No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Iowa State a home dog to Tulsa?

Really surprised by this. Cyclones went bowling last year and rarely underachieve in games under Rhoads. Starting QB and backfield returns for ISU. Two stud LB's. Question marks at receiver and up front, but still, the game is in Ames.

Is Tulsa supposed to be solid this year? What am I missing here?

AskWhole702
    CupCakes
    AskWhole702's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes is ISU ML worth the risk?

mugsey15
    mugsey15's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

This game jumped out at me also. I am planning on taking Iowa St.

nvrlose37
    nvrlose37's Avatar Become A Pro!

One of my top picks is ISU ML. Not only did ISU end the year well and return players but they are going against a Tulsa squad that lost a great QB in Kinne. This game will be good but I'm surprised ISU isn't being touted to win.

ConferenceChalk
    2013 YTD: 42-35-1
    ConferenceChalk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 164

Quote Originally Posted by mugsey15 View Post
    This game jumped out at me also. I am planning on taking Iowa St.
    Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who liked this. Tulsa is breaking in a new quarterback on the road, and that's something we usually look for in teams to bet against week 1. Iowa State may not tear up the Big 12 but would be competing every year for the C-USA title. Also, take a look at how Paul Rhoads has done against non BCS teams during his tenure. 6-0 SU, 4-1 ATS

N Dakota State (NL) 35-3
    @ Kent State (-3) 34-14
    Army (-10.5) 31-10
    N Illinois (-4) 27-10 (NIU was really good that year)
    N Iowa (-8.5) 27-0
    N Iowa (-6.5) 20-19

Hookem77
    Hookem77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

I cant wait to see the lines next week against Iowa, I think ISU will crush them. This is going to be a year to fade the hawkeyes, maybe not game one but after that starting with the cyclones

hahanson
    hahanson's Avatar Become A Pro!

Iowa State hasn't won in Iowa City since 2002...I wouldn't count on that

Hookem77

I know, but I think this is the weakest Iowa team in over a decade. They lose their best WR and OL by far, they lose their RB, back up back ups back up at RB and now have some scrub in there. They lose norm parker and bring in a new OC so a team marked by consistency loses it. And dont get me started on the defensive line, they have no one to rush the passer.

hahanson

Quote Originally Posted by Hookem77 View Post
    I know, but I think this is the weakest Iowa team in over a decade. They lose their best WR and OL by far, they lose their RB, back up back ups back up at RB and now have some scrub in there. They lose norm parker and bring in a new OC so a team marked by consistency loses it. And dont get me started on the defensive line, they have no one to rush the passer.
    Their wide recievers will be fine, and they have one the best QBs in the Big 10. I'm hoping they look like a different team from the years before with Greg Davis as the offensive coordinator. They need to throw, because you're right they don't have a rb. I know the D line is very young, but linebackers and secondary should be alright. Iowa State doesn't have a god throwing QB so Iowa should be okay there.

Who knows with this game, but we will learn a lot after week 1. I think it says something that Iowa State is a home dog to Tulsa. But, when they play Iowa it seems to always be different.

I'm just glad football is back...

Hookem77

Dont get me started on greg davis, he is one of the worst offensive coordinators in football. He was mack brown's buddy and therefore OC for nearly two decades and NO ONE ever wanted him as a coach while Texas lost their DC to a head coaching job almost every year. If it were not for the greatness and magic of Vince Young and Colt McCoy, Davis would have been retired years ago.

He does actually fit better into Iowa's dink and dunk attack. He loves using TE's and Iowa is loaded there. I just see this Iowa team without a strong RB struggling in the redzone. McNutt was their TD machine last year and who on the roster is going to punch it in the endzone?

hahanson

Dont get me started on greg davis, he is one of the worst offensive coordinators in football. He was mack brown's buddy and therefore OC for nearly two decades and NO ONE ever wanted him as a coach while Texas lost their DC to a head coaching job almost every year. If it were not for the greatness and magic of Vince Young and Colt McCoy, Davis would have been retired years ago.

He does actually fit better into Iowa's dink and dunk attack. He loves using TE's and Iowa is loaded there. I just see this Iowa team without a strong RB struggling in the redzone. McNutt was their TD machine last year and who on the roster is going to punch it in the endzone?
    I'm just glad O'Keefe is out, and Iowa has someone who will bring a different look. Big 10 Ds were getting very used to Iowa's vanilla offense. I don't know who will be their red zone back. I think there will be a mix of two backs, once of which played fb.

