bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

USC QB John David Booty

The QB battle at USC came to a sudden and ignominious end over the summer as Mark Sanchez was arrested on sexual assault charges, thus forcing the Trojans and Pete Carrol to hand the reigns over to John David Booty. Booty, a 6-3, 195-pound redshirt junior saw limited action in 2005, completing 64% of his passes and earning a passer efficiency rating of 143.73. Says Street & Smith of the new Southern Cal quarterback "He does not have to be Matt Leinart for the Trojans to have another terrific season, but he can't make big mistakes in crucial situations." So, what should we all expect out of John David Booty in 2006?

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

He's got mighty big shoes to fill. Leinart and Bush were the offense last year. If USC is going to repeat as NC contenders, it's their defense that will have to get them there. Close games like against ND, ASU and Fresno State could go against them this year w/o Bush and Leinart.

Wassymac
    Wassymac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack
    He's got mighty big shoes to fill. Leinart and Bush were the offense last year. If USC is going to repeat as NC contenders, it's their defense that will have to get them there. Close games like against ND, ASU and Fresno State could go against them this year w/o Bush and Leinart.
    I think USC's career rushing TD leader and one of the most talented receiving core's in the country played a small role in that offense as well. A great O-line didn't hurt them either. They've got a tough one right out of the gate @ Arkansas...should be a fun one to watch with a lot of unknowns.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

just like the rest of the Booty's he's overrated...I mean how hard is it to stand behind that line and throw to Jarrett and Smith?...I think Sanchez will be the guy by the end of the year...

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is the year to catch USC. I expect them to have some surprising losses on their record.

bigboydan

this is definately the year it could happen cap.

pags11

if USC is gonna lose, it'll be real early (Arkansas-although now highly unlikely with RB McFadden out for Arky) or when Nebraska comes to town...otherwise maybe ASU, although they'll be rolling by midseason with all of their young guys feeling good...plus their coaching is so damn good...one loss in the last three years!...maybe a bowl game loss is possible, but they are damn tough...

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Blue Ribbon Preview.

There was a time there, around mid-May, when it looked as though neither expected competitor, junior John David Booty (6-3, 195) and redshirt freshman Mark Sanchez (6-4, 215), would even be around in the fall.

Each had their own issues this spring, with Booty practicing just once before suffering severe back spasms that required surgery and Sanchez being suspended from the team on April 27 after sexual assault charges were filed against him.

While Booty was recovering from surgery quicker than expected and was already throwing in early June, this wasn't the first instance of back trouble. Booty experienced spasms during his redshirt freshman campaign of 2004. Carroll was aware of a pre-existing back condition before Booty even arrived at USC.

As for Sanchez, the 2004 consensus high school player of the year at Mission Viejo, Calif., the charges were dropped by Los Angeles County prosecutors on June 2 because of a lack of evidence, and he was reinstated to the team. Carroll said that Sanchez, 19, could face team-related discipline for underage drinking and using a fake ID on the night he was arrested.

USC offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin watched Sanchez throw three days after the charges were dropped and came away impressed.

"First off, we're excited to have Mark back and that behind us," Kiffin said. "That experience can help him moving forward. On the field, he looked great; he was really throwing the ball well."

"David has just now started throwing, but he'll be 100 percent come August and the first practice. It's a wide-open competition, the only reason John David is first on the depth chart is because they make us fill one out. That means nothing."

Heading into spring practice, before the back issues, Carroll did say Booty was the front-runner.

"John David Booty is in the lead position going into the spring," he said. "He had a great showing last spring when Matt Leinart was out with his elbow injury, and we expect he'll do so again this spring. But Mark Sanchez will contest him for the job. The competition is on."

It wasn't a surprise that Booty was No. 1 entering the spring, considering Sanchez was a redshirt last season while Booty completed 27-of-42 passes (64.3 percent) for 327 yards and three touchdowns and just two interceptions. Booty saw action as Leinart's backup in 10 of the team's 13 games.

This is Booty's fourth year in the program -- he graduated from high school a year early and enrolled at USC in 2003. The younger brother of Josh Booty, who played for the Florida Marlins and the Cleveland Browns, John David was actually expected to compete against Leinart back in 2003, in what should've been his senior year in high school.

