer game than 21-47. But Texas will cover -7 easily.
    Last edited by GWOZOZO; 10-02-12 at 02:56 PM. Reason: typo

Easy-Rider 66

Quote Originally Posted by GWOZOZO View Post
    21-47 loss against LSU in WVirginia is not a positive for WVU, and I can't imagine that Smith had that good of stats if the score was so lopsided. I see a closer game than 21-47. But Texas will cover -7 easily.
    Here are some stats from that game to consider.

WVU Total yards 533 of which 463 came in the air
    28 first downs
    Score was 27-21 late in the 3rd Q when LSU took a kickoff to the house.

LSU did physically control the game, but Smith was able to throw on that D. He did throw it 65 times though. Expect more of the same against TX.

GWOZOZO
    GWOZOZO's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    Here are some stats from that game to consider.

WVU Total yards 533 of which 463 came in the air
    28 first downs
    Score was 27-21 late in the 3rd Q when LSU took a kickoff to the house.

LSU did physically control the game, but Smith was able to throw on that D. He did throw it 65 times though. Expect more of the same against TX.
    Point taken. WVU could be legit and show up for this game. But they would need a phenomal performance from the Smith-Tavon connection.

Jeff Grant
    Jeff Grant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2924

I'll be discussing this game at great length on Tuesday's SBR Forum Radio Show

agharah1
    agharah1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1191

WVU = Gimmick offense + Big East Talent. Do not underestimate how big of a step up in talent and competition playing in the Big 12 will be for the Mountaineers. Also don't forget that Geno Smith has had at least 1 3-INT game in each of the last two years (both vs. Syracuse!)

Easy-Rider 66

Quote Originally Posted by agharah1 View Post
    WVU = Gimmick offense + Big East Talent. Do not underestimate how big of a step up in talent and competition playing in the Big 12 will be for the Mountaineers. Also don't forget that Geno Smith has had at least 1 3-INT game in each of the last two years (both vs. Syracuse!)
    Don't know if I would call WVU'S Offense a gimmick when Smith may be a 1st round draft choice and Austin/Bailey are top notch wide outs. This week will tell the tale on how good WVU really is.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Smith will probably go #1 overall guy

Easy-Rider 66

Smith will probably go #1 overall guy
    I should have wrote that he will be a high first round draft choice barring injury. But like to be cautious because you never know Smith will grade out in certain criteria. But more than likely he will be a top 5 pick.

FunkieMunkie79
    FunkieMunkie79's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

I'm really liking West Virginia +7 in this game. I know their Defense hasn't looked too good, but it's going to be TOUGH to slow their offense down. This will be a great game to watch!!!

jakeloftin2186
    jakeloftin2186's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1188

i think WV wins by 10+ reason why is because texas cant tackle and mack brown has stated that this is a problem with his team

Eric22174
    Eric22174's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3599

Having actually played against Tavon Austin of WVU in high school....Texas is going to have one hell of a time covering him. His quickness and speed is out of this world. Texas is going to need to get pressure on the QB. Tavon is one of those guys that you just want to crack his ass because he is so small but still to this day the lil sh** is still slicing and dicing.

Check out his video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBjUKd0lOEE

BlacK_HazE
    #FEARtheSPEAR

just keep hammerin wvu for me so this line moves down
    Last edited by BlacK_HazE; 10-03-12 at 06:28 PM.

Eric22174

Quote Originally Posted by BlacK_HazE View Post
    You guys just keep hammerin wvu for me so this line moves down
    Actually taking Texas.

BlacK_HazE
    #FEARtheSPEAR

Quote Originally Posted by Eric22174 View Post
    Having actually played against Tavon Austin of WVU in high school....Texas is going to have one hell of a time covering him. His quickness and speed is out of this world. Texas is going to need to get pressure on the QB. Tavon is one of those guys that you just want to crack his ass because he is so small but still to this day the lil sh** is still slicing and dicing.

Check out his video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBjUKd0lOEE
    Dude is a beast, but that video wasn't that impressive. If you want to see true SPEED, check out mcguffie

Eric22174

Video is nice. Love the audio. It's shitty that he played for Rice. I'm not sure why they havent gave him the touches since having a good 2010 season.

jakeloftin2186
    jakeloftin2186's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1188

Blaze must be from Texas if he knws about the legend of mcguffie

ZINISTER
    ZINISTER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4786

Facing better Pressure & Coverage

The pass rush will be more of a factor for Gino this week. Baylor sent three guys creating no pressure what so ever. Texas will have to get it done with four and some timely blitz packages. Baylor blew several coverage assignments. If you watched the highlights you seen two Baylor Db's jogging in endzone when WVU Wr caught a touchdown right in front of em'. Texas will flat get after an offense. I was leaning towards the UNDER on this one. Texas likes to control the ball on the ground if capable. I don't read stats I watch games being played and WVU's D can't stop a good ground attack. I understand Texas has some injuries on O but they will have long time consuming drives to keep that WVU O off the field. Skip the point spread and take the UNDER. Peace
    Points Awarded:

BlacK_HazE gave ZINISTER 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

tomseaver286
    tomseaver286's Avatar Become A Pro!

I read all of these same arguments before WVU routed Clemson in the Orange Bowl (2011), and Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl (2008). Their offense is always labeled gimmicky and then they destroy some BIG program.

WVU has an awful defense, but a track star offense. If this turns into a shootout, I don't see how Texas has the ponies to keep up.

BlacK_HazE
    #FEARtheSPEAR

Quote Originally Posted by jakeloftin2186 View Post
    Blaze must be from Texas if he knws about the legend of mcguffie
    lol, no im from Omaha, NE

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Graduated from Cy-Fair, heard all about the kid right after I graduated.

tomseaver286
    tomseaver286's Avatar Become A Pro!

Like I said, everyone labels WVU's offense a gimmick and then they score, score, and score some more.