Yes, Iowa is down a lot this year, but I'd rather go into a season without the expectations. Iowa is terrible playing up to expectations. I'd rather surprise a few teams.

ConferenceChalk
    2013 YTD: 42-35-1
    ConferenceChalk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 164

Be careful with Iowa. They always seem to be good when no one expects anything. That said, they always seem to suck when people think they're going to be good.

hahanson

Quote Originally Posted by ConferenceChalk View Post
    Be careful with Iowa. They always seem to be good when no one expects anything. That said, they always seem to suck when people think they're going to be good.
    Exactly....

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

I cant wait to see the lines next week against Iowa, I think ISU will crush them. This is going to be a year to fade the hawkeyes, maybe not game one but after that starting with the cyclones
    it's iowa -7' already

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

Quote Originally Posted by nvrlose37 View Post
    One of my top picks is ISU ML. Not only did ISU end the year well and return players but they are going against a Tulsa squad that lost a great QB in Kinne. This game will be good but I'm surprised ISU isn't being touted to win.
    I just put 3 bills on ISU. Let's cash this bitch...

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

I'm not a big Greg Davis believer either.

I think Northern Illinois covers vs. Iowa this Saturday.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Although I'm an Oklahoma alumni, I live in Tulsa and follow them closely.

I was actually going to go pretty large on Tulsa until the line came out and they were favored. I was pretty surprised. I expected them to by like a 3 point dog. Although the line indicates the books agree with me, I think I'll just make a normal wager on the game.

Tulsa is pretty good for a Conference USA team. Likewise, I feel like people are a little too high on Iowa State. They're an average team. I warned everyone of that before their bowl game last year against Rutgers when a lot of people here were taking them.

I love Iowa State's coach and the way their team plays but I could see them overlooking a Tulsa and getting beat early in the year.

Also, TU might be better at QB this year. We have the Nebraska transfer Cody Green and he fits the offense pretty well. Be careful taking Iowa State.

A C-USA team is favored on the road against a Big 12 team and I'm already seeing everyone in love with Iowa State.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7870

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post

I was actually going to go pretty large on Tulsa until the line came out and they were favored. I was pretty surprised. I expected them to by like a 3 point dog. Although the line indicates the books agree with me, I think I'll just make a normal wager on the game.

Tulsa is pretty good for a Conference USA team. Likewise, I feel like people are a little too high on Iowa State. They're an average team. I warned everyone of that before their bowl game last year against Rutgers when a lot of people here were taking them.

I love Iowa State's coach and the way their team plays but I could see them overlooking a Tulsa and getting beat early in the year.

Also, TU might be better at QB this year. We have the Nebraska transfer Cody Green and he fits the offense pretty well. Be careful taking Iowa State.

A C-USA team is favored on the road against a Big 12 team and I'm already seeing everyone in love with Iowa State.
    WE??????? who the hell are you affiliated with? i thought you were an ou grad? so what if you follow tulsa closely!

big d, folks call you a homer, not to be trusted. and this might be why dude. come on with the 'we' shit.

Night-Tripper
    Fade Me!
    Night-Tripper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3326

Has Tulsa decided to go with the Zone Read? Hope that's the case, because Cody Green ain't gonna scare anyone with his arm...

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    WE??????? who the hell are you affiliated with? i thought you were an ou grad? so what if you follow tulsa closely!

big d, folks call you a homer, not to be trusted. and this might be why dude. come on with the 'we' shit.
    I don't really care what a bunch of people on the internet I don't even know think about me.

If I'm a homer because I'm a fan of the teams I live by, then so be it. I actually goto games and live near my teams. I'm not like the Lakers and Yankees fans.

Maybe people can't see that not only do I bet on sports, but I also am a fan of certain teams. With that said, I try not to bet on many OU games because I am biased towards them obviously.

As for Tulsa, they run a lot of zone read and option game.

Westside
    Westside's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 307

shocked at this too

BigDofBA

I think the books set this line knowing people would take Iowa State since they are a Big 12 team at home.

Watch the line be around a PK or Iowa State -1 by game time.