But Leinart became a superstar and Booty's been patiently waiting to embark upon what many thought would be a prolific collegiate career. Before Booty suffered the back spasms, Kiffin said he looked "awesome, a bona fide, big-time quarterback," this spring.

While no one is sure who'll be under center come the season-opener at Arkansas on Sept. 2, Kiffin is sure of one thing.

"We want a starter by the opener, we want one guy going forward with the offense," he said. "We have no intention, none, of alternating the two of them every other drive or quarter or any of that. To us, that's not a possibility."

The scouting report on each signal caller has Booty the better decision-maker, which is expected considering his four years in the system. And while both have NFL size, Sanchez is the prototype in terms of height, weight, strength, throwing arm -- you name it. It's almost like he was born to play quarterback. Booty is more mobile, and a better runner, but that's never really been as aspect of the Trojans' offense.

The lone knock from the coaching staff this spring against Sanchez -- who has been universally praised for his work ethic since arriving on campus -- was being a little slow on reads and making the commitment to pass a little quicker.

Carroll said after spring practice that Booty, if healthy, would enter the fall taking the first snaps. But, as Kiffin said, nothing is set in stone.

"The thing is one guy is first string and the other guy is second string. In essence we are in the same position coming out of spring time," Carroll said. "It is the only thing that makes sense to me. It doesn't diminish any of the competitiveness for the fall. This is a different situation than when we named Matt two years ago."

"We need to make sure John David makes it back. If he makes it back and he comes out flying, then it is going to be hard for Mark to knock him out, just because of the background and the information. I wouldn't count Mark out. He has done too well and he has exceeded every threshold. He will be so much more confident when he comes back in to fall camp after putting spring in his back pocket. It is a big jump I think. Both guys can play. We are in a very lucky situation."

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I wish people would give more credit to USC's offensive
    line like Wassy did. If USC didn't have an amazing o-line
    Leinart wouldn't of had all day to pass and Reggie bush
    and Lendell White wouldn't of had the holes they ran thru.

O-Lines never get credit which is a travesity. D-Lines
    are underrated as well. All good defensive teams Put
    pressure on the opposing teams QB and thats a fact.

I love football!!!

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by imgv94

I love football!!!
    That's why people better watch out for the Hawkeyes

imgv94

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    That's why people better watch out for the Hawkeyes
    If you say Iowa, then everyone
    should play close attention!!! Looking forward
    to your write-ups and hoping you like alot of games
    I like!!!!

koko
    koko's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 200

I love football!!!

I totally agree the O-line was nice indeed. However, I really don't think Reggie was running through too many holes last you. Lendell was without a doubt, but Reggie prefered to run outside and away from contact.

pags11

How is SC only favored by 7.5 at Arky right now?..

imgv94

Quote Originally Posted by koko
    I totally agree the O-line was nice indeed. However, I really don't think Reggie was running through too many holes last you. Lendell was without a doubt, but Reggie prefered to run outside and away from contact.
    I agree with you. Reggie would of been a star
    even if USC had a below average O-Line. But I do
    think his yards per carry would have been less..

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

I agree with you. Reggie would of been a star
    even if USC had a below average O-Line. But I do
    think his yards per carry would have been less..
    Put Reggie Bush in a better defensive conference, and he wouldnt be the Reggie Bush we know now. I think The Prick could run wild in the Pac 10.

bigboydan

Reggie was mainly a product of the system IMO

pags11

Reggie Bush a product of the system?...Timmy Chang was a product of the system, are are the Texas Tech QB's...where are talking about "a system" where he had to share the ball with Steve Smith, Dwayne Jarret, Domonique Byrd and Lendale White...are you serious dan?...Bush ran over a lot of good defenses in non-conference games too...Reggie Bush is one of the most electrifying football players I've ever seen at the college level...period...
    Last edited by pags11; 08-07-06 at 01:49 AM.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by pags11
    Bush ran over a lot of good defenses in non-conference games too.
    Here and there. If he had to do it week in and week out in a tougher defensive conference, Im sure his numbers wouldnt be what they were. He would of got wore down more, and probably slowed down from all the hits. We will never know....well maybe we will now that he is in the NFL.