SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mississippi State +7.0

Mississippi State +7.0

The 2006 SEC season starts for both these clubs as the Mississippi State Bulldogs host the South Carolina Gamecocks in a non-divisional match-up under the lights on ESPN.

The Gamecocks had a very surprising season a year ago in the down SEC East, and almost pulled off the unthinkable by winning it in HC Spurrier’s first season at the helm. Expectations have risen in Columbia because of it, but I’ve got a nagging feeling they’ll be disappointed when this season comes to a close. They only return 12 starters from last year’s team and don’t have nearly as much experienced depth. They will put forth a formidable offensive attack that will no doubt win them many of their ballgames in ’06, but I don’t like the looks of their stop unit at all.

Miss State is now in the 3rd season under the Croom regime, and this is usually when a program begins to flourish. Sixteen starters are back, and Starkville used to be a very tough place for opponents to go into and win. I’m looking for the cow bells to be out in full effect this evening, and for the Dawgs to feed off its crowds enthusiasm and give the ‘Ol Ball Coach and his Cocks a major run for their money. Mississippi State boasts a respectable SEC caliber defense that limited opponents to 23.5 PPG last season, and looks to be even stronger this year with eight starters back.

The Cocks defense will give the beleaguered MSU offense a chance to pick up some early season confidence and put some points on the board. It's not a dominant unit, and the Dawgs should have success against it. If not, the Dawgs have another impotent offense on its hands, and will do absolutely nothing in the SEC regardless of how good its stop unit is. Look for Starkville to be in a frenzy tonight as the Dawgs battle Spurrier and his Cocks down to the wire in a good old-fashioned SEC slugfest.

Game Time: Thursday Aug 31 '06 8:00Pm (ET)

By: Mike Rose
    http://www.who2beton.com

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

I see a lot of people on this one, but has anyone really watched MSU to see how bad they are?...can't take So. Carolina here though (road chalk in conference in week one is a no go for me)...when'd you get this number, curiously? they haven't shown a seven on this game for at least a week?...