I still like Tulsa though. People laughed at me when I took them straight up at Notre Dame two years ago and they won. They won't be scared in Ames.

GL.

redrum
    Update your status
    redrum's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

iowa st qb can't throw love tulsa

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER
    CollegeOverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 217

I thought Tulsa was supposed to be pretty good this year actually

og4667
    og4667's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2920

line and action says it all for me...tulsa or nothing

darko3131
    Update your status
    darko3131's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Tulsa is a nasty squad but can't keep that OK ST. game out of my head. Taking the points

numismatist
    Le roi est mort, vive le roi...
    numismatist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1369

Vegas isn't stupid. Don't get fooled.

hankcream
    hankcream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5458

Looks like a trap, but I'm not falling for it ISU is the better team especially @ home. 2 units here

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by hankcream View Post
    Looks like a trap, but I'm not falling for it ISU is the better team especially @ home. 2 units here
    What makes you say that?

Is Iowa State capable of winning this game at home? Sure they are. With that said, I feel like people give them a lot more credit then they should. Iowa State got up for one big game last year against Oklahoma State. It was a national televised game on a Friday night and everyone was watching. Likewise, Oklahoma state had a tragic plane crash the day before and came out flat. Upsets happen.

Iowa State beat Kanas 13-10, lost to Rutgers by double digits, and finished 6-7 last year.

So basically your betting on a team that was under .500 despite having a good coach that gets every drop of effort out of the team.

I really feel like Tulsa can outscore Iowa State here. Tulsa has the better offense and this should be one of Tulsa's better defenses in a long time.

Nothing is lock and it won't surprise me Iowa State wins, I just think Tulsa has a really good shot here and the books agree with me.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Thanks for the insight BigD. This is what I was looking for. Don't know much about Tulsa, and they have to be favored for a reason here.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    iowa st qb can't throw love tulsa
    I'm actually surprised Rhoads went with Jantz over Barnett. Steele is an all-hit or all-miss type QB who seems too erratic to QB in the Big 12 on a week-to-week basis.

ISU has two stud LB's back in Klein and Knott, but they're weak and inexperienced up front. I see the other day that Rhoads said he might play 12 different DL this year -- yikes.

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Thanks for the insight BigD. This is what I was looking for. Don't know much about Tulsa, and they have to be favored for a reason here.
    Tulsa was 8-5 last year and had an offense that ranked in the top 30 nationally. Their defense will be even better this year. Before everyone jumps my ass and says that their offensive statistics don't matter because they played in C-USA, check out the teams they lost to.

Note: Ranking was at the time Tulsa played them.

#1 Oklahoma
    #8 Oklahoma State
    #4 Boise State
    #8 Houston

Then they lost to BYU in the final seconds in a game they had won. So basically Tulsa played 4 teams that were in the top 10 most of the year.

Tulsa won in South Bend two years ago. Playing Iowa State is almost a step down compared to some of the teams Tulsa schedules.

I'm not guaranteeing a Tulsa victory but I do think they should win. Iowa State overachieved last year and finished 6-7.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Tulsa was 8-5 last year and had an offense that ranked in the top 30 nationally. Their defense will be even better this year. Before everyone jumps my ass and says that their offensive statistics don't matter because they played in C-USA, check out the teams they lost to.

Note: Ranking was at the time Tulsa played them.

#1 Oklahoma
    #8 Oklahoma State
    #4 Boise State
    #8 Houston

Then they lost to BYU in the final seconds in a game they had won. So basically Tulsa played 4 teams that were in the top 10 most of the year.

Tulsa won in South Bend two years ago. Playing Iowa State is almost a step down compared to some of the teams Tulsa schedules.

I'm not guaranteeing a Tulsa victory but I do think they should win. Iowa State overachieved last year and finished 6-7.
    Cody Green is the question mark for me. How good will he be? I want to say he's played ISU before; wasn't he the starter when Nebraska turned the ball over like 10 times and lost to the Cyclones at home a few years ago?

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Cody Green is the question mark for me. How good will he be? I want to say he's played ISU before; wasn't he the starter when Nebraska turned the ball over like 10 times and lost to the Cyclones at home a few years ago?
    No. That was Zach Lee.

I'm actually surprised Green won the job. I liked the backup better. We will see.